The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:41 pm

After getting quite fit I've had a fairly unathletic few days. Great weekend in the lakes but tweaked my back.running Saturday, got bit on the ankle by a horse fly Sunday, so it's now double its normal size and then ate 4 choc éclairs and an aero on way to second vaccination this evening 😀
Back on it after the England game...

Oh yes, I have also spunked £190 on some carbon plate cheat shoes after seeing nearly everyone wearing them at my recent 5k. Double what I've ever paid for trainers before. What would Bijou Bob say!?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:26 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:41 pm
After getting quite fit I've had a fairly unathletic few days. Great weekend in the lakes but tweaked my back.running Saturday, got bit on the ankle by a horse fly Sunday, so it's now double its normal size and then ate 4 choc éclairs and an aero on way to second vaccination this evening 😀
Back on it after the England game...

Oh yes, I have also spunked £190 on some carbon plate cheat shoes after seeing nearly everyone wearing them at my recent 5k. Double what I've ever paid for trainers before. What would Bijou Bob say!?
Camping was fun then! 🏕

Blimey re the shoes, they should be getting you sub 15 5k’s at that price!

32k steps today. I’m shattered. Football was fun though I was super rusty. Scored one goal though and also took a ball to the face blocking! Ooof!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:55 pm

Busy day of ‘sport’ for me today. Pilates this morning, I deffo need the stretching now I’m an old person, took my U11’s for cricket at work this afternoon, they won by 61 runs and finished their season unbeaten, then a late night swim, just over 1k done. Knackered now.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:15 pm

Sussex champs today. Bit of a damp squib. Literally. Officials were a shambles. Due to start at 11am, didn't til gone half past and due to mix ups with the boards some people didn’t jump at all for the first hour. i jumped ok the first jump, then I couldn’t get my run up sorted at all, bodged up attempts 2,3 and 4 and by the time I hit the board again for jumps 5 and 6 my legs were spent. It doesn’t half take it out of you! :oops: Too old for this!!

Hope GTE is currently storming to the finish line of his Ironman!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:59 am

Morning. Taken this long to remember I need to update/ brag to this group about my day of fun last Sunday. As some of you know I did my third Ironman in Bolton and this was, by far, the hardest one yet.

The day started well with dull skies at Pennington Flash - the swim venue. Into the water for the first loop (1.9km) of the swim section and all was good until I exited the lake for the first time. It's called an Aussie exit and the idea is you run out up a ramp, along a pontoon, then back in the water for the second (1.9km) loop. Unfortunately for me I didn't see the step they'd placed halfway up the ramp. A combination of bodies in front of me and wet goggles blurring my vision meant I simply didn't see, going sprawling on the floor like a tobogganing penguin. Got to my feet, ran back into the water and then felt a searing pain in my big toe. Thinking I'd cut it I had to kick just with my right foot for the majority of the second loop. The pain eased towards the last 500metres and I was out of the water in 1hr 28 minutes.

I ran through to the first transition point. This is where you ditch the wetsuit and get your cycling clobber on. I checked my toe which fortunately was still attached (although already blackening) and put socks and cycle shoes on. I decided to at least give the cycle a go even if I had to stop late. To my surprise I had little to no pain on the bike. This was largely due to the biblical rain conditions I had to endure (as well as everyone else obvs.) on the second loop (of 3). Chorley New Road was a shallow sea. I could see Horseshoe Crabs beaching on the pavements and ripple marks forming in the blacktop. I didn't think it was possible to get wetter on a bike than in the lake but I was wrong. The cycle section is 112 with a point to point from the lake to Horwich and then 3 x 32 mile loops around the undulating West Pennine Moors including the notorious Sheephouse Lane (reverse). This is a slog. It's mentally and physically exhausting. There is over 7,500ft of climb along this course, almost a third of the height of Everest, and is considered one of the toughest rides in Ironman. I finally finished in just under 8 hours

The last bit is the easy bit. A marathon. 26.2 miles of road running with a brutal hill in Queens Park just for the hell of it. I took my cycle shoes off and changed my socks before putting on my running trainers. My plan previously has been to run the first 8 miles and then run/walk the rest. This has rewarded me with a 4hr 50min run time. However my foot was telling me it wasn't having any of that and so I decided to run/walk the total distance and to hell with it. There's not much to say about the run. It was uneventful. I saw and chatted to loads of people, eat food, drank water and isotonic drinks, and generally had a very relaxed time. Bizzarely I managed to do a 5hr 3minute 'run' and so was only marginally slower than my previous 2. I saw Bruce Rioja and Burnden Paddock a number of times on the course (cheers lads) and made the cut off of 17hrs with over 2 hors to spare.

