The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:29 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:58 pm
Normality will seem a lot closer tomorrow with frickley country parkrun and a filthy breakfast. In keeping with tradition I'll be having a skinful in Chapel Allerton tonight.
Still not there physically but will be donning the hi-viz vest tomorrow instead. Looking forward to arguing with some not-right for not bringing their barcode :lol:
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:23 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Normality will seem a lot closer tomorrow with frickley country parkrun and a filthy breakfast. In keeping with tradition I'll be having a skinful in Chapel Allerton tonight.
No doubt running a sub 20 min 5k. You utter Cnut!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:10 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:23 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
I didn't. And remained sober due to Mrs LE not feeling well after her vaccine. Ruining my social life, tut....
Did Frickley Country parkrun near pontefract. Basically running round a hilly slag heap.
Fry up now.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:52 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:10 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:23 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
I didn't. And remained sober due to Mrs LE not feeling well after her vaccine. Ruining my social life, tut....
Did Frickley Country parkrun near pontefract. Basically running round a hilly slag heap.
Fry up now.
Felt horrid after my second this week having felt fine after the first.

How was park run? Good turn out? Things feel ‘normal’?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:16 pm

Very small parkrun. Just 59 people. Never been before but met a couple of nates there and went for breakfast so was good. Next week will be doing crewe or Chester on my way to the camping trip in Wales.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:04 am

First taste of swimming training tonight on my first foray into the tri club.

Christ on a bike. I know people sometimes say they were done after the warm up: that was me today. And then they wanted us to do a pyramid totaling 1.2km! I almost passed out after the first 400m. Most swimming I've done in a day ever I think.

It was horrible and a reminder how unfit I am at the minute. However I will be there next week. Can't feel as bad!

In addition, managed my first 5k without stops since February today as well. That was a nice, nice moment running the last few hundred metres.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:07 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:04 am
First taste of swimming training tonight on my first foray into the tri club.

Christ on a bike. I know people sometimes say they were done after the warm up: that was me today. And then they wanted us to do a pyramid totaling 1.2km! I almost passed out after the first 400m. Most swimming I've done in a day ever I think.

It was horrible and a reminder how unfit I am at the minute. However I will be there next week. Can't feel as bad!

In addition, managed my first 5k without stops since February today as well. That was a nice, nice moment running the last few hundred metres.
Swimming fitness is much different to running fitness. Once your technique improves and your breathing is regulated you'll feel much better.

I'm not a big fan of pool swimming but drill sets are key to improving technique and efficiency. Good luck. :wink:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:10 pm

Thought you’d be interested in photographic evidence that BP is NOT scared of getting wet. I mean he’s holding into a 10 year old girl for support but still…
Attachments
67CDC927-17F5-403A-A57A-28CD1A446230.jpeg
67CDC927-17F5-403A-A57A-28CD1A446230.jpeg (4.47 MiB) Viewed 1789 times

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:14 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:10 pm
Thought you’d be interested in photographic evidence that BP is NOT scared of getting wet. I mean he’s holding into a 10 year old girl for support but still…

Could you not have taken a better pic? I look as though I’m out with my carer ffs! 😂

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:19 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:14 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:10 pm

Could you not have taken a better pic? I look as though I’m out with my carer ffs! 😂
All part of her girl guide ‘help the elderly’ badge!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:38 pm

No doubt she's your daughter GG!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:38 pm
No doubt she's your daughter GG!
Haha, I know! She’s my mini me, poor lass! Twin brother looks nothing like her!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:54 am

First parkrun since the restart. Mate down for the weekend. Didn't get in until 3am last night. Christ on a derny bike.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:07 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:54 am
First parkrun since the restart. Mate down for the weekend. Didn't get in until 3am last night. Christ on a derny bike.
I've done a few like that. Fun aren't they!?
Did Fulham Palace last year still pissed I think. Which was actually better than with a hangover.
Which did you do?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:47 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:07 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Did Fulham Palace last year still pissed I think. Which was actually better than with a hangover.
Which did you do?
Honestly felt like my lifeforce was being drained away from me with every step. My mate somehow looked worse. Thankfully, the Scottish fry ups ordered afterwards helped to rejuvenate us!

Never done Fulham Palace, still on the list!

I did Hackney Marshes. I think it used to be one of the fastest courses in the country but they've changed it for COVID reasons and now a decent amount of it is on grass. Nice enough plod around the marshes but nothing too special.

Walthamstow and Wanstead also now within spitting distance from my new place. Looking forward to some touristing.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:03 pm

I did Bowling Park in Bradford. One of the new ones that wasn't there when I last lived here. Positively alpine.
No hangover just the aches and pains of old age! Binned off my planned 10ks. Can't be arsed.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:50 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
Which did you do?
You're not getting away with it that easily, Sunshiiiiiiiiiine. We did Leeds and you couldn't remember which one of us had fecking driven :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:50 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
Which did you do?
You're not getting away with it that easily, Sunshiiiiiiiiiine. We did Leeds and you couldn't remember which one of us had fecking driven :lol:
Cheers for that!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:51 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:47 am
LeverEnd wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
Which did you do?
Honestly felt like my lifeforce was being drained away from me with every step. My mate somehow looked worse. Thankfully, the Scottish fry ups ordered afterwards helped to rejuvenate us!

I did Hackney Marshes. I think it used to be one of the fastest courses in the country but they've changed it for COVID reasons and now a decent amount of it is on grass. Nice enough plod around the marshes but nothing too special.

Walthamstow and Wanstead also now within spitting distance from my new place. Looking forward to some touristing.
Victoria Park in Hackney and Pymmes Park in Edmonton are flat as a witches tit. :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:52 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:51 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:47 am
LeverEnd wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
Which did you do?

Victoria Park in Hackney and Pymmes Park in Edmonton are flat as a Witch's tit. :wink: