Metal theft

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Metal theft

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Anyone suffered from this?

Up near my house the little ratbastards have nicked copper from houses, metal footy nets and all sorts. Though it did warm the cockles somewhat to hear that one of them injured himself in the process.

Seems to be on the rise.........I read a tale in today's paper that some scrotes (probably gyppos) pinched a load of copper wire from train tracks, which cost £80,000 to repair and contributed to three days of train delays for commuters, all in exchange for the equivalent of £50 in salvage costs. Wankers.

The bosses should bring back the death penalty for metal theft, as they did in harsher times.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Metal theft

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:26 pm

Yeah, it was Pikeys that went round the M60 a year or two ago knicking panels off the roadsigns.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:16 pm

Nationalise scrap yards. They're the beggars paying out and turning a blind eye to all the thieving.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:26 pm

Here's a metal-theft tale with a twist. Though it happened years ago, I can vouch for its truth:

A bloke rolled up to a scrapyard with a waggonload of scap meatal. He went on the weigh bridge and got the load weighed (had to jump out of the waggon of course). Hiding under a couple of metal sheets in the back of the waggon was his fourteen stone mate. Tipped the load and then his mate walked back to the entrance and waited for him. Drove back, got the waggon weighed empty and was paid for the difference in weight. They then drove off with the cash equivalent of an extra 196 lb weight more than they took in. I tried to feelsorry for the scrap metal yard....but I had to laugh :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:29 pm

there was a church near us had its lead nicked (not for the first time) - and they had formed a metal-theft watch scheme...

neighbours phoned the police when they saw the thieves on the roof - the police arrived as the thieves were loading the lead into their car - a fiat punto...

with three blokes and 12 tonnes of lead the punto didn't exactly hit top speed - the police followed on foot at a gentle walking pace and arrested them!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:00 pm

I can see the scale of this theft at work (telecoms), how much goes walkies is crazy but there are folk being caught also.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Athers wrote:I can see the scale of this theft at work (telecoms), how much goes walkies is crazy but there are folk being caught also.
there are also plenty of folk getting themselves fried when they try to steal wiring from electricity sub-stations...

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:28 pm

thebish wrote:
Athers wrote:I can see the scale of this theft at work (telecoms), how much goes walkies is crazy but there are folk being caught also.
there are also plenty of folk getting themselves fried when they try to steal wiring from electricity sub-stations...
Not enough though.

There was one last year where the scrotes set off the CO2 fire suppression system and one died from asphyxiation. Never mind eh.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:49 pm

thebish wrote:
Someone once emailed me these pictures of a couple of guys that had been fried stealing from a substation. Awful stuff!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:09 pm

Aren't catalytic converters supposed to be popular for thieving gypos at the mo?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Full of gold and other precious metals. There was a spate of thefts of them recently according to my mechanic. Costs about 800 quid (parts only) to replace one.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Full of gold and other precious metals. There was a spate of thefts of them recently according to my mechanic. Costs about 800 quid (parts only) to replace one.
Wouldn't they be better off snaffling saffron though, Chef?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:35 pm

We chefs are more honest than your average scrap merchants, which is why it has never caught on.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:48 pm

Is it true that all of your copper cabling is worth more than 3 times your market cap?!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:27 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Is it true that all of your copper cabling is worth more than 3 times your market cap?!
bt ? probably not really in real terms, someone wouldve bought it if that were true.

but i did read that these FTTC fibre broadband conversions were being paid for by itself by weighing in the copper afterwards. dont know how true that is tho.

the pensions thing is probably holding back bt 's 'worth' .

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:41 am

Pesky pensions. Should scrap the wages too.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Happening around my way too, basts are going around nicking lead flashing off of roofs and bay windows. Come near mine and I will let the dog chew on them....then again not sure what the dog might catch.
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:48 am

We had some of the weasel-faced sh!theads in nicking copper water pipes a few months ago. Came home to find the entrance hall flooded. They got caught on CCTV but I'm not sure if the local constabulary bothered to investigate.

They have at least apprehended one brain-dead druggie tosspot.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/break ... 6847655.jp

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:50 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15532694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Barstards have even started thieving the plaques from war memorials, the metal would bring them a few quid. Hope they throw the book at them when caught.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:12 pm

wovlad wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15532694

Barstards have even started thieving the plaques from war memorials, the metal would bring them a few quid. Hope they throw the book at them when caught.

If the scrap yards didn't take 'em there wouldn't be a market. Been going on a while, this.