thebish's TW blood-o-swing-ometer

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: thebish's TW blood-o-swing-ometer

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Ah but look at the plus side. By the time youve got 16 months in, you'll have given all the old stuff away and will be running on new!

I'm worried about my veins. Won't they collapse? :conf:

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:20 am

I thought I might have to drop out of the interval study after feeling shattered for 24hrs after my last donation, but no effects after yesterday so another appointment set for January.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:25 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Ah but look at the plus side. By the time youve got 16 months in, you'll have given all the old stuff away and will be running on new!

I'm worried about my veins. Won't they collapse? :conf:

they'll take it out of your groin... :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:26 am

clapton is god wrote:I thought I might have to drop out of the interval study after feeling shattered for 24hrs after my last donation, but no effects after yesterday so another appointment set for January.

Next one is December 9th. I'll decide from there whether I continue with 8 weeks or drop out. Is this your second one at 8 week intervals?

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:27 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
clapton is god wrote:I thought I might have to drop out of the interval study after feeling shattered for 24hrs after my last donation, but no effects after yesterday so another appointment set for January.

Next one is December 9th. I'll decide from there whether I continue with 8 weeks or drop out. Is this your second one at 8 week intervals?
I think it must be the third yesterday. A total of five in 2013. No wonder I'm feeling pale and wan.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:29 am

clapton is god wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

I think it must be the third yesterday. A total of five in 2013. No wonder I'm feeling pale and wan.

Oh! No wonder. :shock:

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:13 pm

100th donation made today. Lets see if they can squeeze another 25 out of me.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:23 pm

clapton is god wrote:100th donation made today. Lets see if they can squeeze another 25 out of me.

Congratulations.

I'm due again on Monday. 17th or 18th donation for me.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:46 pm

38th last night after not being able to donate due to being slightly anaemic.

The nurses have started to complain about scar tissue on both arms and saying I may have to give up soon. Have the nurses had any issues with scar tissue Clapton. Well done by the way.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:48 pm

malcd1 wrote:38th last night after not being able to donate due to being slightly anaemic.

The nurses have started to complain about scar tissue on both arms and saying I may have to give up soon. Have the nurses had any issues with scar tissue Clapton. Well done by the way.

This is my worry too. Do the veins recover or am I at risk of them collapsing entirely?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
malcd1 wrote:38th last night after not being able to donate due to being slightly anaemic.

This is my worry too. Do the veins recover or am I at risk of them collapsing entirely?
I'm not sure about them collapsing but she had to take a run up and thrust it in like she was fencing. Hurt a lot more than usual.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:52 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

it does sound indecently regular! and - scar-tissue??? blimey!

anyway - must tot up the totals again one day - I've been at least three times since I last logged a visit on here...

and - Clapton - you are indeed a god!! people who get to 100 donations should get an MBE or summat... seriously! :oyea:

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:41 pm

Never had any problem with the needle going in.... except that little test prick they do in your finger*. That bled like buggery once whilst I was laid back donating and the first I knew was a wet feeling as blood soaked into my shirt. Otherwise I have lovely big veins and am a quick bleeder!

* and for the first time ever today the nurse had to do that three times as the sample refused to sink in the requisite 15 seconds. It did on the third attempt though. Perhaps donating every 8wks is a bit much for this ageing body to keep up with.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:44 pm

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

it does sound indecently regular! and - scar-tissue??? blimey!

anyway - must tot up the totals again one day - I've been at least three times since I last logged a visit on here...

and - Clapton - you are indeed a god!! people who get to 100 donations should get an MBE or summat... seriously! :oyea:
The award is a meal for two at Lancashire County Cricket Club where I get presented with, I think, a whisky decanter, which is nice. I went for a meal at 75 too but they've stopped that now and you only get an invite for the 100 up.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:24 pm

That might be me done as a blood doner.

I went for my regular donation today and it got declined. The finger prick test blood drop failed to sink, which wasn't a surprise as it has only just sunk within the time limit on the last two visits. They moved on to a more extensive test which would show how low on iron I actually am. I was told it had to be above 135 but it came back as 120. Advised to see a doctor and taken off the register for 12 months :(

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:31 pm

clapton is god wrote:That might be me done as a blood doner.

I went for my regular donation today and it got declined. The finger prick test blood drop failed to sink, which wasn't a surprise as it has only just sunk within the time limit on the last two visits. They moved on to a more extensive test which would show how low on iron I actually am. I was told it had to be above 135 but it came back as 120. Advised to see a doctor and taken off the register for 12 months :(
i hope it's not a sign of anything worrying...

i went this week - and my thumb-drop sank like a stone - BUT they then couldn't find a vein big enough in either arm! first time this has happened... so I was sent home!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:35 pm

That's a shame, thebish, as I've never thought of you being a shrinking violet. ;)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:59 am

Last donation this morning for the interval study. However I have agreed to extend until next June so back again in November.

Not sure how this will work in with my Ironman training though.......

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:02 am

What 'interval' are you on, GtE? I was on 8wk intervals and it completely trashed my HG levels and even now, some 5 months (see my last comment above) after my GP corrected it with iron tablet bombs I am still feeling the effects. I think I'm done giving blood.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:10 am

clapton is god wrote:What 'interval' are you on, GtE? I was on 8wk intervals and it completely trashed my HG levels and even now, some 5 months (see my last comment above) after my GP corrected it with iron tablet bombs I am still feeling the effects. I think I'm done giving blood.

I'm 8 weeks too. Just finished 2 years.

Been largely okay to be honest. First 24 hours I'm tired but after that no issues.

Sorry to hear you can't give anymore but your health has to be first priority. :|