The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:47 am

I've thought of a tactic for you, Spotty. Train her to attack people with Ecigs, then simply get someone to sit behind the finish line puffing away on one. :oyea:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:08 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:I've thought of a tactic for you, Spotty. Train her to attack people with Ecigs, then simply get someone to sit behind the finish line puffing away on one. :oyea:
I like it Bruce. I shall try that next pre-season. :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:43 pm

My uncle did Ironman this weekend, this is a video of him finishing after 17 hours. Skip to 4 minutes to see the final push:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUWmzmWu1s8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At 62 this was a massive achievement and we're all really proud of him. Congratulations to anybody else who did it!

Here's his donation page: http://www.justgiving.com/Steve-Welsh2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:53 pm

There you go GtE, you have ages yet!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:45 pm

keveh wrote:My uncle did Ironman this weekend, this is a video of him finishing after 17 hours. Skip to 4 minutes to see the final push:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUWmzmWu1s8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At 62 this was a massive achievement and we're all really proud of him. Congratulations to anybody else who did it!

Here's his donation page: http://www.justgiving.com/Steve-Welsh2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw that shared on Facebook. Gutsy! Well done to him.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Ran a couple of miles today, its a start! Would have been longer if my running partner hadn't spent ages attempting to take his jogging bottoms off with his trainers still on... :roll:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:49 pm

keveh wrote:My uncle did Ironman this weekend, this is a video of him finishing after 17 hours. Skip to 4 minutes to see the final push:

Saw that on FB too. What an achievement. Was it just pure fatigue that had him like that at the end Keveh or had he injured himself? How is he now?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:05 pm

First pre-season training tonight.

Jesus H Christ.

Absolutely cracking session to be fair, really big workout but a ball almost always involved. Tomorrow is going to HURT though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:06 am

Went to watch the Chorley trail race tonight, nice evening and excellent turnout. Pissed off to be still out of action with my calf flaring up again. Cross trainer at Horwich leisure Centre tomorrow, not quite a blast up the Pike!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:37 am

Prufrock wrote:First pre-season training tonight.

Jesus H Christ.

Absolutely cracking session to be fair, really big workout but a ball almost always involved. Tomorrow is going to HURT though.

Owww.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:37 am

hahaha.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:22 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Went to watch the Chorley trail race tonight, nice evening and excellent turnout. Pissed off to be still out of action with my calf flaring up again. Cross trainer at Horwich leisure Centre tomorrow, not quite a blast up the Pike!
I raced in that last night. 1st proper race since February but thankfully I wasn't too far off where I should be.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Went to watch the Chorley trail race tonight, nice evening and excellent turnout. Pissed off to be still out of action with my calf flaring up again. Cross trainer at Horwich leisure Centre tomorrow, not quite a blast up the Pike!
I raced in that last night. 1st proper race since February but thankfully I wasn't too far off where I should be.
Nice one Harry!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:44 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Nice one Harry!
Good stuff! I preferred the old road course but it's a nice little park. I did no exercise and drank Guinness afterwards, trying a jog tomorrow. We probably know each ither harry, been doing these races for 20 years or more.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:14 pm

I've only been running these last 5 years but I've done quite a few of the local races. I'm sure we will know each other by sight at least. I'm usually the guy in the middle of the pack looking like I'm about to die.

Might give the Northern Vets race at Bispham a go again this Sunday. Got my 10k PB there last year so would be a good indicator of how much I still have to do

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Gave the match a miss today by my first stint at officiating at an athletics meet at Hyndburn. Was the 1st stage towards becoming an accredited official. Really enjoyed it and since most of the folk there tend to have a bash at the other events while they're there, I might give the 800m & 1500m a go next time

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Gave the match a miss today by my first stint at officiating at an athletics meet at Hyndburn. Was the 1st stage towards becoming an accredited official. Really enjoyed it and since most of the folk there tend to have a bash at the other events while they're there, I might give the 800m & 1500m a go next time
Cool. Competing on track eh? field next then ;) have done my field officials course but don't use it often enough really. Just useful for when the club run their own events and need judges. Glad you enjoyed the meet.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Gave the match a miss today by my first stint at officiating at an athletics meet at Hyndburn. Was the 1st stage towards becoming an accredited official. Really enjoyed it and since most of the folk there tend to have a bash at the other events while they're there, I might give the 800m & 1500m a go next time
Cool. Competing on track eh? field next then ;) have done my field officials course but don't use it often enough really. Just useful for when the club run their own events and need judges. Glad you enjoyed the meet.
Aye, wish I'd done it sooner to be honest. I might have a go at high or long jump but there is no way in this world I'll be doing any chucking events since I throw like a particularly weak girl :oops:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Aye, wish I'd done it sooner to be honest. I might have a go at high or long jump but there is no way in this world I'll be doing any chucking events since I throw like a particularly weak girl :oops:
I hope you're not trying to suggest that girls are rubbish at throwing or I will come up there and find you and throw my extremely heavy copy of the book 'trophies Arsenal FC have won' very hard at your head...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:45 pm

^ I wouldn't dare!

No offence intended - but if you throw a chapter on the 21st century at me I reckon I should be ok :wink: