The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Doing a different parkrun Saturday near the uni. Will be full of designer clad students going on about how they got 'soooooooo hammered last night OMG!!!'
Those will be smart, erudite, Worldly-wise designer-clad future World leaders who will have been sooooooooo hammered last night I'll have you know.
Not studying at that converted Kwik-Save they won't :fingers:
Aaaah. My mistake. I didn't realise he meant the Polytechnic. :whack:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:22 pm

LeverEnd wrote:RUN IN THE ROAD!!!!???
I went to run with a club in Leeds, Roundhay Runners, with a massive obsession with road safety. I got barked at for stretching my calves off the kerb while waiting for everyone to catch up and the run leader to give us permission to cross. I kid you not! Someone got shouted at for stepping into the gutter for several steps to overtake on a narrow pavement with good lighting and no cars coming. I felt like I was 8 again. Actually no, when I was 8 it was 'keep up or get lost' at Bolton Harriers!
Suffice to say I found a different club, Valley Striders. Seems much better and has a triathlon section.
Doing a different parkrun Saturday near the uni. Will be full of designer clad students going on about how they got 'soooooooo hammered last night OMG!!!'
On the plus side, as I am sure you are well aware. A fair percentage of them will be female! 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:50 pm

Didn't get out tonight, so might do Heaton PR on Satdi with s-i-l's sister instead. Not sure yet.

EDIT: She's working. Cruella it is then! :)
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:06 pm

After doing a long training run the other weekend, a large part around the cobbles at the pike and the pigeon tower, my feet felt battered. After this weekend's race in the lakes the pain was definitely more acute in one heel the day after. A quick Google search suggests I may have plantar fascitis :cry:

Anyone had it?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:39 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:After doing a long training run the other weekend, a large part around the cobbles at the pike and the pigeon tower, my feet felt battered. After this weekend's race in the lakes the pain was definitely more acute in one heel the day after. A quick Google search suggests I may have plantar fascitis :cry:

Anyone had it?

I believe BP had it back in October 2014 - if my memory serves me right! 8) he had Bursitis too...

enfield recommended rest. Lots of rest. In extreme cases (like a friend of his) a steroid injection could be administered to help the inflammation calm down.

Prufrock recommended prayer.

(though - just in case spotty is about - neither of them is a qualified medic of any description!)
Last edited by thebish on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:42 pm

^ ah cheers. I thought I'd read about it on here. Bursitis was GtE wasn't it? :conf: Chaps?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:17 pm

I believe I recommended prayer as an alternative to acupuncture. If you're going to do something metaphorically pointless, you might as well make sure it's literally pointless too.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:29 pm

Right, well. Bolton PR in the morning it is then. Anyone else?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:00 pm

thebish wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:After doing a long training run the other weekend, a large part around the cobbles at the pike and the pigeon tower, my feet felt battered. After this weekend's race in the lakes the pain was definitely more acute in one heel the day after. A quick Google search suggests I may have plantar fascitis :cry:

Anyone had it?

I believe BP had it back in October 2014 - if my memory serves me right! 8) he had Bursitis too...
That's what I was told at the time of my scan. I was very sceptical about the PF as I had no symptoms of it whatsoever. The Podiatrist that I saw treated me for neither PF nor bursitis. Sorry. I can't really help HG. Good luck with it though!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Right, well. Bolton PR in the morning it is then. Anyone else?
I have a follow up appointment with my physio at 9.30am. I have been instructed to do a 'nice, slow, easy jog' tonight and see if there is any reaction. Hopefully I will be back running next week.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Acute PF is horrible, a mate of mine was out for over a year. There is a mild form which most people get which clears up quick but I'd get it checked out HG. Good to see you back in the swing!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Prufrock wrote:I believe I recommended prayer as an alternative to acupuncture.

yes - indeed you did! :D

Amen, brother!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:13 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote: That's what I was told at the time of my scan. I was very sceptical about the PF as I had no symptoms of it whatsoever. The Podiatrist that I saw treated me for neither PF nor bursitis
Well it wouldn't have been fecking trench-foot. ;)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:02 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Acute PF is horrible, a mate of mine was out for over a year. There is a mild form which most people get which clears up quick but I'd get it checked out HG. Good to see you back in the swing!
Cheers. I've had it nearly a week now and whilst it's sore first thing it doesn't feel too bad once it's warmed up, so I'm hoping that's the mild form you speak of. Physio Tuesday and I'll see what he says before deciding whether to go to the Docs - "Just don't run" :roll:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote: That's what I was told at the time of my scan. I was very sceptical about the PF as I had no symptoms of it whatsoever. The Podiatrist that I saw treated me for neither PF nor bursitis
:lol:

Good luck at pr Bruce :oyea:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Cnut! :evil:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:43 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Cnut/ Canute/ Kanute Whatever you call him. He had an aversion to water too didn't he? :wink:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:05 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Cnut/ Canute/ Kanute Whatever you call him. He had an aversion to water too didn't he? :wink:
:lol: :pray:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:56 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
:lol: :pray:
Tossers! :lol:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:32 am

PB for the calendar year at Roundhay this morning. 20:36, minute and a half better than a month ago. Haven't run all week after calf problem last week. Need to nurse it through some training sessions now.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:44 am

Well done, LE. I'm afraid I'm clearly not as over my virus as I like to think I am and pulled in at 2K well short of breath.. fecking mad at myself now though because if I did 2k then I'd broke its back!