The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed May 19, 2021 7:28 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:15 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:41 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:19 am
Bolton PR re-routed. Makes Curden Valley look like a piece of piss! :shock:

https://www.parkrun.org.uk/bolton/cours ... XEqnDqrq48

Having taken a look at the new course and realised how close to the finish, the second time up Cruella now is, I can safely say I have absolutely no chance of a sprint finish! Safe to say that my PB days are well and truly behind me! 😢
I looked at that map a few times and couldn't suss out where it started,where it takes us or where it finishes. They still haven't suggested standing on the start line in roughly the place you expect to finish.
Starts on the crossroads where the new out and back is, but on the path we run up when we go out to Burnden. From there to the top of cinder hill and go down there, turning right in the bottom corner, just past your favourite hill. Then it picks up some of the Decathlon 5k route and comes pick up onto the original out and back. Then it’s down behind the football pitches, picking up the current course, going up cruella. When you get to the crossroads where you started, turn right for a new out and back, then along to cinder hill and down again, following the path to the left at the bottom and back up cruella. You then do the same out and back, but turn right at the end of that, picking up the out and back towards the car park. The finish is just after the turn. Hope that makes sense.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed May 19, 2021 7:47 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:28 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:15 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Having taken a look at the new course and realised how close to the finish, the second time up Cruella now is, I can safely say I have absolutely no chance of a sprint finish! Safe to say that my PB days are well and truly behind me! 😢
I looked at that map a few times and couldn't suss out where it started,where it takes us or where it finishes. They still haven't suggested standing on the start line in roughly the place you expect to finish.
Starts on the crossroads where the new out and back is, but on the path we run up when we go out to Burnden. From there to the top of cinder hill and go down there, turning right in the bottom corner, just past your favourite hill. Then it picks up some of the Decathlon 5k route and comes pick up onto the original out and back. Then it’s down behind the football pitches, picking up the current course, going up cruella. When you get to the crossroads where you started, turn right for a new out and back, then along to cinder hill and down again, following the path to the left at the bottom and back up cruella. You then do the same out and back, but turn right at the end of that, picking up the out and back towards the car park. The finish is just after the turn. Hope that makes sense.
It does - cheers! Lost the finish but I'll be dying on my arse by then. I'll be needing seconds at the breakfast buffet!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed May 19, 2021 8:06 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Nothing to do with Mrs BP’s good lockdown cooking and not having run for ages, blame it on a slight slope! :wink:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed May 19, 2021 12:23 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:06 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Nothing to do with Mrs BP’s good lockdown cooking and not having run for ages, blame it on a slight slope! :wink:
Right! You're coming to Bolton to experience Cruella in all her glory, for yourself. That poxy slope at HH was nowt compared to Bolton.

You may have a point regarding Mrs BP's cooking. Jam doughnut bun, anyone?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed May 19, 2021 1:14 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:23 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:06 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Right! You're coming to Bolton to experience Cruella in all her glory, for yourself. That poxy slope at HH was nowt compared to Bolton.

You may have a point regarding Mrs BP's cooking. Jam doughnut bun, anyone?
I’m sure there will come a time when I cheer you on as you run up it...

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu May 20, 2021 1:37 pm

London Mayor Sadiq Khan now intervening on London's inconspicuous absence from parkrun approvals with an open letter...

We'll see what they say tomorrow, and I do hope it's back, but f*ck me parkrun top brass seem like a right sort.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 20, 2021 2:35 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:37 pm
London Mayor Sadiq Khan now intervening on London's inconspicuous absence from parkrun approvals with an open letter...

