The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:57 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57549653

What's folks opinions on this? I'm all for inclusivity and people being free to live their lives as they see fit, as I'm sure all the good folk on here are. I have to say this does leave me slightly uneasy though. If she's previously competed at a high level as a male, she's surely going to be way too strong for the other female entrants?
Well, true equality would mean one event, anyone can enter which would solve the problem, but that doesn't seem a very popular notion. I think this is as dumb as it comes, to be honest another maybe not very popular notion, I wouldn't allow it.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:03 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

What's folks opinions on this? I'm all for inclusivity and people being free to live their lives as they see fit, as I'm sure all the good folk on here are. I have to say this does leave me slightly uneasy though. If she's previously competed at a high level as a male, she's surely going to be way too strong for the other female entrants?
I’m all for equality in sport and believe women can compete with men at skilled events, but when it’s something that requires pure strength this doesn’t seem very fair. Fact remains men and women are built differently and even if her testosterone levels are down, as the article says she will still have the advantage of increased bone and muscle density. I wouldn’t be very happy competing against her and surely a win
would be a bit meaningless for her deep down anyway?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:10 pm

Athletics yesterday was enjoyable. Big meet, Brighton and Portsmouth who are two massive southern clubs in our league this year thanks to Covid making things more localised. Got thrashed by some leggy teenagers in pretty much everything but got some triple and high jump in. Far from my best but then, as I have said to a few friends recently, perhaps at 40 I shouldn’t be judging myself against PB’s from my 20’s as I won’t get close to them again! :cry: Anyway, everyone else is sufficiently crap in my age group too that I should actually place 3rd for triple jump and 4th for high jump currently in the V40 national rankings on power of ten when it’s updated - which sounds more impressive then it is!

Competed in high jump against one other fellow veteran, but she happened to be the V50 world record holder for high jump and took her first jump about 30cm higher then I went out at. :oops:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:54 pm

Just found out that the woman who won the high jump yesterday actually set a new V50 world record 1.70. Don’t feel so bad being beaten by someone setting a world record…

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:23 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Can they not just open a special category for hemi-shemis?
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:17 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:54 pm
Just found out that the woman who won the high jump yesterday actually set a new V50 world record 1.70. Don’t feel so bad being beaten by someone setting a world record…
Julia Machin I presume, I remember you mentioned her last year. Amazing performance at that age.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:23 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

This is about elite sport, not your preferred 'viewing material'!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:21 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:03 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I’m all for equality in sport and believe women can compete with men at skilled events, but when it’s something that requires pure strength this doesn’t seem very fair. Fact remains men and women are built differently and even if her testosterone levels are down, as the article says she will still have the advantage of increased bone and muscle density. I wouldn’t be very happy competing against her and surely a win
would be a bit meaningless for her deep down anyway?
Makes a mockery of women's sport. Yes, her testosterone levels may have reduced but it's been proven that the benefits of training with the male testosterone levels persist for years.
I think anyone who believes in fair women's sport can't agree with this, but political agendas seem to override common sense in this area.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:17 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:54 pm
Julia Machin I presume, I remember you mentioned her last year. Amazing performance at that age.
Yes. She’s immense! I didn’t watch though, wish I’d hung around now!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:39 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:18 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:23 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

This is about elite sport, not your preferred 'viewing material'!
:lol:

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:45 pm

Well that rib is definitely cracked! Absolute f*cking agony the last few days. On the bright it has shifted all my attention off the hamstring.

Roll on August!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:00 pm

Worst jumps Sunday since 2 months after having baby number 3, but 4th in the U.K. for triple jump in my age group currently! :D
Attachments
78CB69B2-27D3-4B57-ABEA-D6968B21D9C3.png
78CB69B2-27D3-4B57-ABEA-D6968B21D9C3.png (336.77 KiB) Viewed 1556 times

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:45 am

Massive congrats, GG!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:24 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:45 am
Massive congrats, GG!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:10 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:24 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Massive congrats, GG!

Not great! Been in pretty consistent agony since Sunday night but that's just the nature of a broken or bruised rib. There's not much to do aside from take some painkillers and ride it out before it starts to heal. Hopefully I should be in a position come August to get back to things again.

In the meantime, given it is Friday I shall be taking onboard some alternative painkillers which I hope you understand I will be using for purely medicinal purposes :drink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:52 pm

Nice one, GG. Is a handicap system employed in jumping events, btw?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:52 pm
You mean because I’m a short arse?! :D Sadly not…

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:44 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:10 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:24 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Massive congrats, GG!

Not great! Been in pretty consistent agony since Sunday night but that's just the nature of a broken or bruised rib. There's not much to do aside from take some painkillers and ride it out before it starts to heal. Hopefully I should be in a position come August to get back to things again.

In the meantime, given it is Friday I shall be taking onboard some alternative painkillers which I hope you understand I will be using for purely medicinal purposes :drink:
Sounds horrendous, and August is a while away yet. Hang on in there. Do whatever you need to, errr, get better! :drink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:05 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:43 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:52 pm
You mean because I’m a short arse?! :D Sadly not…
I was being subtle. Well, attempting to be. 😁

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:16 pm

Lined up the most exercise I’ve done in a week for ages this week. Run today followed by 5 a side football tonight with some lads I know (not played in years, will probably break something! 😬) Pilates and a swim Wednesday, run Friday and the county champs (triple jump) on Sunday which I have low expectations of but still a bit nervous.

Hopefully makes up for the 5 massive cookies I have demolished over the course of today.