The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:43 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Modern running shoes are highly engineered lightweight accessories designed for the specific purpose of, get this, running in! :shock:
And there was me thinking they'd been engineered entirely with the purpose of extracting the largest amount of wedge possible out of your wallet "Because all me mates are wearing them".
Ah, you're confusing running shoes with pub shoes. My drinkers are 'Porsche Designed' or so it says on them. :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:With my running days long behind me I sought out this thread just to ask a question:

Perhaps footballers should still play in pit boots too?! :roll:

You really don't do yourself any favours on the clueless old git front sometimes, but this time you really should've kept schtum. Diving boots? Modern running shoes are highly engineered lightweight accessories designed for the specific purpose of, get this, running in! :shock:

Tennis shoes likewise.

Your gardening shoes are probably best used for weeding.
How is it anyone else just answers the question in a civil manner yet you always have to do the Billy Big Bollox put down bit,( usually closely followed by LL's guffaw?) You claim I don't do myself any favours with basically harmless comments,( usually in fun, believe it or not) you do yourself far less by your self-appointed forum bully-boy attitude mate, believe me. It has little or no affect on me, but it sure doesn't do you any favours, at least not in my book. But hey, trot on big fella and smirk away. Maybe I'm not just quite as clueless as you think.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:41 pm

I'd happily 'trot on', but I took your advice on footwear and appear to be rooted to the spot!

Cue Lofthouse Lower. :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:41 pm

:lol:

This place cracks me up sometimes

edit 8) Image

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:48 pm

I think we're seeing the birth of the new Morecambe and Not-so-Wise.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I think we're seeing the birth of the new Morecambe and Not-so-Wise.
:lol: :laugh:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Dish it out, take it back. All part of the great forum game. Let's move on.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Anyone else watch the Diamond League athletics on BBC2 tonight? Normally we go to Crystal Palace and watch live but didn't get there this year. Mo Farrah ran a storming race, one to watch next year at the Olympics...

The British relay teams are terrible... My U11's could get the baton round the track way better then our 2 international womens teams tonight and its not the first time the women (and the men) have cocked up the changeovers over the past few years.

Feeling inspired to take up pole vaulting now, we don't have the facilities at our track but it looks a fab event, would love to give it a proper go.

Theres nothing quite like football but IMHO Athletics is a pretty close second best...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:59 pm

Kept half an eye on it whilst following the game. Where does Mo Farrah get his power from? He absolutely smashed the 3000 metres field. Love seeing our little pocket rocket,Jenny Meadows, show em how too. Great little competitor that girl. Rest didn't break many pots.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Just watching some of the world champs. Bolt disqualified in the 100m when he was nailed on gold! He didn't look a happy bunny, funnily enough...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:07 pm

Just watched Mo Farrahs run, poor love, he was soooo close... :(

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:27 pm

There's hope for all of us...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd5XMgbG ... r_embedded#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

American Samoan shot-putter failed to qualify so decided to try out for the 100m.

Brilliant.

Also, shame Usain Bolt was disqualifed in the final, but if it's the lynchpin to get the rules changed before the Olympic Games then for me it'll only be a positive. Jamaica's 4 x 100m will be unreal at 2012 Games. Powell- Nesta- Blake- Bolt...just don't drop the baton!
http://www.twitter.com/jderbyshirebwfc

"Like putting a tiara on a shirehorse"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:37 pm

It's the British teams who always drop the baton...

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:55 pm

In slightly less exciting news, I had my first jog out today following ankle physio. Holding up so far, am hopeful. Long road ahead though, literally (Chorley New)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Good news HRG, hope the ankle continues to hold up!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:32 am

[quote="hisroyalgingerness"]In slightly less exciting news, I had my first jog out today following ankle physio. Holding up so far, am hopeful. Long road ahead though, literally (Chorley New)[/quote]

The whole of it?

Get yourself up the Pike ya wimp! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, good luck in the recovery.

I've got two 10k races over the next two weekends. Hoping for sub 44 minutes in at least one of them.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:13 pm

11k if I do beehive and back. Reckon I'm a month away from that. Running was a habit. They say if you lose a habit you replace it with something else. My "something else" was cake

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:28 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:11k if I do beehive and back. Reckon I'm a month away from that. Running was a habit. They say if you lose a habit you replace it with something else. My "something else" was cake

Similair

When I'm injured I eat the same as I would if I was training. You feel hungry even if you aren't.

Trick I've found is to drink water, which fools your body into thinking your stomach's full. Anyway, good luck with the training.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:28 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:11k if I do beehive and back. Reckon I'm a month away from that. Running was a habit. They say if you lose a habit you replace it with something else. My "something else" was cake
:pray:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:
:pray:

How are you getting on LL? You must be getting enough exercise running between your two Gyms.