Games We Played As Children (only oldies need reply)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Games We Played As Children (only oldies need reply)

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Queuing up down Halliwell Road outside Wofendens' newspaper shop for the first edition of The Eagle comic. Gee, the excitement, terrified they'd run out before we got one. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Queuing up down Halliwell Road outside Wofendens' newspaper shop for the first edition of The Eagle comic. Gee, the excitement, terrified they'd run out before we got one. :wink:
Now you really are showing your age. You on life support yet? :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:40 pm

thebish wrote:
The Axman wrote:Sorry Bish, I hadn't seen you'd replied.

However, I contend that it is impossible because the forward facing spike cannot have entered his body about his lower back at about the same place as the backward facing spike seeing as their points haven't moved but are at least three feet apart... see what I mean?

ahh yes - you're right!! 8)

grisly set indeed!

what's he pushing him with here - an otter on a stick?? :conf:
A ramrod for his cannon I imagine - it was hard to enlist otters as belligerents.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Queuing up down Halliwell Road outside Wofendens' newspaper shop for the first edition of The Eagle comic. Gee, the excitement, terrified they'd run out before we got one. :wink:
We subscribed so it was delivered weekly with the paper. My dad always grabbed it first. Dan Dare with his sidekick Algy(?) from Wigan against the Mekon, Luck of the Legion, Harris Tweed, PC 49 and Riders of the Range. Great stuff. Not sure I ever got the first edition though. :(
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
We subscribed so it was delivered weekly with the paper. My dad always grabbed it first. Dan Dare with his sidekick Algy(?) from Wigan against the Mekon, Luck of the Legion, Harris Tweed, PC 49 and Riders of the Range. Great stuff. Not sure I ever got the first edition though. :(
Digby. And don't forget the femal interest, Professor Peabody. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:17 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Digby. And don't forget the femal interest, Professor Peabody. :wink:
Quite right - Algy was Biggles' second best pal (after Ginger) and, come to think of it, Algy Pug was Rubert Bear's second best friend after Bill Badger.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:47 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:Not technically a game, but nothing matches the smell of a freshly opened packet of Panini stickers.

My Grandad told me Panini meant small loaf. Which confused a 10 year old who just associated it with football..
Good shout.

Think I only ever filled one....either 84 or 85.
Are you talking about a grandad or a sticker book???
Both.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:44 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:This sort of thing - I can't remember whether or not they had player info on the back though. :?

They did indeed. Appearances and goals by season, in addition to DOB, place of birth etc. The chewing gum was rock hard, impossible to form into bubbles and tasted only of the card that it had no doubt been resting against in the pack for months. So many memories!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:52 am

Burnden Paddock wrote: They did indeed. Appearances and goals by season, in addition to DOB, place of birth etc. The chewing gum was rock hard, impossible to form into bubbles and tasted only of the card that it had no doubt been resting against in the pack for months. So many memories!
Cheers BP - I thought they did, and yes, absolutely, it was impossible to distinguish between the 'bubbly' and your Peter Withe - Aston Villa card :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:08 am

Butting in a bit as i'm not as old as you lot ;) (though i did used to play marbles, leapfrog and collect football stickers...) as a teacher its quite interesting to watch the crazes sweeping the playground. Something can be HUGELY important for one month and you have kids coming to you in tears cos 'so and so took my ....' then the next month its completely forgotten and theres a new craze.

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:35 am

Gooner Girl wrote:Butting in a bit as i'm not as old as you lot ;) (though i did used to play marbles, leapfrog and collect football stickers...) as a teacher its quite interesting to watch the crazes sweeping the playground. Something can be HUGELY important for one month and you have kids coming to you in tears cos 'so and so took my ....' then the next month its completely forgotten and theres a new craze.
Surely GG it's all technology related these days:
"Please Miss, someone nicked my i-Pad"
"Please Miss, someone half-inched my X-box"
"Please Miss, someone nicked my N-Dubz Blu-ray"
"Please Miss, someone stole my mobility scooter"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:37 am

The Axman wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Butting in a bit as i'm not as old as you lot ;) (though i did used to play marbles, leapfrog and collect football stickers...) as a teacher its quite interesting to watch the crazes sweeping the playground. Something can be HUGELY important for one month and you have kids coming to you in tears cos 'so and so took my ....' then the next month its completely forgotten and theres a new craze.
I teach primary aged kids and they aren't allowed to bring their electronic toys in (thank god...)