We'll see what they say tomorrow, and I do hope it's back, but f*ck me parkrun top brass seem like a right sort.
Seb Coe's getting involved now too. Apparently 1.2m folk have dropped out of/drastically reduced their regular exercise since lockdown. Parkrun's absolutely the thing to get folk moving again (just not Bolton.... yet ;) )
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 20, 2021 10:10 pm

It'll not be back until after the final covid restrictions are removed late June, no chance.
After that I think some will never come back because they've got too big and the break is an opportunity to stop for some landowners or councils.
I did tooting common when I was living in London and it was ridiculous. 1000+ on the narrowest of courses. London needs more parkruns, but where?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri May 21, 2021 6:30 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:10 pm
It'll not be back until after the final covid restrictions are removed late June, no chance.
After that I think some will never come back because they've got too big and the break is an opportunity to stop for some landowners or councils.
I did tooting common when I was living in London and it was ridiculous. 1000+ on the narrowest of courses. London needs more parkruns, but where?
Absolute deathtrap that place. On a similar note remember starting my parkrun 'career' at mile end some ten years ago, a lovely two lapper with maybe a couple dozen participants. I went back to visit three years ago and was staggered to see it had grown into a run several-hundred strong, all on two-people wide pathways, one section with a post in the middle and another with the canal catching your fall on one side. Love the place, but I can understand reservations in some quarters.

As for where, it's a good question which outside of opening up Hyde Park and regents I don't have a good answer to.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri May 21, 2021 6:37 am

See Bolton got the nod. Good on ya.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri May 21, 2021 6:42 am

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri May 21, 2021 7:41 am

Woke up to find my friend had sacked off our Friday after school run ‘run’ today. Very relieved because I really didn’t fancy it and was trying to think of excuses myself :oops: . Motivation zero at the moment :?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 21, 2021 8:14 am

Parkrun pushed back again until the 26th June.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 21, 2021 9:42 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:10 pm
Ah, you've just reminded me. I must make a start on Angus Calder's 'The Myth of the Blitz'. It's still here on my 'to read' shelf. :)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 24, 2021 2:00 pm

Had an absolute cracker of a weekend. Saturday was my first club run with Horwich Harriers and the inaugural Red Moss 5k. 2.5 loops on a course as flat as a Witches tit. Some puddles but that just made it more fun. Took it (relatively) easy and got round in 22.20

Sunday was a different beast. My first Horwich triathlon. The best part about it was it was a short walk (1/2 mile) to the start. Have to say the organisation was excellent. Registration and transition areas all set out with covid compliance. 500m pool swim started us off then a 40km bike ride which started up Chorley New Road then down through Moss Bank Way, up Smithills Dean Road and through to Belmont. From there it went through Abbey Village, Wheelton, Withnell Fold and into Chorley. Back into Horwich via Limbrick to complete the loop. Then it was onto the run. From the leisure centre it was out onto CNR up to Gingham Brow and then a climb up through Marklands and Georges Lane to the pike. Nearly 4.5 km of up. The payoff obviously was the finish as it was all downhill (although not the stablest underfoot conditions) Finished the lot in 2:48:11 and 169th out of 299. Not bad for a fat old fart.

Bring on Cruella I say...….. :twisted:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 24, 2021 4:47 pm

Just caught up on Laura Muir paralysing he field in the 1500 m . What an amazing little runner she is. That and Diane Asher Smith taking the 100 m. Good stuff.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat May 29, 2021 8:30 am

Struggled round on a short run yesterday. Determined to go out twice a week after half term. I have a vets t and f league in a few weeks. No high or triple which I’m not sure if I’m happy or sad about given I’ve not done either in about 2 years. Long jump and some throws, possibly a relay. Could be embarrassing but I guess everyone is in a similar boat!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:59 pm

Good to get out with HG this evening. Although the hottest day of the year probably wasn’t the wisest choice on which to make my return, after a 4 week lay off. A very gentle 5k in absolutely ridiculous heat! I need a lie down now. 😴

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:13 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:59 pm
Good to get out with HG this evening. Although the hottest day of the year probably wasn’t the wisest choice on which to make my return, after a 4 week lay off. A very gentle 5k in absolutely ridiculous heat! I need a lie down now. 😴
You won't melt, etc etc

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:35 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:13 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:59 pm
You won't melt, etc etc
I nearly fecking did!

#wankerstoaman