The life and death of an NHL enforcer

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

The life and death of an NHL enforcer

Post by Verbal » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:03 pm

absolutely mental

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011 ... #chapter/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The life and death of an NHL enforcer

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:34 pm

There is no question that the effects of concussion are a serious problem in contact sports, especially hockey, American football and of course boxing. Fighting in the NHL produces only about 7% of reported concussions - headshots during the play or the head hitting the ice cause much more damage.

The enforcer in hockey has many problems besides concussion. Many have used steroids, take too many painkillers, and a lot of alcohol to cope with the pain and the pressure. Generally they do not enjoy long retirements. Fights are exciting and momentum changers, but I would like to see them banned as they are in the NFL. If a fight meant automatic ejection and suspension it would soon die out. On the other hand, cheap shots and stick fouls would increase if there was no danger of retaliation from the other teams enforcer. Still, the league is changing. My team and others do not have an enforcer per se and the few fights we have are generally little more than wrestling till the players fall down, or the linesmen separate them.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_xproK4-j8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

on 7inch vinyl ftw (although this is the cassette edit, apparantly)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:28 am

a1 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_xproK4-j8

on 7inch vinyl ftw (although this is the cassette edit, apparantly)
That was not the NHL but the WHL. Bench clearing brawls, once a regular occurrence, are now a thing of the past because of the sanctions (massive fines and suspensions for anyone who leaves the bench).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:There is no question that the effects of concussion are a serious problem in contact sports, especially hockey, American football and of course boxing. Fighting in the NHL produces only about 7% of reported concussions - headshots during the play or the head hitting the ice cause much more damage.

The enforcer in hockey has many problems besides concussion. Many have used steroids, take too many painkillers, and a lot of alcohol to cope with the pain and the pressure. Generally they do not enjoy long retirements. Fights are exciting and momentum changers, but I would like to see them banned as they are in the NFL. If a fight meant automatic ejection and suspension it would soon die out. On the other hand, cheap shots and stick fouls would increase if there was no danger of retaliation from the other teams enforcer. Still, the league is changing. My team and others do not have an enforcer per se and the few fights we have are generally little more than wrestling till the players fall down, or the linesmen separate them.
I do worry about taking fighting out because of the speeds the NHL plays at now combined with the armor they wear. People could really get hurt if there was no fear of reprisal.

On the other hand my team has no real Goon, but is stacked with players who play physically imposing hockey. (Unless you want to call Thornton our Goon) The Bruins do end up in their fair share of fights. I just dont want to see the game neutered to be 8-6 affairs with no hitting.

The truth is that they need to do something though, I just dont know what that something is.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Put grass down, take the sticks away and give 'em a ball.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Hockey is a fantasic sport, especially live. I realize that it has little popularity in England but most countries that experience a a frozen winter play the sport at a high level.

I think GB won the first Olympic gold too. (Must have been with Canadians)

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:32 pm

americantrotter wrote:Hockey is a fantasic sport, especially live. I realize that it has little popularity in England but most countries that experience a a frozen winter play the sport at a high level.

I think GB won the first Olympic gold too. (Must have been with Canadians)

I was jesting my friend. I enjoy hockey and had a share in a season ticket (expensive) to the NYR when I lived there.

It was a bastardisation of the joke:

"How do you make basketball better?"

"Make it full contact and put 'em on ice"
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:46 am

americantrotter wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:There is no question that the effects of concussion are a serious problem in contact sports, especially hockey, American football and of course boxing. Fighting in the NHL produces only about 7% of reported concussions - headshots during the play or the head hitting the ice cause much more damage.

I do worry about taking fighting out because of the speeds the NHL plays at now combined with the armor they wear. People could really get hurt if there was no fear of reprisal.

On the other hand my team has no real Goon, but is stacked with players who play physically imposing hockey. (Unless you want to call Thornton our Goon) The Bruins do end up in their fair share of fights. I just dont want to see the game neutered to be 8-6 affairs with no hitting.

