The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:14 pm

Youngest did his first junior park run today!! He didn’t seem that tired at the end. Took Burnden Paddock out in a sprint finish anyway!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:24 am

Given this thread hasn’t been posted on in a month and from what I know about some of you, I think it’s fair to say for the majority of TW members we’ve all fallen a bit off the running wagon this year due to injury/old age in your cases ;) and just can’t be arsed in mine!? :oops: (obvious exception being the machine that is GtE). I’ve just been out for my first slow pathetic 3 miler in about a month but thinking I really need to get going again properly. New year, new start for all of us?!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:25 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:24 am
Given this thread hasn’t been posted on in a month and from what I know about some of you, I think it’s fair to say for the majority of TW members we’ve all fallen a bit off the running wagon this year due to injury/old age in your cases ;) and just can’t be arsed in mine!? :oops: (obvious exception being the machine that is GtE). I’ve just been out for my first slow pathetic 3 miler in about a month but thinking I really need to get going again properly. New year, new start for all of us?!
I’d like to think I’ll start the new year full of inspiration and raring to go, but don’t see it at the moment. Fallen off it big time! Maybe we need a TW challenge to motivate each other?

Well done on your run. You are definitely ahead on the Nike+ leaderboard this month!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:47 am

Wowzers. Just checked and on Thursday it'll be three months since I last ran :shock: . I've absolutely piled on the timber this year too. Plan is, I'm off after the 16th so get a few sessions in on the dreadmill over the holidays with a view to getting back out on the mean streets in the New Year. I got a FB 'looking back' thing the other day - one year since my last 10K down at Tatton. :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:47 am
Wowzers. Just checked and on Thursday it'll be three months since I last ran :shock: . I've absolutely piled on the timber this year too. Plan is, I'm off after the 16th so get a few sessions in on the dreadmill over the holidays with a view to getting back out on the mean streets in the New Year. I got a FB 'looking back' thing the other day - one year since my last 10K down at Tatton. :oops:
I got one of them the other day. 10 miles! Can’t imagine ever being able to run that far again! :(

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:47 pm

I recently had a very pleasant trip around Peel Park for the new Peel parkrun. Well recommended, especially for attempts at a PB.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:19 pm

Managed a slow 2.5 miles today. Got a cold so I’m cutting myself some slack on time and distance! Going to get on it in the new year though. Probably!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:50 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:47 pm
I recently had a very pleasant trip around Peel Park for the new Peel parkrun. Well recommended, especially for attempts at a PB.
It's a decent flat one isn't it? I did the first one a few months ago. Will definitely revisit at some point.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:15 pm

Dislocated my ankle and fractured my fibula at football on Saturday so don't think I'm running anywhere for a while!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:15 pm
Dislocated my ankle and fractured my fibula at football on Saturday so don't think I'm running anywhere for a while!
That's nasty. Hope it heals quickly. A running mate of mine has just come back very quickly from a fractured fibula. Hope there's not much ligament damage.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Ouch! That sounds painful. Crunching tackle?!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:33 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:54 pm
Prufrock wrote:
That's nasty. Hope it heals quickly. A running mate of mine has just come back very quickly from a fractured fibula. Hope there's not much ligament damage.
Ligaments are f*cked on the inside. Got some screws and a plate. Going to be a long road I think!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:34 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:02 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Ouch! That sounds painful. Crunching tackle?!
Clumsy more than crunching, no malice in it but meant I landed awkwardly with all my weight through my (previously) good ankle. Both buggered now!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:34 pm

Free kick 20-25 yards out, perfect position, but match abandoned so...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:34 pm
Free kick 20-25 yards out, perfect position, but match abandoned so...
Could you maybe add the name of the tackler to the "January Transfer" thread....Hope you're back up and about soon, Pru.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:11 pm

:lol: we've got enough tippy tappy footballers, what we need is a balding chain-smoking Essex geezer with an ankle tag.

Cheers. Out of surgery now. Going through airports going to be fun from here on out. May be the end of my electric pace.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:23 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:33 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:54 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Ligaments are f*cked on the inside. Got some screws and a plate. Going to be a long road I think!
Have you thought of trying out the Felix Magath remedy, of rubbing some cheese on it?

Unlucky, mate. Hope you're not in too much pain. Torn the ligaments in both ankles missen. Hell hath no fury quite like it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:40 pm

:lol: I have not. Maybe when the cast comes off.

I've badly sprained the ligaments in the other, but this was something else. No ambulance was forthcoming so I got stretchered into the back of someone's car and bounced around the pothole ravaged roads of Essex. To the first hospital who wouldn't take me, then on to the second. Got the good drugs while they cut my boot off me in the car park then the full shebang while they put it back in. Whatever they gave me was magic as I have no memory at all of them putting it back in, but my brother and mate I think are more traumatised than I was (though not so much that it stopped them taking some pretty graphic war photos).

Pain isn't too bad at the moment but I think that's mainly chemical. Also spent a night in a room with 3 dementia patients with broken hips which was truly horrendous. Been a hell of a few days!

1/10, would not recommend.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:07 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:40 pm
:lol: I have not. Maybe when the cast comes off.

I've badly sprained the ligaments in the other, but this was something else. No ambulance was forthcoming so I got stretchered into the back of someone's car and bounced around the pothole ravaged roads of Essex. To the first hospital who wouldn't take me, then on to the second. Got the good drugs while they cut my boot off me in the car park then the full shebang while they put it back in. Whatever they gave me was magic as I have no memory at all of them putting it back in, but my brother and mate I think are more traumatised than I was (though not so much that it stopped them taking some pretty graphic war photos).

Pain isn't too bad at the moment but I think that's mainly chemical. Also spent a night in a room with 3 dementia patients with broken hips which was truly horrendous. Been a hell of a few days!

1/10, would not recommend.
Real horror story Pru. Best wishes and I genuinely hope you soon recover.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:38 am

Cheers mate, appreciate it.