The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Bloody hell, can tell XMas is coming, I had to go to the second page for this!

Playing football on Saturday when I got run over just before half-time by an absolute tank of a winger. 6'2", huge dude, a footballing Jonah Lomu. Looked like a boxer, and was never a bloody winger! Tried to get my body in the way and he flattened me, knee straight into my thigh. Now, I always used to take the piss when I read some fancy dan foreign winger was out of a Premier League game with a dead leg, figuring it was like when your mates used to punch you with one knuckle out when you were a kid. I didn't realise it was a torn muscle! It gets trapped between your thigh and their knee and make like jelly hit with a hammer. I can't fecking walk! We had no sub, so adrenaline meant I limped to the end of the game, then had our Xmas do after which probably didn't help. Couldn't bend it at all yesterday. Been limping like a cripple today. Ouchie. I won't mock the 'dead leg' again!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:Bloody hell, can tell XMas is coming, I had to go to the second page for this!

Playing football on Saturday when I got run over just before half-time by an absolute tank of a winger. 6'2", huge dude, a footballing Jonah Lomu. Looked like a boxer, and was never a bloody winger! Tried to get my body in the way and he flattened me, knee straight into my thigh. Now, I always used to take the piss when I read some fancy dan foreign winger was out of a Premier League game with a dead leg, figuring it was like when your mates used to punch you with one knuckle out when you were a kid. I didn't realise it was a torn muscle! It gets trapped between your thigh and their knee and make like jelly hit with a hammer. I can't fecking walk! We had no sub, so adrenaline meant I limped to the end of the game, then had our Xmas do after which probably didn't help. Couldn't bend it at all yesterday. Been limping like a cripple today. Ouchie. I won't mock the 'dead leg' again!

That sounds bloody horrible. Thank fucvk I don't play contact sports.

Cross Country 5 miler for me yesterday and polite 'sorrys' all round as you brush past people you are overtaking. Much more refined. :grin:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Was thinking exactly the same GtE. Closest I got to physical aggression in sport was a bit of elbow action on the start line. Can't even be bothered with that any more. It certainly wouldn't be considered cricket in a parkrun.

Hope it clears up soon Prufrock.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:44 am

Prufrock wrote:Bloody hell, can tell XMas is coming, I had to go to the second page for this!

GIRL'S BLOUSE
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:52 am

Missed you :)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:36 am

Are you moving again or still hopping? I haven't run for 3 months now because of my back. Just going to get hammered for the rest of the year and start again from scratch.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:55 am

Today is the first day im not limping but I can still feel it when I walk. It has got noticeably better each day, magnificent thing the human body! We've only got 9 for tomorrow at the moment though so I might be playing again!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:07 pm

Prufrock wrote:Today is the first day im not limping but I can still feel it when I walk. It has got noticeably better each day, magnificent thing the human body! We've only got 9 for tomorrow at the moment though so I might be playing again!
Don't do it.. You'll be in feckin agony!

Was actually speaking to my boss about this this very morning. I got done once. Knee in the thigh job like yours. Instantly swelled up and I couldn't bend my knee. 3 weeks later, I still couldn't do anything and had this enormous lump sticking out of my thigh like a cricket ball.

Decided enough was enough and went to get it checked out. The hematoma had pooled a load of blood in the torn muscle and the pressure was causing me as the GP described: "Muscles wastage". my quadricep was literally eating itself.

Got booked in for a surgery to drain the pooling, but the physician wanted to try something first. I wish I'd had the surgery..

He oiled my leg up, stuck both thumbs into the lump and started moving the blood. It was amongst the worst pain I've endured. and by the end of it, the visible difference between my thigh muscles was crazy

Gaffers lad plays pro at Rochdale on loan from Scunny and he's having to have 2 incisions to drain as the pooling won't subside. Gonna put him out for a couple of months
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Yep, deep friction massage is the best way to shift it. I'd have one Prufrock even if the pain goes, because there will be shortening of the muscle.
When I'm training properly I go for one every couple of weeks to try to prevent injury. Didn't bother this year which is daft as I'm the athletics equivalent of Sean Davis.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:03 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Yep, deep friction massage is the best way to shift it. I'd have one Prufrock even if the pain goes, because there will be shortening of the muscle.
When I'm training properly I go for one every couple of weeks to try to prevent injury. Didn't bother this year which is daft as I'm the athletics equivalent of Sean Davis.

