The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:53 pm

But sadly your arms aren't strong enough to carry both! :D
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:05 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:[quote="Harry GenshawThere's plenty of clubs to go at and all of them will be of help to you from 100m track to fell marathons. Around here there are'

Bolton Harriers
Burnden Road Runners
Horwich RMI Harriers
Radcliffe AC
Bury AC
Darwen Dashers
Astley & Tyldesley AC
Wigan Phoenix
All of them full of ageing cripples with dodgy knees, skinny arms and sunburnt heads who insist that running is good for you. :crazy:

All of them able to beat you in a post-armageddon race for that last bottle of water/ loaf of bread in the looted out supermarket.

Runners. Planning ahead.[/quote]

Pish, half-arsed attempt at planning ahead. What you need is a missus who is a dead eyed shot with a shotgun. Thanks for offering to beat the rush and carry our supplies out to the car park before we rob you of them though...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Randy Watson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Randy Watson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Randy Watson wrote:I'm fairly new to running and usually get out on my mountain bike. Recently i have upped the running and i am starting to really enjoy it. i prefer running in the country side as apposed to on roads and what not as i do with my bike. I was also wondering about joining a club but one more for fell running rather than athletics. is there any local in the bolton/bury area.

also whats the crack with nike +??
There's plenty of clubs to go at and all of them will be of help to you from 100m track to fell marathons. Around here there are'

Bolton Harriers
Burnden Road Runners
Horwich RMI Harriers
Radcliffe AC
Bury AC
Darwen Dashers
Astley & Tyldesley AC
Wigan Phoenix
Cheers, I'll have a butchers. Some training is required for marathons.
I've got a couple of mate who are members at Bury AC and when i asked them they wern't sure on fell running.
Give a hand to my band… Sexual Chocolate

They play so fine don't you agree!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Used to make use of the track and facilities at Leverhulme a lot when younger. It was Bolton United Harriers then; have they dropped the United?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:09 pm

Randy Watson wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Randy Watson wrote:I'm fairly new to running and usually get out on my mountain bike. Recently i have upped the running and i am starting to really enjoy it. i prefer running in the country side as apposed to on roads and what not as i do with my bike. I was also wondering about joining a club but one more for fell running rather than athletics. is there any local in the bolton/bury area.

There's plenty of clubs to go at and all of them will be of help to you from 100m track to fell marathons. Around here there are'

Bolton Harriers
Burnden Road Runners
Horwich RMI Harriers
Radcliffe AC
Bury AC
Darwen Dashers
Astley & Tyldesley AC
Wigan Phoenix
I've got a couple of mate who are members at Bury AC and when i asked them they wern't sure on fell running.
I don't know what it is but Bury AC & Bolton United (still there Tango, I just don't like writing the word :wink: )Harriers tend to turn up to cross country in numbers and a few road races but not so much at the fells. If you live Bury way and fells is your thing I would join Radcliffe. They're a nice bunch from the ones I know but the yellow vest is a bit off putting.

I forgot Lostock AC in my original list and they are another well organised friendly club, who have some good fell runners amongst their ranks.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:41 pm

New PB in our monthly 5k 'handicap' race.

21.31. This speed endurance training seems to be paying off. :pissed:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:52 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:New PB in our monthly 5k 'handicap' race.

Well done! I'm getting slower... :?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Good work GTE :oyea:

Just discovered the joys of a Garmin. Did what I had thought for the last few years was a 13 mile run over Rivington this afternoon. Garmin tells me it's only 11.77miles. Bugger.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Just discovered the joys of a Garmin. Did what I had thought for the last few years was a 13 mile run over Rivington this afternoon. Garmin tells me it's only 11.77miles. Bugger.
Thats part of the reason i'm getting slower i think. I synced my nike plus. Be interesting to hear how you get on the garmin.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Randy Watson wrote: also whats the crack with nike +??
I have found it really useful and motivating in the past. Once you have the chip, shoe and either ipod or sportsband/watch you're good to go. Sync it up and do your run. It tells you how far you have gone, pace per mile/km, calories burnt as you go (the ipod gives more info on the run then the watch/band does) and if you then connect it to Nike Plus on the pc at home it keeps a record and you can do all sorts of things if you like (which i haven't) set goals, challenge other runners with nike plus, map your routes, rate your runs etc etc. Before i got pregnant with the twins i used it quite regulalrly and once ran 10 miles (which i probably wouldn't have done without watching it eat up the mileage as i ran, as i am no distance runner)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:58 pm

However did Paula Radcliffe cope? :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:29 am

Bloody hell while being tracked by a yank drone, surfing the web on yer Iphone, listening your Ipod and doing a degree in physics and maths do you actually find any time to run? And to think I'm a luddite about abs on motorbikes! :crazy:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:21 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Thanks HG.

