The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:39 am
Dujon wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:01 am
Remember when Roger Bannister broke the 4-minute mile way back when? Whilst it was run on a normal track he did have pacemakers (the only one of which I recall was Chris Chataway) and was organised as a world record attempt - no one complained then; in fact he was lauded throughout the world of athletics.
See, this is what I don't get - Kipchoge's efforts won't be recorded as a world record due to blah, blah, blah....

Has anyone else ever done it? No. Therefore it's a world record :conf:
Interesting discussion on the Jeremy Vine show about this today. (Radio 2 Mon-Fri 12-2pm. Tune in kids it's great)

It's viewed as a world best but can't be accepted as a world record due to all the additional extra help he had. 12 rolling pacemakers, car with some laser assistance on the back showing where each pacemaker should be, drafting techniques, time, place and course all specially selected, carbon tipped trainers that are supposed to give you an extra 4%.

Basically he's proven that man can move his feet that quickly over that distance given the right circumstances. He (or someone) just has to do it in a race under normal conditions now.

Whatever - it was bloomin phenomenal. The last great time barrier in athletics to be broken?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:59 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:39 am
Dujon wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:01 am
Remember when Roger Bannister broke the 4-minute mile way back when? Whilst it was run on a normal track he did have pacemakers (the only one of which I recall was Chris Chataway) and was organised as a world record attempt - no one complained then; in fact he was lauded throughout the world of athletics.
See, this is what I don't get - Kipchoge's efforts won't be recorded as a world record due to blah, blah, blah....

Has anyone else ever done it? No. Therefore it's a world record :conf:
Interesting discussion on the Jeremy Vine show about this today. (Radio 2 Mon-Fri 12-2pm. Tune in kids it's great)

It's viewed as a world best but can't be accepted as a world record due to all the additional extra help he had. 12 rolling pacemakers, car with some laser assistance on the back showing where each pacemaker should be, drafting techniques, time, place and course all specially selected, carbon tipped trainers that are supposed to give you an extra 4%.

Basically he's proven that man can move his feet that quickly over that distance given the right circumstances. He (or someone) just has to do it in a race under normal conditions now.

Whatever - it was bloomin phenomenal. The last great time barrier in athletics to be broken?

Haven’t you got a marathon planned?! Best get training!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:35 pm

Running 13mph ont' treadmill. Wowzers!

May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:46 pm

Can't even get a Parkrun out of him at the moment ;)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:36 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

Man flu is a serious medical issue you know, just ask BP!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

:oops: might get there this Saturday if you and Prince Rainier are up for brekky?

And GG I'm only doing the marathon if LE does it. I think there's more chance his mate Penders will be at the start line before we are!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:57 pm

:oops: might get there this Saturday if you and Prince Rainier are up for brekky?
I have the (conveniently rearranged) Preston 10K on Sunday. However, brekkers is always a decent call ;)

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:24 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Don’t you take the *cough* piss *cough* out of me! Let’s see which of us is on the start line at HH Parkrun a week on Saturday! 😉

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Don’t you take the *cough* piss *cough* out of me! Let’s see which of us is on the start line at HH Parkrun a week on Saturday! 😉
If LE is coming down too and we are doing brekkie then I’ll make the effort. Well, I’ll run with Jack and ‘forget’ my barcode so it’s conveniently not recorded...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:05 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

If LE is coming down too and we are doing brekkie then I’ll make the effort. Well, I’ll run with Jack and ‘forget’ my barcode so it’s conveniently not recorded...
Mrs LE and I will be in attendance and up for a big feed afterwards. Also entered the Brighton 10k on November 17th in your locality.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:23 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Bloody glory hunter! Turning out to bask in the reflected glory of a reborn northern athletics hero. 😡 There’s life in this old dog yet. Not much, admittedly. 😬

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:29 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:05 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Mrs LE and I will be in attendance and up for a big feed afterwards. Also entered the Brighton 10k on November 17th in your locality.
Looking forward to meeting Mrs LE! Went out to the harvester for the twins birthday dinner last night and Jack described it as a ‘very posh restaurant’ (which it probably is if you only ever usually go to McDonalds!) So I hope you’re bringing your Sunday best to change into! :wink:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:54 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:29 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:05 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Looking forward to meeting Mrs LE! Went out to the harvester for the twins birthday dinner last night and Jack described it as a ‘very posh restaurant’ (which it probably is if you only ever usually go to McDonalds!) So I hope you’re bringing your Sunday best to change into! :wink:
Thought you never went out? :wink: :grin:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:54 pm

Thought you never went out? :wink: :grin:
I got to go to work today Hoboh! On an away match to a school which has its own zoo. Saw a lemur! Took the 3rds for a football match and ended up with 23 players for a 10 a side match as our colts team had no one to play against due to an admin cock up (not my fault!) so joined with my team and played their 3rds. Somehow we drew 1-1 but I had a very nice tea after and I didn’t have to ref for once. My colleague reffed her first match the other day with Graham Potter watching!!

^ Latest instalment in GG’s exciting life!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:34 pm

I see that transgender cyclist has taken new records in the female sprint categories... Controversial?!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:34 pm
I see that transgender cyclist has taken new records in the female sprint categories... Controversial?!
Well, I for one am passed affording cycling records much credibility anyway, and in other events, I'm casting an increasingly suspicious eye upon the achievements of Mr Farah.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:44 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Well, I for one am passed affording cycling records much credibility anyway, and in other events, I'm casting an increasingly suspicious eye upon the achievements of Mr Farah.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Blasphemy!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:16 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
She's a fecking disgrace. I'm not one of these wankers who likes to deliberately describe trans women as he, but I do have a problem with them using the advantages of their male-born bodies to unfairly win in women's sport. People need to stop pussy footing around this nonsense and call it out for what it is.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:01 am

It's mad. I can't get my ahead around people coming out saying things like "well, it's no different to athletes who have more fast-twitch muscle fibres or large hearts".

The mental gymnastics there. And even if you *do* believe that, at least have the courage to come out and argue for getting rid of women's sport all together then.

My broad approach to the trans issue is it's a societal issue and in some cases a mental health issue and the vast majority of trans people deserve our kindness and understanding. But in women's sport, prisons, bathrooms women are getting fecked over under the radar by woke-badge wearing wankers like Owen Jones who have contracted out their critical thinking and slur genuinely concerned women as TERFs.

It's another example of the self-parodying world. There was a debate not long ago about people saying "women" get periods, and instead suggested people who get periods (men or women) be referred to as "bleeders". Christ alive. And is isn't (like most horror stories about the left) two or three lunatics on the internet. This shit is prevalent.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:42 pm

Fab park run today with LE (well done for winning the thing after a night on the booze!) Mrs LE, BP and one of the junior GG’s. Lovely to partake in a harvester breakfast after too. 😋