The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8245
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:21 pm

I'm very happy everyone is keeping up the exercise (or starting again in GG's case). I've trained through the summer but motivation has suffered due to the whole race season cancelling.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7431
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:09 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 pm
You motivated me Bruce. Now the kids are back at school this week I’ve no good excuse either so dusted off my running shorts that have been languishing in a drawer for the last month, grabbed my trainers and the dog and set off for a very slow, unfit, humid few miles. Hated every minute of it!

Before lockdown I’d been approached by a club mate at my club suggesting I enter the southern masters champs with him for triple jump. Obviously that didn’t happen and I wasn’t really in the right sort of form anyway but it’s good to have a dream and maybe now I’ve gone up an age group and I’m a V40 I should have a think about it. Have entered the masters Sussex champs a few time’s but there’s not a massive amount of competition so this would be a next step up. Believe it or not, back shortly after having my youngest i was jumping well enough to make top 15 in the country in my age group for both triple and high and I’d love to get to that sort of standard again. Can’t do much triple jumping at the moment obviously and my coach has cancer :( but if I can get a bit of strength into my legs and core over the winter from running and maybe incorporating some speed work then that’s a good basis for next year.i just have very little motivation. I need to get into the ‘habit’ again if that makes sense.
Are you a nun? :shock:

Yes. Had you missed that fact?! 😇

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8245
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:46 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:22 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:09 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 pm
You motivated me Bruce. Now the kids are back at school this week I’ve no good excuse either so dusted off my running shorts that have been languishing in a drawer for the last month, grabbed my trainers and the dog and set off for a very slow, unfit, humid few miles. Hated every minute of it!

Before lockdown I’d been approached by a club mate at my club suggesting I enter the southern masters champs with him for triple jump. Obviously that didn’t happen and I wasn’t really in the right sort of form anyway but it’s good to have a dream and maybe now I’ve gone up an age group and I’m a V40 I should have a think about it. Have entered the masters Sussex champs a few time’s but there’s not a massive amount of competition so this would be a next step up. Believe it or not, back shortly after having my youngest i was jumping well enough to make top 15 in the country in my age group for both triple and high and I’d love to get to that sort of standard again. Can’t do much triple jumping at the moment obviously and my coach has cancer :( but if I can get a bit of strength into my legs and core over the winter from running and maybe incorporating some speed work then that’s a good basis for next year.i just have very little motivation. I need to get into the ‘habit’ again if that makes sense.
Are you a nun? :shock:

Yes. Had you missed that fact?! 😇
Plainly...…..

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7431
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:59 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:46 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:22 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:09 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 pm
You motivated me Bruce. Now the kids are back at school this week I’ve no good excuse either so dusted off my running shorts that have been languishing in a drawer for the last month, grabbed my trainers and the dog and set off for a very slow, unfit, humid few miles. Hated every minute of it!

Before lockdown I’d been approached by a club mate at my club suggesting I enter the southern masters champs with him for triple jump. Obviously that didn’t happen and I wasn’t really in the right sort of form anyway but it’s good to have a dream and maybe now I’ve gone up an age group and I’m a V40 I should have a think about it. Have entered the masters Sussex champs a few time’s but there’s not a massive amount of competition so this would be a next step up. Believe it or not, back shortly after having my youngest i was jumping well enough to make top 15 in the country in my age group for both triple and high and I’d love to get to that sort of standard again. Can’t do much triple jumping at the moment obviously and my coach has cancer :( but if I can get a bit of strength into my legs and core over the winter from running and maybe incorporating some speed work then that’s a good basis for next year.i just have very little motivation. I need to get into the ‘habit’ again if that makes sense.
Are you a nun? :shock:

Yes. Had you missed that fact?! 😇
Plainly...…..
It’s a bit tricky to run in.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8354
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:47 pm

I'm picturing you galloping musically through the hills of Sussex like Julie Andrews.
...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8354
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:48 pm

(GG that is, not GtE. Although....)
...

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2893
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:16 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:59 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:46 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:22 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:09 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 pm
You motivated me Bruce. Now the kids are back at school this week I’ve no good excuse either so dusted off my running shorts that have been languishing in a drawer for the last month, grabbed my trainers and the dog and set off for a very slow, unfit, humid few miles. Hated every minute of it!

