Italian Restaurant in Bolton

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Italian Restaurant in Bolton

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:26 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Indeed. Ms Prufrock's mum makes one. No idea where she got the recipe for, but, Oh-em-gee.

Mmmmmmm Tiramisu.................................................................

nahh - food with coffee in it?? that's bollox that is....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:37 pm

San Marino in Belmont (formerly the Wrights). Bob on!
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:San Marino in Belmont (formerly the Wrights). Bob on!
In general or just their tiramisu?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:San Marino in Belmont (formerly the Wrights). Bob on!
In general or just their tiramisu?
In general, Fella. Couple of years since I've been but it's always been nothing short of excellent. Our Kid had his wedding reception their, and you need to bear in mind that his Mrs (and obviously her family) are Italians. I suppose there's no better an endorsment than that.

The Masked Weasel
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by The Masked Weasel » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Luciano's at the Millstone provided me with some of the greatest lamb chops I have ever eaten. The tiramisu wasn't bad either :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:44 pm

The Masked Weasel wrote:Luciano's at the Millstone provided me with some of the greatest lamb chops I have ever eaten. The tiramisu wasn't bad either :wink:

Is it good in there then? I live minutes away, but we never seem to eat anywhere particularly close to home. Not been to the Millstone in about 5 years. Not even been to the Yew Tree in ages, and I can see it! Been tempted by Luciano's though, might take the missus next time she's up.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The Masked Weasel
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by The Masked Weasel » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Prufrock wrote:
The Masked Weasel wrote:Luciano's at the Millstone provided me with some of the greatest lamb chops I have ever eaten. The tiramisu wasn't bad either :wink:

Is it good in there then? I live minutes away, but we never seem to eat anywhere particularly close to home. Not been to the Millstone in about 5 years. Not even been to the Yew Tree in ages, and I can see it! Been tempted by Luciano's though, might take the missus next time she's up.
We really used to enjoy the Millstone and I was quite put out when it closed down. However Luciano's was superb when we visited. All who dined commented how nice it was to finally have a real top quality Italian outside of Manchester. Hope it's good when you go or I shall feel very foolish :D
Last edited by The Masked Weasel on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Cheers

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Gail Platz wrote:I went to Tiggi's a while back and I went outside for a second for some fresh air and got sexually harrassed off some girl with a massive rack coming out of Courtney's. I'm still yet to decide whether it was brilliant or press charges.
:laugh:

Years ago, I knew one of the chefs in what was then Tiggis and he was / is a fantastic cook. Food was always bang on and the place was always very busy. Looks like its gone downhill over the years. Shame really had some very good times in there.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Got a heads-up for the Strawbury Duck last night. Not been for a couple of years, but over the years the place has gone up and down in standard depending on whoever's owned it at that moment. Anyway, apparently the guy that owns San Marino in Belmont now owns it and the line I was given was "The best it's been in over 20 years", and think on, there have been times over the past 20 when it's been excellent.
Train from Bromley Cross to Entwistle it is then. Toot toot :D

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Got a heads-up for the Strawbury Duck last night. Not been for a couple of years, but over the years the place has gone up and down in standard depending on whoever's owned it at that moment. Anyway, apparently the guy that owns San Marino in Belmont now owns it and the line I was given was "The best it's been in over 20 years", and think on, there have been times over the past 20 when it's been excellent.
Tried La Tama in Ainsworth yet, big boy?
Sto ut Serviam

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:Not been to the Millstone in about 5 years. Been tempted by Luciano's though, might take the missus next time she's up.
None of my business at all .... but this is a seriously mysterious line.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:08 pm

:D

She lives in that London.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:06 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Got a heads-up for the Strawbury Duck last night. Not been for a couple of years, but over the years the place has gone up and down in standard depending on whoever's owned it at that moment. Anyway, apparently the guy that owns San Marino in Belmont now owns it and the line I was given was "The best it's been in over 20 years", and think on, there have been times over the past 20 when it's been excellent.
No. Never heard of it, Fatty. Is that the French one?

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:02 pm

About 2 miles down the road from the Strawberry Duck near Hoddleston is a pub called the Crown & Thistle which I can recommend. The braised shoulder of lamb is unbeatable. Decent prices and very friendly owners too.

http://www.thecrownandthistle.co.uk/contact.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

scotty wrote:
About 2 miles down the road from the Strawberry Duck near Hoddleston is a pub called the Crown & Thistle which I can recommend. The braised shoulder of lamb is unbeatable. Decent prices and very friendly owners too.

http://www.thecrownandthistle.co.uk/contact.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ahh, cheers for that, Scotty. Have been a few times over the years and it's been all of those things on each occasion.

However, one of the girls at work went a few weeks back and came in saying that it's turned into a Tapas Bar.

I see from the menu that clearly she went on a Friday - Tapas 'night'. :doh:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:45 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
No. Never heard of it, Fatty. Is that the French one?
Its not French, really

He's Italian

Lovely fella

His wifes lovely, too, but not a fella

Take your credit card and its generally simple fayre -fillet steak in garlic with assorted veg usually does for me - but I loves it when I saves up
Sto ut Serviam

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Ive been to La Tama, very nice. been in the Crown and Thistle a few times lately too, ditto Strawberry Duck. cant beat walking the dog round Entwistle res then straight in there for a few Hoegaardens and a nosebag!

i am still on the lookout for a new decent Italian recommendation tho?

re La Tama, theres a similar set up in Tottington called 'Next Door' - its not italian, or french but its pretty bang on. its a set menu that changes every week, and you take your own hooch too! nice.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:18 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:i am still on the lookout for a new decent Italian recommendation tho?
Telt thi - San Marino in Belmont. Get yourself gone, man. What's that Carmello's (sp?) like in Totty?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Hey Bury boy - the Hoegaarden - draught?

Not that it matters cos it's fine out of a cowd bottle

Do we still see the Grand Cru version, cos thats a mighty fine drop - 6.5% I think
Sto ut Serviam