My final time was 14hrs 49min 39secs. I am an Ironman (again) and have vowed I will never do that again (again)

The toe is still sore, although not as battered and bruised as it was, and I can move it perfectly well now, so no breaks. Triathlon is a brilliant sport I would urge anyone to do. Ironman is the pinnacle of that. And if I can do one (okay three) then anyone can.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:14 pm

Well done Gary. I don't know if I'm more in awe that you have managed to do that or that you would want to in the first place :D

But superb stuff.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:05 pm

Was a great effort mate, well done. If you do decide to do another I'd make it a half distance somewhere sunny! My mate keeps talking about us doing a half ironman somewhere but I'm just not that keen on swimming or cycling, which is a drawback.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:53 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:05 pm
Was a great effort mate, well done. If you do decide to do another I'd make it a half distance somewhere sunny! My mate keeps talking about us doing a half ironman somewhere but I'm just not that keen on swimming or cycling, which is a drawback.
Not liking swimming or cycling could limit you a bit… 🤔

It’s an immense achievement Gte and you should be very proud of yourself. I’m in awe! :shock: Massive well done. I’d personally have quit when I hurt my toe!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:39 pm

I’ve done sod all this week after an energetic last week. Youngest having to self isolate has given me an excuse to stay in and sit on my arse. Certain times of the ahem, month, I don’t fancy much exercise anyway. You men really do have things easy!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:39 pm
Certain times of the ahem, month, I don’t fancy much exercise anyway. You men really do have things easy!
Well, if ever there was a "let's make a reason to get out of the house for a run/walk/wash the car/count the bricks in the front wall/go to the pub. That's right up there.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:21 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:39 pm
Certain times of the ahem, month, I don’t fancy much exercise anyway. You men really do have things easy!
Well, if ever there was a "let's make a reason to get out of the house for a run/walk/wash the car/count the bricks in the front wall/go to the pub. That's right up there.
Ha! Some months my mood is as sunny as always(!) and some months I’m far more irrational and grumpy, though it’s not ever prompted Mr GG to go for a run. Pub however… 🤔

Anyway, if it’s not TMI, you need to share with your better halves that period pants are a total game changer. Recent convert here.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:01 pm

Yeah, pub here too. Two benefits. 1) Not there and 2) don't care when home.

A little bit of wee won't stop me.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:01 pm

Mrs Worthys so lucky to be married to such an understanding, enlightened, new age man. I assume the pub is after you’ve tenderly made her a hot water bottle and given paracetamol and chocolate! 🤔

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:38 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:06 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Mrs Worthys so lucky to be married to such an understanding, enlightened, new age man. I assume the pub is after you’ve tenderly made her a hot water bottle and given paracetamol and chocolate! 🤔
I find parking a bottle of proper bubbles near the bath seemed to work myself, maybe with a decent bunch of daffs and enough candles to launch a small rocket. Mrs Worthy no longer has this issue.;-)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:51 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:38 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:06 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

I find parking a bottle of proper bubbles near the bath seemed to work myself, maybe with a decent bunch of daffs and enough candles to launch a small rocket. Mrs Worthy no longer has this issue.;-)

Lucky Mrs Worthy. Some advantages to getting older!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:43 am

Managed 4km yesterday evening. First 'proper' run for five months. Still some twinge but overall thrilled with that. Running doesn't seem impossible again.

Good job too because there is plenty of excess beef to shift! 😳
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:08 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:43 am
Managed 4km yesterday evening. First 'proper' run for five months. Still some twinge but overall thrilled with that. Running doesn't seem impossible again.

Good job too because there is plenty of excess beef to shift! 😳
Good news, seems to have dragged on for a while. Hope you've no further setbacks. I'm resting a bit of a calf niggle but should be back into it soon. Love summer running and have a couple of 10ks lined up in the autumn as well as parkruns.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:52 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:05 pm

Cheers. Oh I've not retired from the sport, its' just that 6 months of (very little) alcohol and a social life to rival Anne Frank means I don't want to do anymore full distance. I intend to do a few half distance and Olympic distance and am even considering investing a couple of grand on a bike to help my times. (Although losing a couple of kilos would help too). :D

Fully intend to carry this on into my 60's barring serious injury and/or death. :lol:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:58 pm

Normality will seem a lot closer tomorrow with frickley country parkrun and a filthy breakfast. In keeping with tradition I'll be having a skinful in Chapel Allerton tonight.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:11 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:58 pm
Normality will seem a lot closer tomorrow with frickley country parkrun and a filthy breakfast. In keeping with tradition I'll be having a skinful in Chapel Allerton tonight.
:pray: