The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:29 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:40 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:15 pm
Went for a 5k run tonight. Was still slow (though it felt fast!) but far easier then the previous few outings. Felt I could go further/faster,
Careful....that's alsmost an admission of you enjoying a run. Slippery slope.
She placed a tray of Krispy Kremes at the finish line. I'm thinking of doing similar with a slab of Robinson's Trooper. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:39 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:29 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:40 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:15 pm
Went for a 5k run tonight. Was still slow (though it felt fast!) but far easier then the previous few outings. Felt I could go further/faster,
Careful....that's alsmost an admission of you enjoying a run. Slippery slope.
She placed a tray of Krispy Kremes at the finish line. I'm thinking of doing similar with a slab of Robinson's Trooper. :D
Not far from the truth tbf! :oops:

Do whatever helps Bruce!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:40 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:03 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:28 pm
Planning on getting out with HG for my first run since early Feb at the weekend. 😬 Obligatory breakfast to follow. 😎
I’ll put £5 on one of you cancelling!

Debt settled! Thanks HG. You owe me half a breakfast. 😉

Anyway. First run in 7 weeks this morning. Only 3.5k, but it’s a start. Now to do it on a regular basis.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:08 pm

Orion 15 this morning. Tough tough course, as LE has mentioned, through epping forest, 15 miles of it, taking in trails, roads and the thickest of cross country mud. My toenails won't be clean for months.

Time doesn't matter but got around with a smile on my face. Stopped a few times because the aim was to get around but all good. By my watch there was just shy of 1,500ft of climbing involved. I'm frankly scared to think how hard this would be to crest on a rainy day rather than nearly 20 degrees.

Many thanks to Orion for organising, though I think especially in that heat another water station is needed. One after 6 miles and one 2 miles from the end is a bit too much of a gap I think!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:25 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:08 pm
Orion 15 this morning. Tough tough course, as LE has mentioned, through epping forest, 15 miles of it, taking in trails, roads and the thickest of cross country mud. My toenails won't be clean for months.

Time doesn't matter but got around with a smile on my face. Stopped a few times because the aim was to get around but all good. By my watch there was just shy of 1,500ft of climbing involved. I'm frankly scared to think how hard this would be to crest on a rainy day rather than nearly 20 degrees.

Many thanks to Orion for organising, though I think especially in that heat another water station is needed. One after 6 miles and one 2 miles from the end is a bit too much of a gap I think!
Wasn't me that mentioned it, haven't heard of it, but well done. Sounds like tough one! I've not gone further than 12 miles in the last couple of years but want to run a half marathon in autumn so will build it up.
Is it a marathon you're training for?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:37 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:25 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:08 pm

Wasn't me that mentioned it, haven't heard of it, but well done. Sounds like tough one! I've not gone further than 12 miles in the last couple of years but want to run a half marathon in autumn so will build it up.
Is it a marathon you're training for?
Could have been me that mentioned it. Haven't done it but know plenty who have and hated.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:48 am

Evening run yesterday. I did just under 7 miles at under 8 min/ mile pace for the first time in a long time. My grade adjusted pace (sfuckin hilly here) was just under 7:45 pace.

Just shows that losing a little weight (I've dropped nearly a stone in the last month) can have huge benefits. :D

Loving my new bike too. Looking forward to Summer and the return of Open Water Swimming

Game On

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:49 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:48 am
Evening run yesterday. I did just under 7 miles at under 8 min/ mile pace for the first time in a long time. My grade adjusted pace (sfuckin hilly here) was just under 7:45 pace.

Just shows that losing a little weight (I've dropped nearly a stone in the last month) can have huge benefits. :D

Loving my new bike too. Looking forward to Summer and the return of Open Water Swimming

Game On
Well done. Very energetic. I’ve sat on my arse and eaten 3 creme eggs today :oops:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:53 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:49 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Game On
Well done. Very energetic. I’ve sat on my arse and eaten 3 creme eggs today :oops:
Erm..... chewing burns calories? You're doing it so someone else doesn't have to?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:42 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:53 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Game On
Erm..... chewing burns calories? You're doing it so someone else doesn't have to?

I don't think inhalation involves chewing! :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:16 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:42 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Game On

Fair point, well made.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:30 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Game On

I swear they are smaller then they used to be?! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:11 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:30 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Game On

Have you considered your gob may have enlarged with use? :wink:

<runs away quickly rather than await the reaction>

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:06 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:11 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Game On

:lol: It's a good job you're in Scotland! :box:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:08 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:06 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:11 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Game On

:shock: :evil: I will track you down when I next holiday in Scotland AT. You’ll have to feed me cheese in this big gob to calm me down.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:14 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:06 pm

I may be daft, but I'm not stupid :lol:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:22 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:08 pm

:shock: :evil: I will track you down when I next holiday in Scotland AT. You’ll have to feed me cheese in this big gob to calm me down.
You'll be too knackered by the time you get here :P

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:20 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:22 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

This may be the athletics thread but I’m not running up! :shock:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:02 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:20 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:22 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

This may be the athletics thread but I’m not running up! :shock:
I'm 3 hours away from pretty much most things. It's tiring getting here without running up the mountains :)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:47 am

First run in nearly two weeks yesterday.

Just a gentle leg stretch with Mrs GtE in preparation for our Easter jaunt to the Emerald Isle............so long as the ferry is running. :(