The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:38 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:51 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:47 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:07 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:54 am
First parkrun since the restart. Mate down for the weekend. Didn't get in until 3am last night. Christ on a derny bike.
I've done a few like that. Fun aren't they!?
Did Fulham Palace last year still pissed I think. Which was actually better than with a hangover.
Which did you do?
Honestly felt like my lifeforce was being drained away from me with every step. My mate somehow looked worse. Thankfully, the Scottish fry ups ordered afterwards helped to rejuvenate us!

Never done Fulham Palace, still on the list!

I did Hackney Marshes. I think it used to be one of the fastest courses in the country but they've changed it for COVID reasons and now a decent amount of it is on grass. Nice enough plod around the marshes but nothing too special.

Walthamstow and Wanstead also now within spitting distance from my new place. Looking forward to some touristing.
Victoria Park in Hackney and Pymmes Park in Edmonton are flat as a witches tit. :wink:
Victoria Park doesn't have a parkrun these days, does it?

I'll be back in God's Country for a New Order gig in a couple of weeks so will be taking on the updated Bolton parkrun, which my oldest friend has assured me is even more of a bastard. :cry:
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:03 pm

Did you enjoy the new course KS?
I ran the flat and relatively easy inaugural Peel Parkrun by Salford uni. Very pleasant. Worth a visit on future trips to Bolton.
In my Wanderers away shirt naturally.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:40 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:03 pm
I ran the flat and relatively easy inaugural Peel Parkrun by Salford uni. Very pleasant. Worth a visit on future trips to Bolton.
Round Broughton in a Bolton shirt? Kudos.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:12 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:40 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Round Broughton in a Bolton shirt? Kudos.
Early morning. All the ruffians still in bed. Scarpered straight after the run.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:51 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Relatively :lol: I did like the new layout but I'd like to try it again when I'm a) not hungover and b) my leg is right. Had to stop a couple of times as the hammy did not like the undulations or uneveness. Ended up trotting home and am continuing to get pelters for getting beat by my best mate's dad :lol:

Ooh didn't know Salford had one now, will pop down there next time.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:59 pm

First run in 2 months and I staggered slowly round 2.5 miles in the wake of a 10 year old putting what looked like zero effort in. Depressing.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:56 pm

Well done to GtE for cracking out another London Marathon today. His last (allegedly).

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:29 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:56 pm
Well done to GtE for cracking out another London Marathon today. His last (allegedly).
Erm…. cheers. It would have been my last but for two things.

1) My achilles went at mile 20 forcing me to walk the last 6 miles. Was on track for about 3:45 at the time. :evil:
2) I've entered the ballot for next year already :roll:

This is a proper Monkey now. Next year is about scaling down my triathlon distances (no longer than Olympic) and training specifically for a sub 4 hour marathon.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:13 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:29 pm
LeverEnd wrote:

1) My achilles went at mile 20 forcing me to walk the last 6 miles. Was on track for about 3:45 at the time. :evil:

This is a proper Monkey now. Next year is about scaling down my triathlon distances (no longer than Olympic) and training specifically for a sub 4 hour marathon.
Heard the 'last one' quote from so many runners, usually just after they finish!
Could see from the tracker you slowed down but many do.
Good for you having another crack anyway. And well done for finishing in the circumstances.
In my one attempt it was my knee at 18. Limped walked and jogged to finish. Horrible. That was 18 years ago. Still considering my next attempt. 😁

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:28 pm

Plodded round 5k yesterday. Aiming to get back up to 10k by christmas!

Nice one Gte, cracking time considering you walked part of it!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:40 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:28 pm
Plodded round 5k yesterday. Aiming to get back up to 10k by christmas!

Nice one Gte, cracking time considering you walked part of it!
Thank you. :D

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:42 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:13 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:29 pm
LeverEnd wrote:

Heard the 'last one' quote from so many runners, usually just after they finish!
Could see from the tracker you slowed down but many do.
Good for you having another crack anyway. And well done for finishing in the circumstances.
In my one attempt it was my knee at 18. Limped walked and jogged to finish. Horrible. That was 18 years ago. Still considering my next attempt. 😁
Thank you.

Thing is I know I'm better than that time so I need to prove it. My marathon time on the Ironman was 5.03! I'd done considerably more warm up than on Sunday...…...hang on......maybe that's it...... :wink:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:49 pm

Struggled round 3.5 miles today slowly. Was hoping to up it to 4 miles but didn’t have it in the legs. Had already done 20k steps before I even started though so cutting myself some slack. Do need to get out more then once a week though!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:43 pm

That's a lot of bloody steps in a day then to add 3 and half mile on top of it! No wonder you were bloody knackered! :D Great effort!

Made my debut for the club at the Met League cross country in Woodford at the weekend. Great to be back, but the hamstring is still a long way off. Felt like i was running on one leg at points. I'm sure it will get better over time but after the best part of 10 months on/off injured i'm a bit bored of it now.

In the women's race on Sunday was a GB Athlete who competed in the Tokyo olympics. She came third. Not bad standard then :lol:

In other news, got the email through for my place in next year's London Marathon (subject to payment) so yeeah? Goal to aim for!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:51 pm

Great news on London.
Cross country sucks ass.
I spent a day tramping about the edge of Ilkley Moor (yes, baht 'at) with whining kids then turned up at training which was 5x5 mins hard. Already fecked after the warm up, did one and sacked it off for beers in the bath following tonight's spanking at Plymouth.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 pm

I have a chest infection - I can barely put the bins out. Today my GP sent me for a PCR test before he'll even discuss giving me antibiotics.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:58 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:43 pm
That's a lot of bloody steps in a day then to add 3 and half mile on top of it! No wonder you were bloody knackered! :D Great effort!

Made my debut for the club at the Met League cross country in Woodford at the weekend. Great to be back, but the hamstring is still a long way off. Felt like i was running on one leg at points. I'm sure it will get better over time but after the best part of 10 months on/off injured i'm a bit bored of it now.

In the women's race on Sunday was a GB Athlete who competed in the Tokyo olympics. She came third. Not bad standard then :lol:

In other news, got the email through for my place in next year's London Marathon (subject to payment) so yeeah? Goal to aim for!
School runs, dog walks and teaching PE 4 days a week means Monday - Friday I now normally top 20k most days. Make up for it at the weekend though when I’m lucky to hit 5k a day!

Exciting stuff re the marathon! Is it back in April? Serious training to start in the new year? Good stuff re the XC! Especially whilst still half injured!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 pm
I have a chest infection - I can barely put the bins out. Today my GP sent me for a PCR test before he'll even discuss giving me antibiotics.
Get well soon Bruce, sounds nasty :(

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:13 pm

I haven’t run since 15th September, which was a complete shit show in itself. Zero motivation for months now. Any tips on getting the old mojo back?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:24 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:13 pm
I haven’t run since 15th September, which was a complete shit show in itself. Zero motivation for months now. Any tips on getting the old mojo back?
Run with a friend. I can’t get out on my own right now. Have to make plans to meet someone. Still got zero mojo or enthusiasm but look forward to a catch up and gossip with my mate!