I had my IT band stripped last week. Bloody agony but my knees stopped hurting so it must be good for me. :|

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:11 pm

Ran the SEAA masters at Biggleswade today. 10k cross country. Last time I ran this I came secind last in a time of 47 minutes. Today I did it in 49:39 and was 6th from last. I guess it's
progress of sorts.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:26 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:Ran the SEAA masters at Biggleswade today. 10k cross country. Last time I ran this I came secind last in a time of 47 minutes. Today I did it in 49:39 and was 6th from last. I guess it's
progress of sorts.
Nice one. Placing's more important than time in Cross Country. Course is never marked out exactly the same from year to year.
IT band thing sounds nasty. I'm going to get back in the gym doing my rehab exercises this week and start jogging again early next week.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:02 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Today is the first day im not limping but I can still feel it when I walk. It has got noticeably better each day, magnificent thing the human body! We've only got 9 for tomorrow at the moment though so I might be playing again!
Don't do it.. You'll be in feckin agony!

Was actually speaking to my boss about this this very morning. I got done once. Knee in the thigh job like yours. Instantly swelled up and I couldn't bend my knee. 3 weeks later, I still couldn't do anything and had this enormous lump sticking out of my thigh like a cricket ball.

Decided enough was enough and went to get it checked out. The hematoma had pooled a load of blood in the torn muscle and the pressure was causing me as the GP described: "Muscles wastage". my quadricep was literally eating itself.

Got booked in for a surgery to drain the pooling, but the physician wanted to try something first. I wish I'd had the surgery..

He oiled my leg up, stuck both thumbs into the lump and started moving the blood. It was amongst the worst pain I've endured. and by the end of it, the visible difference between my thigh muscles was crazy

Gaffers lad plays pro at Rochdale on loan from Scunny and he's having to have 2 incisions to drain as the pooling won't subside. Gonna put him out for a couple of months
Spoke to the gaffer again today. His lad has Compartment Syndrome because of a his dead leg. He's having his 3rd op in 5 days today!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:41 pm

So I used to be able to whiz up ropes easily in my teens. Today aged 33 it was a bit more like hard work. I must be getting old :(

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:05 pm

So mild out tonight I've done an evening run in just a vest top. Don't think it will be a white Christmas in Sussex. Can't believe it's December.

It was the first run i've done in ages. :oops: New Years resolutions include to exercise more often and start eating a healthy diet.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:New Years resolutions include to exercise more often and start eating a healthy diet.
i think i have heard you say that before... and before.... and before.... and before.... and (indeed) before... :wink:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:35 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:New Years resolutions include to exercise more often and start eating a healthy diet.
i think i have heard you say that before... and before.... and before.... and before.... and (indeed) before... :wink:
You might have done. I have more motivation this coming year though.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:43 am

Merry Christmas fellow athletes.
In an effort to counteract the forthcoming overindulgence I aim to do a couple of runs over the next few says. First up is Rivington Pike. I did this yesterday in the pitch dark and forgot to take my headtorch which slowed my ascent from the boarding kennels to the top of the pike and back down. I aim to repeat the run tomorrow at 07:00 (with torch). If anyone fancies joining me, meet me at the junction of Crown Lane and Winter Hey Lane.

I am also aiming to do the Park Run on Saturday the 28th. Be great to see you there both new and old
P.M. me if you fancy either run.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:11 am

^ I'm busy that day - but have fun.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:13 am

clapton is god wrote:^ I'm busy that day - but have fun.
Washing your hair?