The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:19 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:56 pm
Ran for just over half an hour this evening, which is the most for a couple of months. Considering running cross-country for my club this winter. Never liked it, and haven't done one for 15 years, but it'll get me fit.
Good stuff. I love cross country even though I invariably finish in the bottom half of the field and every year as I pick up injuries through the summer I aim to get back to full fitness by the time it comes around. First fixture is this month :shock:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:23 pm

Trying to get back into my running again after stopping due to various niggles (straight after I got to 5k distance), and a holiday last month. Saw a sports physio last week to try and ensure I don't end up with those same injuries again.

Did around 3 miles the other day, hoping to do around the same again tomorrow. Signed myself up for the Manchester Run in the Dark in November (5k) to give myself something to aim for again. Didn't think I'd be up for doing 10k by that point but will see. Definitely aiming to be up to that for some runs next year though.

Assuming all goes well over the next couple of weeks I'll make my PR debut soon :).

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:47 am

Nice one RJS. Sure youd be fine in parkrun. Motivating having people to run with too.

Did my first South Yorkshire parkrun today at Hillsborough despite the lingering gastro-intestinal effects of a skinful of brown ale.
Three times up a bloody big hill was no fun.
That's 24 down, 16 to go in the Yorkshire and Humber region.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:00 am

GNR. 50 minutes to reach the start line? Blimey!
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:58 pm

GNR is a great race but I couldn't be doing with that.
Barnsley parkrun was it for me this weekend. Another one ticked off, but the buggers missed me off the results. I sent a pleading email because anyone who has been to Barnsley will understand why I don't want to run round it again!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:36 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:58 pm
GNR is a great race but I couldn't be doing with that.
Barnsley parkrun was it for me this weekend. Another one ticked off, but the buggers missed me off the results. I sent a pleading email because anyone who has been to Barnsley will understand why I don't want to run round it again!
As someone that's been to Barnsley on quite a few occasions,I can imagine it being even more difficult than that bastard thing we ran up by Preston!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:03 am

I have run GNR twice. First time I was in the pen behind the elite runners, got a great start and a pb. Second time I was six pens back, took half an hour to cross the start line....shite run. Both times I put my predicted finish times which is supposed to give you your position. It is a fantastic race though and reccommended for the support alone.

I came to Bolton this weekend. Originally I was set to do the half marathon. Went to the game (saying nowt) and then a meal and beers. Ended up in the Blundell Arms where I left the car overnight. Ran to get it in the morning. Route from Crown Lane was A6/ Burnden Way/ Chorley New Rd/ Victoria Rd/ Old Kiln Lane/ Chorley Old Ed. I forgot what a climb it was from CNR to COR. Quads were burning on the drive home!!!!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:19 pm

New 10k PB of 49:25 yesterday. There's another one near me this Sunday, I reckon I can go a minute quicker if I have a good day.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:09 am

Doing the Lytham 10k with Bruce this weekend on a nice flat course. Have a few niggles at the moment, so unlikely to be setting any PB's. Anyone else getting out and about?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:09 am
Doing the Lytham 10k with Bruce this weekend on a nice flat course. Have a few niggles at the moment, so unlikely to be setting any PB's. Anyone else getting out and about?
This is going to be as boring as Worsley Woods PR, but for twice as long!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
I was PB hunting when I booked it, but injury has put paid to that. Should have booked Bolton Abbey instead. Next year!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
I was PB hunting when I booked it, but injury has put paid to that. Should have booked Bolton Abbey instead. Next year!
Surprisingly not boring, but so 4ucking cold with the North Sea wind. Organisers had set it up for around 400 runners rather than 1550, including picking our numbers up on the day rather than them just charging everyone an extra £1 and posting them out. Nearly wussed out due to cramp in both calfs yesterday/last night, but did it anyway and am now glad I did (and the cramp's gone too :conf: )

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:09 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:53 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Surprisingly not boring, but so 4ucking cold with the North Sea wind. Organisers had set it up for around 400 runners rather than 1550, including picking our numbers up on the day rather than them just charging everyone an extra £1 and posting them out. Nearly wussed out due to cramp in both calfs yesterday/last night, but did it anyway and am now glad I did (and the cramp's gone too :conf: )
The elements clearly befuddled your brain and caused you to confuse the North Sea and Irish Sea. :wink:

Decent run and would have been a PB had they provided enough portaloos. Had to take a piss during the race instead. :spank:

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Rjs37 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:23 pm
Signed myself up for the Manchester Run in the Dark in November (5k) to give myself something to aim for again.
How time has flown. Not as practised as I should be but ah well! Anyone else from here doing this?
Debating internally between shorts and trousers atm :D.

Still haven't done a PR yet. That 9am start is a real drag for someone who works from home and enjoys his lie-ins too much! :zzz:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:25 pm

We have a new local event: runners versus a steam train. I think it's designed so the runners win. I might take part.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:25 pm
We have a new local event: runners versus a steam train. I think it's designed so the runners win. I might take part.
Over what distance, Spotty?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:31 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
We have one here. Bury to Rawtenstall!

https://www.madbullevents.com/race-the- ... awtenstall

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:12 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
We have one here. Bury to Rawtenstall!

https://www.madbullevents.com/race-the- ... awtenstall
Fancy doing it?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
7 miles. Rowsley to Matlock and back. There's a footpath that now runs all the way alongside the track.
I reckon the sound of a steam train chuffchuffing ought to get the adrenaline going.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:17 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
7 miles. Rowsley to Matlock and back. There's a footpath that now runs all the way alongside the track.
I reckon the sound of a steam train chuffchuffing ought to get the adrenaline going.
See that sounds a good do. The Bury - Rawtenstall one's 11 miles.