Trip down memory lane for the old people amongst us?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Trip down memory lane for the old people amongst us?

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:47 pm

The 1976 Argos catalogue has been scanned and uploaded. It all looks so dated! (mind, it was 4 years before i was born ;) ) Anyone owned anything in the catalogue?!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -live.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: Trip down memory lane for the old people amongst us?

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Nope...too young to remember.....just.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:55 pm

Errrr.

Yes (and still do) the white Matchbox car in picture 8 (although I didn't have it as part of a pen stand)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:23 pm

We couldn't afford anything from Argos :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Love how they have decided that everybody else has got the concept of what people want from a shop wrong, and that one day, everybody will come round to their way of having small pictures of everything in a book at the front, type in a code, sit down for a bit and wait for a bloke to find it in a warehouse. Brave. And persistent!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:We couldn't afford anything from Argos :(
c'moff it Brucie! we all had the springed chest expanders - that gave you a nasty nip if you got it wrong! (and the Bullworker) and the plastic matchbox loop-the-loop car set - and one of them there mini wirelesses (and we had stock car smashup)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:49 pm

thebish wrote:
c'moff it Brucie! we all had the springed chest expanders - that gave you a nasty nip if you got it wrong! (and the Bullworker) and the plastic matchbox loop-the-loop car set - and one of them there mini wirelesses (and we had stock car smashup)
... a wireless !?!?

We used to dream of 'aving a wireless.

We used to sit & look at a photo of a wireless and sing songs as if we had a real one.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:33 pm

bobo the clown wrote: ... a wireless !?!? We used to dream of 'aving a wireless.
We used to sit & look at a photo of a wireless and sing songs as if we had a real one.
The first wireless we had was run off an accumalator( early battery). This was a thick glass tank affair, with terminals and wooden carrying handles, that you got charged up at the ironmongers across the road and some sort of crocodile clip affair that clipped onto the wireless for heating the valves up. We were never allowed near it as my dad was master of ceremonies, cinematograph operator and chief magician in all such wonders. We were however, allowed to stagger across the road with it for recharging.

The pic show a similar one Image
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:54 pm

Ruddy 'eck! Are you originally from Yorkshire, bobo the clown?

Looking at that lot though, GG, made me think of what we've still got banging around the house and which came from that or earlier years. There's not a lot but what there is tends to be utilitarian. There's our 'best' china which cost me an absolute fortune when I bought it as a gift for my wife back in the very early '70s. My wrist watch (Waltham) hails from 1962 and still works a treat; likewise a little transistor radio (National) which my wife received as a present from her parents at about the same time. The kitchen radio (also National) we bought in 1972 when we moved into our new home is still going strong as is the belt driven turntable (Apan) purchased at the same time; similarly the little portable record player I gifted my wife some years before we married. The set of copper-bottomed pots and pans for which my wife saved up the necessary and then bought for her glory box are still doing sterling service after all these years. I'm sure that there are more that do not come immediately to mind.

Forget fashion folk! Buying quality might be a wee bit more expensive than doing otherwise but it certainly pays off in the long run.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:00 am

thebish wrote:
:D Had that car loop thing but doubt it came from Argos. Bought a bullworker off of one of my mates when I was about ninteen - it simply went from living in a box having been used once at his, to an identical existence at mine!

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:44 am

I got a Christmas card from Memory Lane yesterday. The envelope had a 19 and a half pence stamp on it.

:conf:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:56 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
:D Had that car loop thing but doubt it came from Argos. Bought a bullworker off of one of my mates when I was about ninteen - it simply went from living in a box having been used once at his, to an identical existence at mine!

mine didn't come DIRECT from argos!! all my toys (pretty much) came from a church bring-and-buy stall! Every boy of our generation (I reckon) had a bullworker at some point (and possibly the springs chest expander) - but I bet NONE of us (except maybe that keeny fit-machine Enfield!) actually used it more than once or twice!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:09 am

thebish wrote: mine didn't come DIRECT from argos!! all my toys (pretty much) came from a church bring-and-buy stall! Every boy of our generation (I reckon) had a bullworker at some point (and possibly the springs chest expander) - but I bet NONE of us (except maybe that keeny fit-machine Enfield!) actually used it more than once or twice!
Ours too. I do remember those spring chest expanders - they had an elasticity limit beyond which lay the point of absolute disaster. Piss funny when watching others come a cropper, not at all funny when oneself was getting the skin on one's chest forcibly pleated. Ouch!

Doubtlessy Hermes the Enfield had an entire routine worked out on his. ;)

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:21 am

I remember the days before shops, when you had to hand chip your own stone axe before nipping down the woods to hunt for squirrel.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:22 am

The Axman wrote:I remember the days before shops, when you had to hand chip your own stone axe before nipping down the woods to hunt for squirrel.
aye - and the squirrels were much bigger in those days...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:34 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote: mine didn't come DIRECT from argos!! all my toys (pretty much) came from a church bring-and-buy stall! Every boy of our generation (I reckon) had a bullworker at some point (and possibly the springs chest expander) - but I bet NONE of us (except maybe that keeny fit-machine Enfield!) actually used it more than once or twice!
Ours too. I do remember those spring chest expanders - they had an elasticity limit beyond which lay the point of absolute disaster. Piss funny when watching others come a cropper, not at all funny when oneself was getting the skin on one's chest forcibly pleated. Ouch!

Doubtlessy Hermes the Enfield had an entire routine worked out on his. ;)

I was the original 9 stone weakling when I was a teen. Now I'm a 12 1/2 stone weakling who can run away from trouble! :mrgreen:

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:04 pm

I had the netbird thing, Helicoptor on an arm, was upset due to one of the pieces being missing, it was found weeks later under the sofa......my dad had been playing with it before it was wrapped up and he lost the part then!
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:16 pm

I had the Evel Knievel bike thing. It was pretty good actually.

No Action Men or Stretch Armstrong on there but I also got the Six Million Dollar Man who could lift up the engine by pressing the button on his back.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:19 pm

malcd1 wrote:I had the Evel Knievel bike thing. It was pretty good actually.
No Action Men or Stretch Armstrong on there but I also got the Six Million Dollar Man who could lift up the engine by pressing the button on his back.
I had one of those too....and they were bloody good.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
malcd1 wrote:I had the Evel Knievel bike thing. It was pretty good actually.
I had one of those too....and they were bloody good.
Old fart. :wink:
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.