I've heard from people who use the Garmin that it doesn't measure cornering very well which may account for the distance loss. :conf:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:36 am

Hoboh wrote:Bloody hell while being tracked by a yank drone, surfing the web on yer Iphone, listening your Ipod and doing a degree in physics and maths do you actually find any time to run? And to think I'm a luddite about abs on motorbikes! :crazy:

not really sure 100% what your beef is about abs... OK - so my bike doesn't have abs, but... surely abs only kicks in when you've overbraked and lost grip (usually in an emergency). Unless you're a top, top rider (tm Jamie redknapp) you do not have the mental capacity to always judge road condition, surface grit, oil marks, potholes, wet/dry conditions against speed and what braking capacity will lock your wheel... and then if it does - you have to be a pretty cool customer to know (in a split second) to counterintuitively release your brakes in order to regain grip if you are heading for a white van that has just pulled out of a sideroad in the pouring rain...

is it not actually abs - but linked brakes that are toasting your muffin?

Randy Watson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Randy Watson » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:41 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Randy Watson wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Bolton Harriers
Burnden Road Runners
Horwich RMI Harriers
Radcliffe AC
Bury AC
Darwen Dashers
Astley & Tyldesley AC
Wigan Phoenix
I don't know what it is but Bury AC & Bolton United (still there Tango, I just don't like writing the word :wink: )Harriers tend to turn up to cross country in numbers and a few road races but not so much at the fells. If you live Bury way and fells is your thing I would join Radcliffe. They're a nice bunch from the ones I know but the yellow vest is a bit off putting.

I forgot Lostock AC in my original list and they are another well organised friendly club, who have some good fell runners amongst their ranks.
Thanks again mate. Working away in Sunderland at the mo but when i get some time at home i will defiantly be looking into it.

I have found it really useful and motivating in the past. Once you have the chip, shoe and either ipod or sportsband/watch you're good to go. Sync it up and do your run. It tells you how far you have gone, pace per mile/km, calories burnt as you go (the ipod gives more info on the run then the watch/band does) and if you then connect it to Nike Plus on the pc at home it keeps a record and you can do all sorts of things if you like (which i haven't) set goals, challenge other runners with nike plus, map your routes, rate your runs etc etc. Before i got pregnant with the twins i used it quite regulalrly and once ran 10 miles (which i probably wouldn't have done without watching it eat up the mileage as i ran, as i am no distance runner)
GG sounds like a cracking bit of kit, but it must be fairly costly with all the various additions to use it to its full potential??
Give a hand to my band… Sexual Chocolate

They play so fine don't you agree!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:16 pm

Just been out cheering on the Iron men competitors. What an awesome achievement to be able to do something like that. What amazes me every year though, is that there are men & women who complete that event that are actually quite a bit overweight. It's an event you have to train the best part of a year for and the calories you must burn in the race alone must be massive, so I wonder how big some of these people were when they started training! All of em must have teriffic mental strength though

:pray:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:50 pm

Randy Watson wrote:
GG sounds like a cracking bit of kit, but it must be fairly costly with all the various additions to use it to its full potential??
The actual chip itself isn't too expensive. Under a tenner. The sports band is cheaper then an ipod obviously. I used to use my iphone but i dropped it in a puddle in a thunderstorm and now the wifi and nike plus bit are knackered so i got a watch thing instead online for about £35 like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002JEB6N0/r ... B002JEB6N0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then the other thing you need are Nike plus trainers, most of Nikes trainers these days come with Nike Plus capability so not hugely expensive.

I have never used a garmin so i don't know how they compare.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:26 pm

£2,500 for a proper new High Jump mat? :shock: :shock: Could feed a lot of starving people in Somalia for that... :?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:27 am

Gooner Girl wrote:£2,500 for a proper new High Jump mat? :shock: :shock: Could feed a lot of starving people in Somalia for that... :?

Lottery grant?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:43 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:£2,500 for a proper new High Jump mat? :shock: :shock: Could feed a lot of starving people in Somalia for that... :?

Lottery grant?
We're getting £500 from the council and have managed to find one slightly cheaper, it isn't legal measurements for competition but that doesn't matter as we only have a grass track so don't hold meets, it just still seems an awful lot of money for what it is (though to save your skin being ripped off by the other, old, knackered cover you'd probably need to jump in a wetsuit, i keep forgetting and end up with grazes all over my arms and shoulders :? )