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:43 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
The Axman wrote:

I teach primary aged kids and they aren't allowed to bring their electronic toys in (thank god...)
Ahhhh. Sandpits and violent tantrums. Much better. :wink:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:52 am

The Axman wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
The Axman wrote:

Arguments over who won the football match and moans about "so and so won't let me play with them" 8)

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:02 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
The Axman wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
The Axman wrote:

Arguments over who won the football match and moans about "so and so won't let me play with them" 8)
My missus, who is a teacher, gets them to play quick cricket as early as possible (reception onwards). Apparently they've found it cuts right down on arguments, although I have no idea why that should be so.
:?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:10 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
I hope you crack their heads together and starve them of their lunch for being wusses?!

It's for their own good - they'll thank you one day ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:30 pm

The Axman wrote:During the quiet contemplative weeks late in the summer holidays (after we’d worn ourselves out with weeks of Karting, British Bulldogging, and Dam Building) we would construct make believe football leagues and spend hours playing games (usually with a pack of cards to determine scores in matches. Aces were one, jacks, kings and queens were nil) before drawing up carefully laid out (hand drawn of course, way before computers were dreamt of) league tables showing the state of play.
As well as the usual suspects (Man U, Wolves, etc.) we’d put in a few exotic teams like Sporting White, Cliftonville, and Grasshoppers.

I typed a big ol' reply to this the other day but it didn't work.

I was a cool kid. Older ones among you will remember Howzat! Well I had my dads, but wasn't really that into cricket, so I took the score die and used that to generate the scores of my very own FA Cup (a normal die would have worked just as fine, but the only one I had was stuck in a bastard bubble in frustration, and I fecking hated that game). If the score was drawn it went to penalties, which threw up the odd, impossible 4-0. I don't think this troubled me at the time. Anyway, I was (perhaps still am) a massive football geek, so I'd have this 256 team tournament that would be won by VPS Vaasa or some such. Furthest Bolton ever got was losing on penalties in the semi-final to Boavista. I cheated three times and they lost every one.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Prufrock wrote:Anyway, I was (perhaps still am) a massive football geek, so I'd have this 256 team tournament that would be won by VPS Vaasa or some such.
kinnel, there's dedication....that's 255 games you'll have had to simulate! Must've taken hours. :)
Businesswoman of the year.

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Prufrock wrote:
The Axman wrote:During the quiet contemplative weeks late in the summer holidays (after we’d worn ourselves out with weeks of Karting, British Bulldogging, and Dam Building) we would construct make believe football leagues and spend hours playing games (usually with a pack of cards to determine scores in matches. Aces were one, jacks, kings and queens were nil) before drawing up carefully laid out (hand drawn of course, way before computers were dreamt of) league tables showing the state of play.
As well as the usual suspects (Man U, Wolves, etc.) we’d put in a few exotic teams like Sporting White, Cliftonville, and Grasshoppers.

I typed a big ol' reply to this the other day but it didn't work.

I was a cool kid. Older ones among you will remember Howzat! Well I had my dads, but wasn't really that into cricket, so I took the score die and used that to generate the scores of my very own FA Cup (a normal die would have worked just as fine, but the only one I had was stuck in a bastard bubble in frustration, and I fecking hated that game). If the score was drawn it went to penalties, which threw up the odd, impossible 4-0. I don't think this troubled me at the time. Anyway, I was (perhaps still am) a massive football geek, so I'd have this 256 team tournament that would be won by VPS Vaasa or some such. Furthest Bolton ever got was losing on penalties in the semi-final to Boavista. I cheated three times and they lost every one.
Yeah, we'd cheat for our favourite teams. I was always declaring Buxton matches as 'Abandoned' just because they'd lost, but then in the 'replay' they'd get stuffed again and still slide down the League.

We tended to do league matches and the leagues grew with up to three divisions so that teams got relegated and promoted. We only ever did one Cup competition (I think we had 128 teams, but it might have been 64) and I remember that the final was Celtic 10 v 10 Stockport County with Stockport winning the replay on penalties after another draw.

It was just after that when one of the players introduced 'blow football' which he'd got for his birthday, but I was never as keen after that: I didn't like all the spit that got blown out of the plastic tubes and the football looked like a chocolate. [PS we were far too poor for Subuteo. One of the older lads who'd left school at 14 to be a car mechanic had it, but he wouldn't let us anywhere near it, so I never even got to flick one of the little men :( ]
Last edited by The Axman on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Prufrock wrote: I was a cool kid. Older ones among you will remember Howzat! Well I had my dads, but wasn't really that into cricket, so I took the score die and used that to generate the scores of my very own FA Cup (a normal die would have worked just as fine, but the only one I had was stuck in a bastard bubble in frustration, and I fecking hated that game).

we used to play Howzat - except we did it by rolling a pencil with marked sides.. or maybe it was two pencils - can't remember 100% how it worked now!! I think there were two pencils!