The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:12 pm

I quite fancy the Bury one. Be interesting to see where the route goes, up the 'lines' near Totty I presume but I'm at a loss after that.

Racing a steam train through countryside has a certain something about it that racing a replacement bus service could ever have
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:49 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:12 pm
I quite fancy the Bury one. Be interesting to see where the route goes, up the 'lines' near Totty I presume but I'm at a loss after that.

Racing a steam train through countryside has a certain something about it that racing a replacement bus service could ever have
I would have thought the paths would take you down behind the new police/fire station, into Burrs and up through Summerseat to Rammy. Not sure after that.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:32 am

Congratulations on setting a new Personal Best at this event! Congratulations on your fastest time this year.

Not bad after an evening on the Theakstons Owd P with Leverend :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:32 am
Congratulations on setting a new Personal Best at this event! Congratulations on your fastest time this year.

You've discovered the Kenyans secret :D

Well in pal. Where was that at?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:02 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:24 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:32 am

You've discovered the Kenyans secret :D

Well in pal. Where was that at?
Leeds Woodhouse Park, Speeky. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:58 pm

So, the idea was to clock up my 100th PR over the break (plus the BR 10K) then in the New Year, give up the booze and get into some serious training so as to get a half marathon ticked off of the bucket list in 2018.
However, one left foot's worth of busted ligaments and a shit load of co codamol means that I'm still on 97 PRs, can still barely walk and have no idea when I'll be able to resume training.
Still, it does mean that I stopped drinking two weeks ahead of schedule :)

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:58 pm
So, the idea was to clock up my 100th PR over the break (plus the BR 10K) then in the New Year, give up the booze and get into some serious training so as to get a half marathon ticked off of the bucket list in 2018.
However, one left foot's worth of busted ligaments and a shit load of co codamol means that I'm still on 97 PRs, can still barely walk and have no idea when I'll be able to resume training.
Still, it does mean that I stopped drinking two weeks ahead of schedule :)
I've been stuck on 48 since 21st October. Weekends away and injury have prevented me hitting the 50 mark since then, which was my target as mentioned this time last year, in this very thread. I've managed 2 runs in the last 50 days, but will be doing a very slow parkrun this weekend with a view to hitting my target a couple of weeks late on the 13th.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:08 pm

Finally signed up to my first full marathon. Doing the Manchester one in April. £60 quid though!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:02 am

Beefheart wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:08 pm
Finally signed up to my first full marathon. Doing the Manchester one in April. £60 quid though!
Training for this going well. Broke my 10k PB in training, even beat my 5k PB in the second half of it and did my first 20 mile long run this weekend with a total weekly mileage of 48.5. Feeling ready for the marathon now, will just have to see how training goes the next few weeks before settling on a target pace.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:02 am
Beefheart wrote:
Training for this going well. Broke my 10k PB in training, even beat my 5k PB in the second half of it and did my first 20 mile long run this weekend with a total weekly mileage of 48.5. Feeling ready for the marathon now, will just have to see how training goes the next few weeks before settling on a target pace.
Breaking pbs in a training run is a great sign of progress! How were the legs after your 20 miler? Got a time you're aiming for or get round first see where you're at?

BP and I did the Lostock 6 yesterday. It were bloody freezing. Months of half arsed training and pi55 poor diet bit me on the aris!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:12 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:55 pm
Beefheart wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:02 am
Beefheart wrote:
Breaking pbs in a training run is a great sign of progress! How were the legs after your 20 miler? Got a time you're aiming for or get round first see where you're at?

BP and I did the Lostock 6 yesterday. It were bloody freezing. Months of half arsed training and pi55 poor diet bit me on the aris!
Legs were ok after the 20, did 8 miles the day after. Today was a rest day but the legs feel pretty good. Put 4:00 as my target when I entered but reckon 3:45-3:50 might be more like it. I'll see how the next few weeks pan out. Definitely feel pretty well prepared, I think with marathons you *have* to stick to a plan, whereas with halfs and stuff I've probably half arsed it and not put the consistent mileage in.