Before lockdown I’d been approached by a club mate at my club suggesting I enter the southern masters champs with him for triple jump. Obviously that didn’t happen and I wasn’t really in the right sort of form anyway but it’s good to have a dream and maybe now I’ve gone up an age group and I’m a V40 I should have a think about it. Have entered the masters Sussex champs a few time’s but there’s not a massive amount of competition so this would be a next step up. Believe it or not, back shortly after having my youngest i was jumping well enough to make top 15 in the country in my age group for both triple and high and I’d love to get to that sort of standard again. Can’t do much triple jumping at the moment obviously and my coach has cancer :( but if I can get a bit of strength into my legs and core over the winter from running and maybe incorporating some speed work then that’s a good basis for next year.i just have very little motivation. I need to get into the ‘habit’ again if that makes sense.
Are you a nun? :shock:

Yes. Had you missed that fact?! 😇
Plainly...…..
It’s a bit tricky to run in.
Careful. Sounds like a nasty trip hazard! 😬

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7431
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:53 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:47 pm
I'm picturing you galloping musically through the hills of Sussex like Julie Andrews.

If you’d been nearer the back at Clair park run you’d have been treated to the distant warblings of “the hills are alive...” Serves you right for being so fast and missing out on that musical feast.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7431
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:54 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:16 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:59 pm

It’s a bit tricky to run in.
Careful. Sounds like a nasty trip hazard! 😬

You’d know! 🤕

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8245
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:20 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:48 pm
(GG that is, not GtE. Although....)
You just need to ask nicely. :-D

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2893
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:46 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:53 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:47 pm
I'm picturing you galloping musically through the hills of Sussex like Julie Andrews.

If you’d been nearer the back at Clair park run you’d have been treated to the distant warblings of “the hills are alive...” Serves you right for being so fast and missing out on that musical feast.

He’ll have heard it when he whizzed past us those 2 or 3 times!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8354
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:54 pm

The only sound the hills are alive with during my parkruns is of my arse.
...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7431
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:37 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:54 pm
The only sound the hills are alive with during my parkruns is of my arse.

And there are a lot of hills at Clair Park. I’m not sure the pollution levels have dropped back down in Mid Sussex since your epic wind powered victory 💨

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7431
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:46 am

Went back to Pilates yesterday. Determined from next week I’m going to be more on it exercise wise. Had a horrendous run last week, possibly my worst ever, though in my defence I had a cold and it was stupid of me to go out. Colds gone now near enough and so I’m back out tomorrow morning for the first run since, though I’m a bit nervous it’s going to be really rubbish again :cry:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8354
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:05 pm

I've entered a 5k 'covid rules' race on an airfield near York. Set off in groups of 6 and everything is chip timed.
Got really fit during the first 3 months of lockdown but house move and boredom with no races means I've let it slip. Need the motivation, even if it is a bit weird.
Following it with a trip to the RAF museum, which the future Mrs LE will like as a former RAF brat.
...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36110
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:39 am

Some years ago Thebish shared an excellent slow cooker recipe for vegetarian chili bean soup with me; a recipe which I still use to this day. In fact, only this week I decided to knock-up a batch after my younger brother gave me a bag full of his homegrown scotch bonnet chilis. Oh my! Yesterday evening's trot round LHP with BP served as notice - never again have a bowl full of this stuff for lunch when running that same evening, especially when the facilities at the venue are on lockdown. Nike + has recorded my final 1K as being 24 seconds faster than those before. What it hasn't recorded is me clearing the stairs in my house (including negotiating the turn) in three strides :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23770
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:27 am

Sounds like more of a pressure cooker than a slow cooker! Well done that man. :lol:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2893
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:39 am
Some years ago Thebish shared an excellent slow cooker recipe for vegetarian chili bean soup with me; a recipe which I still use to this day. In fact, only this week I decided to knock-up a batch after my younger brother gave me a bag full of his homegrown scotch bonnet chilis. Oh my! Yesterday evening's trot round LHP with BP served as notice - never again have a bowl full of this stuff for lunch when running that same evening, especially when the facilities at the venue are on lockdown. Nike + has recorded my final 1K as being 24 seconds faster than those before. What it hasn't recorded is me clearing the stairs in my house (including negotiating the turn) in three strides :D

Think yourself lucky you made it home. I had my doubts! 😂

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36110
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:07 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:39 am
Some years ago Thebish shared an excellent slow cooker recipe for vegetarian chili bean soup with me; a recipe which I still use to this day. In fact, only this week I decided to knock-up a batch after my younger brother gave me a bag full of his homegrown scotch bonnet chilis. Oh my! Yesterday evening's trot round LHP with BP served as notice - never again have a bowl full of this stuff for lunch when running that same evening, especially when the facilities at the venue are on lockdown. Nike + has recorded my final 1K as being 24 seconds faster than those before. What it hasn't recorded is me clearing the stairs in my house (including negotiating the turn) in three strides :D

Think yourself lucky you made it home. I had my doubts! 😂
As did I, mate. 😁
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8354
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:20 am

Escaping bats?
...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests