thebish's TW blood-o-swing-ometer

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: thebish's TW blood-o-swing-ometer

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Getting back on track with this. Booked in for next Thursday evening. *halo*

Next Monday I'm at Stanmore hospital for the interval study Clapton mentioned (a lot) earlier.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:23 pm

I should have given blood in June but my iron levels were too low. Since then I have been on iron tablets, had four blood tests and a camera down my throat. My iron levels are now back in the normal range but still slightly on the low side.

I think my problem started when they allowed men to donate three times a year. Obviously my body is struggling to replace the iron.

I'll have to seek advice if I can cut back to one or two a year. I don't want to retire as I know how important it is.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:39 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Getting back on track with this. Booked in for next Thursday evening. *halo*

Next Monday I'm at Stanmore hospital for the interval study Clapton mentioned (a lot) earlier.
I've still not had a confirmation email for Thursday :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:49 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

My last three donations have been at eight week intervals. Giving blood has never effected me in the slightest in any way until the last donation when I felt totally wiped out for 24hrs. Possibly too close an interval, especially for an old git like me, and I'll have another think after my next visit in mid November.

Bruce, I didn't get any acknowledgment email or even the usual paperwork in the post prior to my last visit, but I was able to check on-line that the appointment was fixed. Everything you need to know about your donation history here once you've registered:

https://donor.blood.co.uk/blooddonoronl ... ignIn.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:22 am

clapton is god wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

My last three donations have been at eight week intervals. Giving blood has never effected me in the slightest in any way until the last donation when I felt totally wiped out for 24hrs. Possibly too close an interval, especially for an old git like me, and I'll have another think after my next visit in mid November.

Bruce, I didn't get any acknowledgment email or even the usual paperwork in the post prior to my last visit, but I was able to check on-line that the appointment was fixed. Everything you need to know about your donation history here once you've registered:

https://donor.blood.co.uk/blooddonoronl ... ignIn.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've given blood as normal. Apparently I will now be allocated a donation interval of either 8, 12 or 16 weeks. Hoping for sixteen to be honest as 6 donations a year for two years is not a lot of recovery time.

Funnily enough I felt wiped out yesterday. Gave blood at 08:30 and had to go to bed by 10 p.m.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks for the link, Clapton. All sorted now. Dropped them a mail and they rang me straight back.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
clapton is god wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

I've given blood as normal. Apparently I will now be allocated a donation interval of either 8, 12 or 16 weeks. Hoping for sixteen to be honest as 6 donations a year for two years is not a lot of recovery time.

Funnily enough I felt wiped out yesterday. Gave blood at 08:30 and had to go to bed by 10 p.m.
That wasn't giving blood, that was just old age! ;) Slippers and Horlicks too?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 pm

^ you done it yet GG?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:20 pm

thebish wrote:^ you done it yet GG?
No. I was under the weight limit last time I checked - but only just - so think, given all the pies I've eaten recently I must be above it now, am turning into a right porker - i'll check again.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:52 pm

By the way, is it normal to be bloody ravenous afterwards? I've already had my dinner and now I'm about to have a proper big bowl of cereal. :?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:22 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:By the way, is it normal to be bloody ravenous afterwards? I've already had my dinner and now I'm about to have a proper big bowl of cereal. :?

Yes. Make sure you drink plenty of water so you don't dehydrate. Your fluid level should be back to normal in around 48 hours. Your iron levels will take longer so eat lots of iron rich foods.

And congratulations!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:15 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:By the way, is it normal to be bloody ravenous afterwards? I've already had my dinner and now I'm about to have a proper big bowl of cereal. :?

Yes. Make sure you drink plenty of water so you don't dehydrate. Your fluid level should be back to normal in around 48 hours. Your iron levels will take longer so eat lots of iron rich foods.

And congratulations!
Cheers, G. Hey, dead easy. Nothing to it. 8)

Apparently they're running desperately low on O -, if anyone one here falls into that group and feels that they'd like to help?! (I'm as common as shit O +)

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:57 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Apparently they're running desperately low on O -, if anyone one here falls into that group and feels that they'd like to help?! (I'm as common as shit O +)
That's my flavour, but I'm already booked in.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:43 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

And congratulations!
Cheers, G. Hey, dead easy. Nothing to it. 8)

Apparently they're running desperately low on O -, if anyone one here falls into that group and feels that they'd like to help?! (I'm as common as shit O +)

Marketing and spin. I'm O+ too.

O positive
As the most common blood type your blood is vital as the majority of the people in the UK receive it.

Other blood types
Your blood type is rare. As such it's vital you give blood as those few of you can't get it from the majority of the population.

I'm paraphrasing but you get the gist.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:57 am

I'm the common or garden O+, whilst my missus is the more exotic AB+

as you can see she can receive blood from everybody, but only gives to her own kind, which generally sums up her attitude to gifts, presents and largesse in general.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:03 pm

Got email to say I've not given blood in two years, terrible.

Off to do it next week.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I'm the common or garden O+, whilst my missus is the more exotic AB+

as you can see she can receive blood from everybody, but only gives to her own kind, which generally sums up her attitude to gifts, presents and largesse in general.
I don't know what blood type I am tbh I think I am A- (is that bad) but don't know. What are the actual affects of them putting the wrong type of blood into you.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:04 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I'm the common or garden O+, whilst my missus is the more exotic AB+

I don't know what blood type I am tbh I think I am A- (is that bad) but don't know. What are the actual affects of them putting the wrong type of blood into you.
Nothing wrong with being A negative or any other type. Getting the wrong type can be very very bad. So make sure they only give you O- or A-. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Just had an e-mail from the interval study group. They want me to donate every eight weeks for the next two years.
:|

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Ah but look at the plus side. By the time youve got 16 months in, you'll have given all the old stuff away and will be running on new!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.