The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:33 pm

5 mile run last night. Surprised and ever so slightly embarrassed to discover that it was my longest run in almost 3 years! Trying to get back to my pre-covid Sunday morning 10k’s with one or two posters from here.

Recent improving parkrun times, albeit on flattish courses (whilst desperately avoiding Bolton) have got me to within a minute of my 5 year old all time PB. Not bad for a knackered 55 year old. If I can crack that, then it will have been a very good year and I will be the smuggest person in the whole of Christendom!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:57 pm

Well done. I’m not sure if I’ve even run once this year! :oops:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:19 am

Anyone any fitness New Year’s resolutions? I’ve barely run at all and want to get back to it but most of my evenings are spent ferrying kids round to their sport so don’t have much time to go with friends and the motivation is not there to go on my own in the daytime before work… I’ll manage some exercise classes but not hopeful about getting back to it running wise. Motivation to make it happen is not really there…

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:58 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:19 am
Anyone any fitness New Year’s resolutions? I’ve barely run at all and want to get back to it but most of my evenings are spent ferrying kids round to their sport so don’t have much time to go with friends and the motivation is not there to go on my own in the daytime before work… I’ll manage some exercise classes but not hopeful about getting back to it running wise. Motivation to make it happen is not really there…
Yeah funnily enough I have;

Reckon I'll start lifting two pints instead of one to improve the biceps.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:36 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:58 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:19 am
Yeah funnily enough I have;

Reckon I'll start lifting two pints instead of one to improve the biceps.

Make sure to get plenty of reps in for maximum benefit. :P

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:36 pm

I’ve been reading some old posts from this thread this evening, back when I was running on a regular basis with Bruce and HG. I’m hoping to inspire myself to get back on the wagon after doing nothing for 8 weeks, which is a shame as I was getting close to some parkrun PB’s from 5 years ago. The comeback (yes, another one) starts here!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:56 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:36 pm
I’ve been reading some old posts from this thread this evening, back when I was running on a regular basis with Bruce and HG. I’m hoping to inspire myself to get back on the wagon after doing nothing for 8 weeks, which is a shame as I was getting close to some parkrun PB’s from 5 years ago. The comeback (yes, another one) starts here!
How’s it going?! :D

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:22 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:56 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Funny you should ask GG, but thanks for doing so. Ran a gentle 5k after work this evening. You? 😉

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:37 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:22 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Funny you should ask GG, but thanks for doing so. Ran a gentle 5k after work this evening. You? 😉
Grit class today. Suspect my half hour of exercise was far more torturous than yours! 8)

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:17 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:37 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:22 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Grit class today. Suspect my half hour of exercise was far more torturous than yours! 8)
Hiding at the back out of sight of the instructor, no doubt. 😉

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:26 pm

Horrendous news about Kelvin Kiptum.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:31 pm

Trying to climb back on the wagon this year after a pretty disgusting couple of years. First biggish test today, the 10 mile trail challenge at Rivvy.

Aim was to have fun and finish which duly happened in 1hr 42mins. Happy with that. The route didn't go to the pike (which to my shame is the only part of that area I really know) but instead started near the bowling green and went north to white coppice and great hill, up and round that before coming back.

Generally felt OK, just need to get the lungs and muscles used to the punishment again, and to shift the beef I compiled in Germany :D that climb up white coppice is an absolute brute as well, fair play to anyone who didn't walk that!

Buxton half end of next month. But first, bath salts
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.