The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7416
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Made the mistake of not warming up before I hit the running machine today.

Can tell this hamstring will be sore tomorrow.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8255
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Made the mistake of not warming up before I hit the running machine today.

Can tell this hamstring will be sore tomorrow.

Not sure how much warming up you can do in the gym. You could start by jogging slowly for 10 minutes or a mile whichever comes first and then increase the rate on the machine. It's just as important that you warm down properly too. Your instructor (whichever Gym you're at) should be able to devise a simple 5 minute stretch and warm down routine for you.

Good luck

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7416
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:10 pm

I just went straight into the running, as I was pressed for time - usually I would do a walk on the machine for a couple of miles and then run for the same period before walking again and moving on to another machine.

No instructors, it's a 'gymgroup' one where you get a big open space, loads of machines and that's it. Gives 'no frills' a whole new name.

Verbal
Icon
Icon
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:11 am
Location: Silly London

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Verbal » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:18 pm

For me the crosstrainer is very underrated as a piece of gym equipment. Usually do 20-30mins on it at the start - 4mins at a medium resistance, 1 at max resistance, then 3 at medium, 2 at max...etc, etc. Really good warm up workout.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8255
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:I just went straight into the running, as I was pressed for time - usually I would do a walk on the machine for a couple of miles and then run for the same period before walking again and moving on to another machine.

No instructors, it's a 'gymgroup' one where you get a big open space, loads of machines and that's it. Gives 'no frills' a whole new name.

....and Physio's a field day!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7416
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:20 pm

probably

if i'm too cheap for a proper gym then i'm definitely too cheap for physiotherapy.

Am getting back into playing 5 a side after a three month break, so am using this to get some modicum of fitness back before I end up puking all over the pitch, which isn't a good look.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8255
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:23 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:probably

if i'm too cheap for a proper gym then i'm definitely too cheap for physiotherapy.

Am getting back into playing 5 a side after a three month break, so am using this to get some modicum of fitness back before I end up puking all over the pitch, which isn't a good look.

You would seriously be better off sacking the running machine off and finding a hill to run up. Try sprinting 100m uphill then jog back down to the start. Repeat this 6 times then rest for two minutes. That's one set. Do three.

Do some core training with sprints, press ups, crunches etc. Short bursts are what you need, not 10k's.

And don't forget to warm up/ down.
Last edited by Gary the Enfield on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:28 pm

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:24 pm

There's a free gym at Winter Hill.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7416
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Lofthouse Lower wrote:probably

if i'm too cheap for a proper gym then i'm definitely too cheap for physiotherapy.

Am getting back into playing 5 a side after a three month break, so am using this to get some modicum of fitness back before I end up puking all over the pitch, which isn't a good look.

You would seriously be better off sacking the running machine off and finding a hill to run up. Do some core training with sprints, press ups, crunches etc. Short bursts are what you need, not 10k's.
Ain't too many hills where I live, sadly, hence the need to find a gym :(

thebish
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37588
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:01 am
Location: In my armchair

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:There's a free gym at Winter Hill.
or.. just a few flights of stairs.
Some people are like Slinkies … not really good for anything, but you can’t help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7416
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:28 pm

Your contribution, as ever, is welcomed and dismissed.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12894
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Lofthouse Lower wrote:Made the mistake of not warming up before I hit the running machine today.

Can tell this hamstring will be sore tomorrow.

Not sure how much warming up you can do in the gym. You could start by jogging slowly for 10 minutes or a mile whichever comes first and then increase the rate on the machine. It's just as important that you warm down properly too. Your instructor (whichever Gym you're at) should be able to devise a simple 5 minute stretch and warm down routine for you.

Good luck

By a nice log fire in a country pub with a good pint is enough "warming up" thankyou

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7507
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:58 pm

I went to my clubs speed session at the track tonight. 3 sets of 6 x 300m with 45 sec recovery. Not only was it bloody knackering but for some reason only the elite guys turned up. Usually, I have one or two fellow duffers running around me, tonight I was trailing in 6 or 7 seconds after the group and hence had less recovery time before we were off again.

Might treat myself to a Maccy Ds brekkie tomorrow 8)
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Anton Fingers
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Anton Fingers » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Nike Air Max is THE choice of burglar running away from the old bill

HTH

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12894
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Anton Fingers wrote:Nike Air Max is THE choice of burglar running away from the old bill

HTH

Gixer thou is mine

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8255
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I went to my clubs speed session at the track tonight. 3 sets of 6 x 300m with 45 sec recovery. Not only was it bloody knackering but for some reason only the elite guys turned up. Usually, I have one or two fellow duffers running around me, tonight I was trailing in 6 or 7 seconds after the group and hence had less recovery time before we were off again.

Might treat myself to a Maccy Ds brekkie tomorrow 8)

You should do it on the way home from training. Eating within an hour of exercise means your metabolic rate will smash any calories you eat!

I did a core strengthening session in the park tonight. Figures of eight around a hilly field, hill sprints, press ups, sit ups and squat thrusts all made for a tired, but happy Gary. Glass of wine to finish the night then I'm off to my pit.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37588
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:01 am
Location: In my armchair

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I went to my clubs speed session at the track tonight. 3 sets of 6 x 300m with 45 sec recovery. Not only was it bloody knackering but for some reason only the elite guys turned up. Usually, I have one or two fellow duffers running around me, tonight I was trailing in 6 or 7 seconds after the group and hence had less recovery time before we were off again.

Might treat myself to a Maccy Ds brekkie tomorrow 8)

You should do it on the way home from training. Eating within an hour of exercise means your metabolic rate will smash any calories you eat!

I did a core strengthening session in the park tonight. Figures of eight around a hilly field, hill sprints, press ups, sit ups and squat thrusts all made for a tired, but happy Gary. Glass of wine to finish the night then I'm off to my pit.
don't forget your lamp and your budgie...
Some people are like Slinkies … not really good for anything, but you can’t help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8255
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:45 pm

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I went to my clubs speed session at the track tonight. 3 sets of 6 x 300m with 45 sec recovery. Not only was it bloody knackering but for some reason only the elite guys turned up. Usually, I have one or two fellow duffers running around me, tonight I was trailing in 6 or 7 seconds after the group and hence had less recovery time before we were off again.

Might treat myself to a Maccy Ds brekkie tomorrow 8)

You should do it on the way home from training. Eating within an hour of exercise means your metabolic rate will smash any calories you eat!

I did a core strengthening session in the park tonight. Figures of eight around a hilly field, hill sprints, press ups, sit ups and squat thrusts all made for a tired, but happy Gary. Glass of wine to finish the night then I'm off to my pit.
don't forget your lamp and your budgie...
:grin:

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38621
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:58 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Your contribution, as ever, is welcomed and dismissed.
Don't dismiss stairs, or at least steps as useful. Bolton Karate Club use to be in Spinners Hall and after a warm up of stretches, push ups and lying on your back with your feet four inches off the floor for as long as you could, we used to go for a run and end up sprinting up the steps in Queens Park and back home. Real killer it was, and that's before the karate training even started
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7416
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Day two went well, including a bit of rowing which was interesting.

Don't understand all those who find it necessary to prance about in front of the full length mirrors - narcississtic clowns

edit :roll:
Last edited by Lofthouse Lower on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 27 guests