The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Just done a 5K coastal path run. Really hard work in places but wonderfully invigorating - running in the sea breeze :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Just done a 5K coastal path run. Really hard work in places but wonderfully invigorating - running in the sea breeze :D

Nice one Bruce.

Rehab for me yesterday was a 12 mile run in 1hr 44 minutes. Slow but steady.

I'm up in Bolton for the Easter weekend and have to squeeze in an 18 miler. HG are you up for that? Should be my longest run but it'll be a taper run for you. Anyone else is welcome to join in for all or part of it. I'll let you know route details when I've worked it out.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:36 pm

thigh twinged on my run today. Had to stop

Tres annoying. My training has gone down the swannie for several reasons in the last fortnight
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Just done a 5K coastal path run. Really hard work in places but wonderfully invigorating - running in the sea breeze :D

Nice one Bruce.

I'm up in Bolton for the Easter weekend and have to squeeze in an 18 miler. HG are you up for that? Should be my longest run but it'll be a taper run for you. Anyone else is welcome to join in for all or part of it. I'll let you know route details when I've worked it out.
Cheers, Gary.

I'll be in America on Easter Weekend (in an elaborate bid to avoid trying to keep up with you ;) ).

Bad news, Verbal. Hope you can get yourself working properly soon, mate.

Am off for a swim now (well, a mess around in the water and a perving session 8) )

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:27 pm

Hope this works.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/76003788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PM me your details if you are interested. There are a number of strategic cut off points so it's open to anyone to join in.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

Nice one Bruce.

Well done Bruce - your starting to rack them miles up :oyea:

Hi GtE - Yes, I'd be up for a run that weekend. Sunday would probably be best for me or early Saturday as I'm due to marshall the Pike Race that day. Not sure about it being a taper though :oops: my longest run so far this time has been 18 miles and I only envisage doing one 20 miler before the big day. I did 18 miles today and it wasn't good. Felt out of sorts from the off really and mentally I aint too good over the 14/15 mile mark.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Nice one Bruce.

Well done Bruce - your starting to rack them miles up :oyea:

Hi GtE - Yes, I'd be up for a run that weekend. Sunday would probably be best for me or early Saturday as I'm due to marshall the Pike Race that day. Not sure about it being a taper though :oops: my longest run so far this time has been 18 miles and I only envisage doing one 20 miler before the big day. I did 18 miles today and it wasn't good. Felt out of sorts from the off really and mentally I aint too good over the 14/15 mile mark.

I would have suggested Sunday normally but as it's Easter Sunday it's not really on. I've posted a route for the Saturday for an 8:30 start if that's not too late. At 08:30 min pace that should take us up to about 10:45 finish. Bear in mind this will only be two weeks before the race so it should be a taper run anyway. Up to you. Be great to have some company on the route.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Ok - will let you know shortly.

The link doesn't seem to let me view anything :conf:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:22 pm

First proper month back down the gym since Sept '09 (two and a half years). During the armchair time I lost 20+ lbs and got a bit older. I've been a gym member pretty much the whole of that time but haven't been able to get down and have regular sessions due to illness, I'd feel ok and have a session then need 2 weeks off to recover. So, after all that a whole month of fairly regular gym-going has been awesome. Best session yet was last night, especially considering I got my days wrong and trained the same area twice in a row.

Considering trying some running. It'll have to be on treadmills til I get some bouncy running shoes.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:21 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:First proper month back down the gym since Sept '09 (two and a half years). During the armchair time I lost 20+ lbs and got a bit older. I've been a gym member pretty much the whole of that time but haven't been able to get down and have regular sessions due to illness, I'd feel ok and have a session then need 2 weeks off to recover. So, after all that a whole month of fairly regular gym-going has been awesome. Best session yet was last night, especially considering I got my days wrong and trained the same area twice in a row.

Considering trying some running. It'll have to be on treadmills til I get some bouncy running shoes.

Good man. Although I would suggest NO running 'til you get those shoes. Get your running gait assessed and then take the advice of the shop as to which type of runner you are and which shoes will suit you best. Thank them for their time then go online and buy the same shoes for 20-30% less.

Running in the wrong shoes is like boxing without gloves. You WILL get injured.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:First proper month back down the gym since Sept '09 (two and a half years). During the armchair time I lost 20+ lbs and got a bit older. I've been a gym member pretty much the whole of that time but haven't been able to get down and have regular sessions due to illness, I'd feel ok and have a session then need 2 weeks off to recover. So, after all that a whole month of fairly regular gym-going has been awesome. Best session yet was last night, especially considering I got my days wrong and trained the same area twice in a row.

Good man. Although I would suggest NO running 'til you get those shoes. Get your running gait assessed and then take the advice of the shop as to which type of runner you are and which shoes will suit you best. Thank them for their time then go online and buy the same shoes for 20-30% less.

Running in the wrong shoes is like boxing without gloves. You WILL get injured.
Very good advice, every time I look in the window of a running shop they're up to around £100 a pair, or more, but I see Mike Ashley has a sale on. Might have to do the "oh dear, seem to have forgotten my wallet" routine.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Harriers AGM tonight - had to get up and do my coaches report which always makes me nervous, speaking in front of lots of people. I get all shy!

Glad its over!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Nike+ sensor jobbie's arrived. Hmmmmmmmm :?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Ok - will let you know shortly.

The link doesn't seem to let me view anything :conf:

Try again? http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/76003788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Harrumph! :(

I used my new Nike+ gadget tonight and set it for 5K. I thought that it would stop as soon as it indicated that I'd completed my run, but it didn't, it carried on timing my walk home on top. By the time I'd realised this it was showing 5.16K in 31'43", so I don't actually know what I ran the 5K in (it did tell me but I wasn't listening). Still, I'll know for next time.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Harrumph! :(

I used my new Nike+ gadget tonight and set it for 5K. I thought that it would stop as soon as it indicated that I'd completed my run, but it didn't, it carried on timing my walk home on top. By the time I'd realised this it was showing 5.16K in 31'43", so I don't actually know what I ran the 5K in (it did tell me but I wasn't listening). Still, I'll know for next time.
when you load it up to nike+ you should still be able to tell as it will break it down into 1k laps - and give a graph on which it will be clear where your pace dropped off and you started walking.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:10 pm

Need some running motivation. Been well lazy recently and football is stoppong soon too :(

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Need some running motivation. Been well lazy recently and football is stoppong soon too :(
I just saw freddie Ljungberg running half naked past the Common... if you run fast you might catch him - I think he was doing a charity 5K circuit... (I was having a pastie by the pond at the time..)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:32 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Need some running motivation. Been well lazy recently and football is stoppong soon too :(
I just saw freddie Ljungberg running half naked past the Common... if you run fast you might catch him - I think he was doing a charity 5K circuit... (I was having a pastie by the pond at the time..)
:D Wheres my trainers?!

(i'll come and join you sharing the pasty...)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:34 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:
:D Wheres my trainers?!

(i'll come and join you sharing the pasty...)
I've scoffed the pastie hun - but I have some huge chocolate chip cookies and some crunchie bars for pudding!