The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:27 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:How did you get on Beefy? Missed you at the finish.
It went pretty horrifically. Finished in like 2.35 which was slower than even my worst training run. Thinking of doing the Manchester half in a few weeks. Finished though...
Got one under your belt though. Good luck with Manchester.
He made it onto the BN website too!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:How did you get on Beefy? Missed you at the finish.
It went pretty horrifically. Finished in like 2.35 which was slower than even my worst training run. Thinking of doing the Manchester half in a few weeks. Finished though...
Got one under your belt though. Good luck with Manchester.
He made it onto the BN website too!
& the print edition!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:52 am

Mixed feelings about my last Aquathlon race of the season on Tuesday.

500m swim followed by a 5.5km run

My swim was 12:11 (including transition) and my run was 24:36 (a new pb for this course)
That put me 11 seconds outside my pb. If I could have just swum that little bit harder I'd have pb'd in every race in the series this year.

I have gone from 39:08 in May to 36:36 this season, though, so overall I'm pleased.

Racing at Eton Dorney (the Olympic Games rowing venue) triathlon relays this Saturday and the Hatfield Sprint Triathlon on Sunday so looking to finish the season in style.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Mixed feelings about my last Aquathlon race of the season on Tuesday.

500m swim followed by a 5.5km run

My swim was 12:11 (including transition) and my run was 24:36 (a new pb for this course)
That put me 11 seconds outside my pb. If I could have just swum that little bit harder I'd have pb'd in every race in the series this year.

I have gone from 39:08 in May to 36:36 this season, though, so overall I'm pleased.

Racing at Eton Dorney (the Olympic Games rowing venue) triathlon relays this Saturday and the Hatfield Sprint Triathlon on Sunday so looking to finish the season in style.

Just found out I was 6th (of 39) in my age group for the series. Had I been one year older I would have been in a different age group and the same points would have had me second. Looking forward to next year now. :oyea:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:55 pm

Got my Worsley PB this morning and ran my fastest 5K of the year so far. Need to get a couple of runs in ahead of the Bury 10 next Sunday (1 x 6K then 1 x 8K). Now then, those of you in the know, which will be the best two evenings for me to do these?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Got my Worsley PB this morning and ran my fastest 5K of the year so far. Need to get a couple of runs in ahead of the Bury 10 next Sunday (1 x 6K then 1 x 8K). Now then, those of you in the know, which will be the best two evenings for me to do these?
Tonight! :mrgreen:

Must have taken you at least 10 seconds to get to the start this morning, so your actual time is faster than that given by parkrun. On that basis I am also claiming a PB as the website says I was 2 seconds slower than last time. :oyea:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Got my Worsley PB this morning and ran my fastest 5K of the year so far. Need to get a couple of runs in ahead of the Bury 10 next Sunday (1 x 6K then 1 x 8K). Now then, those of you in the know, which will be the best two evenings for me to do these?
Tonight! :mrgreen:

Must have taken you at least 10 seconds to get to the start this morning, so your actual time is faster than that given by parkrun. On that basis I am also claiming a PB as the website says I was 2 seconds slower than last time. :oyea:
True. Folk blocking the steps by walking up them whilst two abreast was a mite annoying also.

Oh, and I'm claiming the 100 metres WR :mrgreen:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:21 am

I'd do the 8k on monday and the 6k Thursday if I were you. Go into the 10k fresh.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:48 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I'd do the 8k on monday and the 6k Thursday if I were you. Go into the 10k fresh.
Cheers Dude. That's what I was thinking too. Maybe just Marshall next Saturday?!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I'd do the 8k on monday and the 6k Thursday if I were you. Go into the 10k fresh.
Cheers Dude. That's what I was thinking too. Maybe just Marshall next Saturday?!
Me too. Need to carb load at the Toby afterwards!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:32 pm

I'm off early to Walsall. Meet up with my old running coach before he goes to watch the WBA game.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:54 pm

Oi Dibbler! How was the GNR?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:16 am

Kept with the 26 minute pace runner this morning. So over 30 seconds off my PB. Buzzing. Needed that after feeling demotivated the last few weeks. Achilles felt good too.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:36 am

Beefheart wrote:Kept with the 26 minute pace runner this morning. So over 30 seconds off my PB. Buzzing. Needed that after feeling demotivated the last few weeks. Achilles felt good too.
:oyea:

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:01 pm

25:54 officially :D

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Beefheart wrote:Kept with the 26 minute pace runner this morning. So over 30 seconds off my PB. Buzzing. Needed that after feeling demotivated the last few weeks. Achilles felt good too.
Well done Beefy. I was marshalling down by the river, ahead of the Bury 10k tomorrow. Having a lot of Achilles problems myself, which means i'm going to have to take it easy tomorrow and see how it goes.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:41 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Well done Beefy. I was marshalling down by the river, ahead of the Bury 10k tomorrow. Having a lot of Achilles problems myself, which means i'm going to have to take it easy tomorrow and see how it goes.
Potential disaster ahead of tomorrow. I've landed awkwardly on my right knee whilst playing cricket and it's giving me a bit of jip. Hopefully nothing that a couple of painkillers can't sort out though.

Today's (ahem) 'whites'.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:26 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Yeah, its frustrating. Seems to be fine when I run then fees sore afterwards. Good luck for tomorrow!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Yeah, its frustrating. Seems to be fine when I run then fees sore afterwards. Good luck for tomorrow!
That's exactly how I was last week. Pain started after Thursday's run and was still bad on Saturday morning. I got some heat into it pre PR and it was totally fine. It only came on again after doing a track session on Wednesday and has been painful since.

Thanks for the good wishes!

Btw I just entered the Decathlon 5k at LHP on 16th October. We get to run down Cruella. Twice! Just for HG's benefit it's free! :grin:

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:05 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
That's exactly how I was last week. Pain started after Thursday's run and was still bad on Saturday morning. I got some heat into it pre PR and it was totally fine. It only came on again after doing a track session on Wednesday and has been painful since.

Thanks for the good wishes!

Btw I just entered the Decathlon 5k at LHP on 16th October. We get to run down Cruella. Twice! Just for HG's benefit it's free! :grin:
I'd be up for that but planning on the manc half that day.