The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:37 pm

A half marathon's worth of running on the Undercliff path and the path on top of the cliff to finish up a fine weekend. Came through relatively unscathed. Plotting my Sunday roast now. W.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:33 pm

My mates roped me into Monday night football tomorrow. Slightly nervous given my current level of fitness. Should help burn off the 5 creme eggs I’ve eaten today though.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:44 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:33 pm
My mates roped me into Monday night football tomorrow. Slightly nervous given my current level of fitness. Should help burn off the 5 creme eggs I’ve eaten today though.
Youll need to cover every blade of grass to burn all 5 off!
Twice.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:48 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:37 pm
A half marathon's worth of running on the Undercliff path and the path on top of the cliff to finish up a fine weekend. Came through relatively unscathed. Plotting my Sunday roast now. W.
Nice one. I got in a 10 miler on the Leeds canal, which we had to drive to. Longest for a few months. Hip feeling better.
South Leeds is shite for running routes. Thought it would be great but it really isn't. Putney and Wimbledon was brilliant for good off-road routes. It's the opposite to what I thought.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:32 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:44 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:33 pm
Youll need to cover every blade of grass to burn all 5 off!
Twice.
Have you seen the size of them these days? They’re tiny! I’ll just lurk in the penalty area. A Francis Jeffers like fox in the box, not too much running and I’ll still burn them off!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:12 am

If you're aspiring to be like a professional footballer, then Francis Jeffers is a pretty low bar!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:37 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:12 am
If you're aspiring to be like a professional footballer, then Francis Jeffers is a pretty low bar!
I’m 41 now. My Dennis Bergkamp days are long behind me. :cry:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:04 pm

Back from football! Ache already. I was so off the pace. Forget how much first touch matters when you’re playing 7 a side on a small Astro rather then 11 on a full size pitch. Scored though! Nearly 28k steps today too. Knackered!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:03 pm

Great work gg! And a goal to boot!

Ventured back into the pool tonight, still the slowest in the group but feeling more comfortable, and don't feel quite as apprehensive to get back in next week. Looking forward to improving rather than just simply surviving 😄

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:22 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:03 pm

Ventured back into the pool tonight, still the slowest in the group but feeling more comfortable, and don't feel quite as apprehensive to get back in next week. Looking forward to improving rather than just simply surviving 😄
I was chuffed to score given how rusty I felt. 26k steps yesterday and my back aches today. Going for a run/plod tomorrow with a mate though before Pilates. Slowly getting back into it!

Is this for tri you are practicing swimming? Front crawl?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:56 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:22 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:

I was chuffed to score given how rusty I felt. 26k steps yesterday and my back aches today. Going for a run/plod tomorrow with a mate though before Pilates. Slowly getting back into it!

Once you get in the habit it's hard to get out of and that goes both ways! Hope the run goes well.

It was with the tri club yeah, and yes front crawl, but I'm way off being comfortable enough swimming to actually race; the goal at the minute is just to use swimming as cross-training effectively to complement the running. My technique is just all over the place and I'm still learning how to execute the stroke effectively, but now at least I can more or less survive the sessions as opposed to having to miss a vast chunk of it due to not being able to breathe. I can see/feel improvements now which is great, but there's a long way to go.

Anyway, back to the track tonight for something I'm not so rubbish at! :oyea:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:57 am

Run this morning. Not even 5k but it’s a start. Pilates after. Sure that stretching must have done me good after my unusual exercise heavy start to the week but man it hurt! Reffing football matches this afternoon and then taking the youngest swimming. Really need to get back to swimming myself. Promised a friend I will give him some lessons so will try and get some pool time in properly at the same time.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:59 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:56 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:

Once you get in the habit it's hard to get out of and that goes both ways! Hope the run goes well.

It was with the tri club yeah, and yes front crawl, but I'm way off being comfortable enough swimming to actually race; the goal at the minute is just to use swimming as cross-training effectively to complement the running. My technique is just all over the place and I'm still learning how to execute the stroke effectively, but now at least I can more or less survive the sessions as opposed to having to miss a vast chunk of it due to not being able to breathe. I can see/feel improvements now which is great, but there's a long way to go.

I find front crawl a tough stroke myself. Much prefer breaststroke, shame it’s so slow. I definitely think being taught proper swimming at a young age helps. My daughters breathing for crawl is just effortless now, in built. Good you’re seeing improvement though!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:29 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:59 am
KeyserSoze wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:56 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:

I find front crawl a tough stroke myself. Much prefer breaststroke, shame it’s so slow. I definitely think being taught proper swimming at a young age helps. My daughters breathing for crawl is just effortless now, in built. Good you’re seeing improvement though!
I was never taught breast stroke so don't know anything other than Front Crawl. It's largely down to stroke length (fnarr) and breathing KS. I rarely kick when swimming as I tend to save the legs for Bike and run. Bear in mind the swim is the least (in terms of distance) discipline in tri. I've had loads of people better me in the pool and bike only to catch them (quite easily) on the run. Tri a Sprint race (only 400m in the pool) and see how you get on. I highly recommend HSV Sprint (first one is May I think). It's in and around the DeHavilland campus near Hatfield/ Welwyn

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:58 pm

Yeah I'm likely to look into tris in the summer, first thing to get through is the marathon in early april. I definitely see it as part of my future, but for now swimming is a separate entity to complement running, not something to be done together. The technique is coming but it's slow progress, and it'll be a few months yet before i consider myself comfortable. Breathing is better but noticeably less comfortable on the right than left.

That's a good note on a sprint tri only being 400m in the pool, GtE. 400m was our warm up last night, and it didn't feel as far as it did even just before christmas :)

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:56 pm

3x 400m/800m at track tonight with 200m walking rest between each rep. Instruction was vomiting pace (we were told off for taking it too easy last week haha)

Absolutely the fastest I've ever ran a set amount for. Two folks that I struggle to get within reach of I completely glided by every rep. My watch chose a great time to not pick up GPS but from looking at other people's strava I was easily in 3.40 to 3.50/km range. Killed me but so happy.

Sub 20 parkrun is on this year. If I don't then I owe you all internet pounds. feck it is good to feel excited about running again 😌

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:04 am

Nicely done Keysersoze!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:27 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:56 pm
3x 400m/800m at track tonight with 200m walking rest between each rep. Instruction was vomiting pace (we were told off for taking it too easy last week haha)

Absolutely the fastest I've ever ran a set amount for. Two folks that I struggle to get within reach of I completely glided by every rep. My watch chose a great time to not pick up GPS but from looking at other people's strava I was easily in 3.40 to 3.50/km range. Killed me but so happy.

Sub 20 parkrun is on this year. If I don't then I owe you all internet pounds. feck it is good to feel excited about running again 😌
Excellent stuff. Victoria ParkRun in Hackney is flat as f**k or if you travel a bit further then Pymmes Park in Edmonton. Look forward to seeing that 19.59

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:27 pm

Dulwich seems to produce some rapid times too. Was looking forward to that in those carefree, innocent pre plague years.

Great to see the running is on the up, KS.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:37 am

Just got round to installing the NRC app into my new phone, which informs me that I haven't done a tap since September 😳 A very leisurely treadmill trot planned for Sunday.
May the bridges I burn light your way