Trying my local, relatively flat, Park Run Saturday as I reckon I should be able to PB relatively easily with my current level of fitness. See where I'm at, then probably focus on some speed work post-marathon, see if I can break 20:00, or at least get closer to it.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:35 pm

8 miles the day after 20 is bloody impressive! Sub 20 park run is some progress too from what you were doing 12 months back? Great stuff

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:13 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:35 pm
8 miles the day after 20 is bloody impressive! Sub 20 park run is some progress too from what you were doing 12 months back? Great stuff
Still some way from a Sub 20 I reckon, but hoping for something around 21:30 this weekend, then a few weeks of interval training etc should get me a bit closer.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:07 pm

Just found out that the only race I'm an "ever-present" in is cancelled this year. Bit of a bugger as it was down to just two of us competing consistently and the other bloke couldn't have made it this year which would have made me the only entrant for every year it's run since it started.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 01, 2019 12:40 pm

Personally, I think that this is fecking ridiculous - she can't help being who she is. It's not like she's a transsexual. What next? Drug Usain Bolt because he's a bit quick? Make Messi run around with a ruckie full of sand on his back because he's a bit good?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/48102479

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed May 01, 2019 3:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:40 pm
Personally, I think that this is fecking ridiculous - she can't help being who she is. It's not like she's a transsexual. What next? Drug Usain Bolt because he's a bit quick? Make Messi run around with a ruckie full of sand on his back because he's a bit good?

I do have a lot of sympathy for Caster although she has a massive unfair advantage. I don't know what I would do if I was in charge of world athletics. Really difficult deciscion.

On the other hand, this is fecking ridulous: Female transexual weightlifter wins 9 out of 9 events and breaks 4 world records in the process.

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/bloody ... 10779.html
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed May 01, 2019 3:20 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:07 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:40 pm

I do have a lot of sympathy for Caster although she has a massive unfair advantage. I don't know what I would do if I was in charge of world athletics. Really difficult deciscion.

On the other hand, this is fecking ridulous: Female transexual weightlifter wins 9 out of 9 events and breaks 4 world records in the process.

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/bloody ... 10779.html
Surely everybody is equal. Florence Nightingale on banknotes, female CEOs being paid equal wages. I don't see the point of sexist discrimination. Everybody should have the chance to perform for Manchester United or win the Great British Sewing Bee. If you run a marathon, you run a marathon, who cares if you've got a slit and four bollocks? If you want to 'expand' the range to 'inclusify' people then run a pogo marathon, or a wheelchair marathon. But dump the sex shit.

Let's face it, there are 5,000,000,000 people on the planet who can't run faster than Gabriel Haileselassi, or Caster Semanya: so why the fxck do they run in seperate races?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed May 01, 2019 10:22 pm

It's a tough call but doing nothing potentially means the end of women's sport as we know it.

Chap on the radio tother day was saying people should be able to compete as the gender they identify themselves as. With the exception of ultra marathons, women generally aren't as fast or as physically strong as men.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 01, 2019 10:33 pm

My initial reaction was it was a ludicrous decision. Having read the executive summary of the CAS decision it sounds like the right call on a v tough decision. I'd urge everyone interested to read it (6 page pdf). http://www.politicsweb.co.za/documents/ ... ve-summary

The trans stuff in women's sport is to me far more clear cut but also going to be an absolute shit-show for decades. This decision probably a good starting point.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 01, 2019 10:41 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:22 pm
It's a tough call but doing nothing potentially means the end of women's sport as we know it.
All outstanding sportspeople have a biological advantage. If we're going to reduce a participant's testosterone level then it's only fair that we boost every other participant's level so that they're all the same? Absolute nonsense.

Women are fecking shit at football. Actually I'll just leave that there. Women are fecking shit at football :lol: :lol: :lol: