The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:21 am

[quote="Bruce Rioja"]6K in at 05:25. Beat that, Muddyfunsters. :oyea:[/quote

You ran 6k in less than 6 minutes?

You'd better let the gb team know.

In the meantime I've now started training 6 days a week in preparation for IM

Mon -Swim (1700m to 2000)
Tues - Run. Sprints and Hills (6 to 8k)
Wed - Rest
Thurs - Long run (6 to 8 miles)
Fri - swim (1500 to 1800m)
Sat - Run. Hills and continuous effort (8 to 10k)
Sun - Bike 2 hours or long run (up to 10miles)

From January I'll start the serious programme. :wink:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:45 am

Should have you in good nick too start the serious distance stuff. Do you do weights to condition your legs for the battering they'll get?
I'm up to a mile in swimming sessions now but not getting out on bike enough. The club I've been training with does weds eve sessions on quietish roads on a housing estate, lots of laps. Need to illuminate myself and start that. Running very limited due to ongoing calf problems, but they are slowly improving. Might get into this tri lark!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:56 am

LeverEnd wrote:Should have you in good nick too start the serious distance stuff. Do you do weights to condition your legs for the battering they'll get?
I'm up to a mile in swimming sessions now but not getting out on bike enough. The club I've been training with does weds eve sessions on quietish roads on a housing estate, lots of laps. Need to illuminate myself and start that. Running very limited due to ongoing calf problems, but they are slowly improving. Might get into this tri lark!

No weights but I do stretches with resistance bands to strengthen my glute medius and adductors, both of which need building up to support the knee. I'm currently running with no pain which is why I can start building my run distance up. Feeling very positive.

Why not go for the Horwich Tri in summer. May have a crack at that myself if training allows.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Should have you in good nick too start the serious distance stuff. Do you do weights to condition your legs for the battering they'll get?

No weights but I do stretches with resistance bands to strengthen my glute medius and adductors, both of which need building up to support the knee. I'm currently running with no pain which is why I can start building my run distance up. Feeling very positive.

Why not go for the Horwich Tri in summer. May have a crack at that myself if training allows.
May well do. I'm training with Valley Sttriders and tri club now, so might just do what they're doing.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:21 pm

Reduced my running quite a bit since I started using this personal trainer. No speed or track work just off road and only out 2 or 3 times a week. I'm up to 15 miles on the long runs and aim to plateau around 20 for the few weeks before the first ultra in March. The conditioning stuff was really working until I felt a ping in my hip flexor tonight doing lunges whilst holding a 15kg weight above my head :shock:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:01 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:6K in at 05:25. Beat that, Muddyfunsters. :oyea:[/quote

And he's had a calamity, look! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:12 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:Reduced my running quite a bit since I started using this personal trainer. No speed or track work just off road and only out 2 or 3 times a week. I'm up to 15 miles on the long runs and aim to plateau around 20 for the few weeks before the first ultra in March. The conditioning stuff was really working until I felt a ping in my hip flexor tonight doing lunges whilst holding a 15kg weight above my head :shock:
What made you think it was a good idea to attempt to lift your brothers wallet??

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:22 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

:conf:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:07 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

:conf:
Even better. :lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:36 am

Who's down there tomorrow? In a bizarre twist of spooky fate, I've pulled something in my neck exactly 22 years to the day that I bost my neck in a car crash on the East Lancs. Weird. Anyway, a couple of Ibuprofen and it'll be reet. It'll teach me to keep my head still when I'm running anyway.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Who's down there tomorrow? In a bizarre twist of spooky fate, I've pulled something in my neck exactly 22 years to the day that I bost my neck in a car crash on the East Lancs. Weird. Anyway, a couple of Ibuprofen and it'll be reet. It'll teach me to keep my head still when I'm running anyway.

Won't be up until just after Christmas now. Take care with that neck. And are you seriously cconsidering self-medicating with Ibuprofen? You're not a fecking doctor you know!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:55 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Who's down there tomorrow? In a bizarre twist of spooky fate, I've pulled something in my neck exactly 22 years to the day that I bost my neck in a car crash on the East Lancs. Weird. Anyway, a couple of Ibuprofen and it'll be reet. It'll teach me to keep my head still when I'm running anyway.

Won't be up until just after Christmas now. Take care with that neck. And are you seriously cconsidering self-medicating with Ibuprofen? You're not a fecking doctor you know!
:D

Skived two off of the head of HR, who should know that she shouldn't have given them to me. (Makes note in lieu of next carpeting :twisted: )

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:16 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:

:lol:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:36 am

Temple Newsam for me. Where's that Dibble chap? Are you going?
Bruce, get thee to th'osteopath, always sorts my neck out. There's one at the place my Mum works at, but you're banned from seeing the Swedish masseuse after the vulgar comments you made at parkrun breakfast!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:37 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:

Maybe Prufrock could recommend a homeopathic remedy? Stay natural guys.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:07 pm

#prayforBruce
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
:D

Skived two off of the head of HR, who should know that she shouldn't have given them to me. (Makes note in lieu of next carpeting :twisted: )
Very good of her. See ... not ALL heartless b@stards.

... & if she hasn't got feasible deniability she wants shooting.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:58 am

Think I may just have ran my slowest ever PR. Hardly surprising, the course was a mix of wet leaves and standing water. The entire out and back is under 2 inches, deeper in parts. Sugar Ray Paddock would've dissolved. ;)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:01 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Think I may just have ran my slowest ever PR. Hardly surprising, the course was a mix of wet leaves and standing water. The entire out and back is under 2 inches, deeper in parts. Sugar Ray Paddock would've dissolved. ;)
:lol:

Running up a hill towards Temple Newsam hall into a gale with my calf screaming at me was no fun either. Going to feck running off again. At least we've got the match to look forward to. :hang:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:12 pm

35 minutes continuous hilly efforts this morning.

Not much rain but plenty of wind.

10 mile run planned for tomorrow morning.