The truth is that they need to do something though, I just dont know what that something is.
That to me is the biggest problem these days. Padding is supposed to protect players. The type of padding used today is equally as effective as a weapon. Wouldn't be surprised if the huge increase in concussions of recent years is mostly down to the type of padding they wear today.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Monty:

The purchase of the Leafs for 1.07 Billion dollars (also includes the Raptors and Toronto FC) is only for a 37% share. Is that correct? Sounds an awful lot to me concidering that the soccer side has little value, and the Raptors can't be that much.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:20 pm

don't know much about hockey... but my new brother-in-law used to play ice-hockey for Ratingen EC (Canada) - Terry Farrell...

he lost his right eye in a hockey-stick accident in the late 80s.. he has a glass eye now and is the Sports Editor on the Grande Prairie Herald Tribune...

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:27 pm

willie o'ree was nearly totally blind in one eye. ^^

played in the nhl for a while too..

mental

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:46 pm

seanworth wrote:Monty:

The purchase of the Leafs for 1.07 Billion dollars (also includes the Raptors and Toronto FC) is only for a 37% share. Is that correct? Sounds an awful lot to me concidering that the soccer side has little value, and the Raptors can't be that much.
Actually a 75% share. Rogers and BCE each bought shares for about US O.5 billion, each getting 37.5%. The purchase included the Leafs, Raptors, FC Toronto, a minor league hockey affiliate, a majority share in the Air Canada Centre. and the Leafs/Raptors TV stations. Forbes rated the Raptors around $400 million and the Leafs around $330 million a couple of years ago, so it is not a bad deal.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:50 pm

a1 wrote:willie o'ree was nearly totally blind in one eye. ^^

played in the nhl for a while too..

mental
He is better known as the first black player in the NHL. He hid his eye injury or else he would never have been called up to the Bruins. Fans yelled at him to go back South and pick cotton, although Willie is from New Brunswick. Times have changed for the better.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:58 pm

thebish wrote:don't know much about hockey... but my new brother-in-law used to play ice-hockey for Ratingen EC (Canada) - Terry Farrell...

he lost his right eye in a hockey-stick accident in the late 80s.. he has a glass eye now and is the Sports Editor on the Grande Prairie Herald Tribune...
You do seem to have some unfamiliarity with the game. I think you will find Ratingen is in Germany, not Canada, bish. Many Canadians have played in Europe if they could not, or could no longer, play at the highest level. While I have spent time in Alberta I never got as far north as Grande Prairie.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Man that earns living by handing out and receiving blows to head dies! :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:32 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote: He is better known as the first black player in the NHL. He hid his eye injury or else he would never have been called up to the Bruins. Fans yelled at him to go back South and pick cotton, although Willie is from New Brunswick. Times have changed for the better.
here he is in a sitcom recently-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YvM#t=393s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

at about 6:30 , with (aparantly) kevin weekes.

in jokes ftw

:/

might not show up in yr place as it looks taped off canadian tv..

this might work instead , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcC3bfbksP4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:42 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
seanworth wrote:Monty:

Actually a 75% share. Rogers and BCE each bought shares for about US O.5 billion, each getting 37.5%. The purchase included the Leafs, Raptors, FC Toronto, a minor league hockey affiliate, a majority share in the Air Canada Centre. and the Leafs/Raptors TV stations. Forbes rated the Raptors around $400 million and the Leafs around $330 million a couple of years ago, so it is not a bad deal.
That's makes more sense. The article I read was very vagues. Still, a lot of money.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:don't know much about hockey... but my new brother-in-law used to play ice-hockey for Ratingen EC (Canada) - Terry Farrell...

You do seem to have some unfamiliarity with the game. I think you will find Ratingen is in Germany, not Canada, bish. Many Canadians have played in Europe if they could not, or could no longer, play at the highest level. While I have spent time in Alberta I never got as far north as Grande Prairie.
that is indeed a puzzle!! I had no idea who he played for - so I looked him up - and he is listed as playing for Ratingen EC, though he told me that before he came to the UK to marry my sister last year, he had never been outside canada...

his player profile is here: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... p?pid=8867

there can't be two terry farrell hockey players of the same age can there?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:55 pm

thebish wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

that is indeed a puzzle!! I had no idea who he played for - so I looked him up - and he is listed as playing for Ratingen EC, though he told me that before he came to the UK to marry my sister last year, he had never been outside canada...

his player profile is here: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... p?pid=8867

there can't be two terry farrell hockey players of the same age can there?
Most likely the case. Even the other team listed is an American Team.