Tennis, anyone.....?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Will Andy Murray ever win a Grand Slam?

He will never ever win, lot's of runner ups though.
31%
He should at least get 1, surely!!!
31%
He will come good, winning a few!
23%
He will have bagel set wins many a time!
No votes
He should do doubles, at least then he has a chance!
15%

Total votes: 39

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:43 pm

He deserves to win it for the way he just came back from two break points down alone. Absolutely outstanding stuff.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Absolute masterclass from Murray so far.
Well that's jinxed it now! :wink:
I'm feeling confident!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:03 pm

And his Doris is a proper honey :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:20 pm

Funny old game tennis sometimes. Easily that could have been different had Raonic played the tie breakers differently.

Weird thing is had Raonic won that 3rd set he was looking hard to break.

Ultimately as when Murray has lost to likes of Federer and Djokovic the difference was purely how the higher ranked player played in the big moments.

Those tie breaks were absolutely insane from Murray. He just went up a gear each time.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:27 pm

How far round that club do you have to fcking walk, to find the bar?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Funny old game tennis sometimes. Easily that could have been different had Raonic played the tie breakers differently.

Ultimately as when Murray has lost to likes of Federer and Djokovic the difference was purely how the higher ranked player played in the big moments.

Those tie breaks were absolutely insane from Murray. He just went up a gear each time.
Raonic lost only one service game in the match. He's gonna have to work on those tie-breakers though, where Murray completely outclassed him. Still a Canadian won the Boys' singles so not a complete loss for the true north....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Funny old game tennis sometimes. Easily that could have been different had Raonic played the tie breakers differently.

Raonic lost only one service game in the match. He's gonna have to work on those tie-breakers though, where Murray completely outclassed him. Still a Canadian won the Boys' singles so not a complete loss for the true north....
Think his tiebreak record against Murray before today was 5-1. Not sure tiebreakers per se are his issue, just in a final he was beaten by a brilliant match player.

If you take the raw talent of both, especially on grass I reckon there is little in it, Raonic may even edge it, but Murray is probably the best matchplayer around right now.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Think his tiebreak record against Murray before today was 5-1. Not sure tiebreakers per se are his issue, just in a final he was beaten by a brilliant match player.

If you take the raw talent of both, especially on grass I reckon there is little in it, Raonic may even edge it, but Murray is probably the best matchplayer around right now.
I'm not sure what you mean by matchplayer. He was beaten by a more experienced big match player who was certainly better on the day. His time will come no doubt.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:23 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by matchplayer. He was beaten by a more experienced big match player who was certainly better on the day. His time will come no doubt.
Yeah, I just mean someone who plays the big points in big matches especially well.

That is all. I agree Raonic will get more chances. Think he needs to come to net a little less and be a little more choosy when he does.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:05 am

BBC comments sections are always absolutely ace after things like this....all the below come from the BBC story about Murray winning yesterday....

The best one first.......
Lot of people on here saying is Murray Britains greatest ever sportsman. be real.
When he scores over 50 goals for his country like Wayne Roney, or runs 100 metres in under 9 secs like Linford Cristie, or pots a golf ball from miles away like Nick Faldo then come back and we will talk
Never rated Murray and now he suddenly knows how to win. I don't buy it. Tennis to me has always been about snobbery like F1, Athletics....etc...infact most Sports men and women now are snobs. Can't stand all the rich and powerful who sit and watch this rubbish sport.
when do we get a welsh tennis player murray all self
He is what he is because his mum was there in all the time he wasn't what we have known him to become. We could do with more parenting like this in the uk :) really happy for them all today :).
Congratulations Andy, if hitting a ball over a net is added to the extensive list of challenges I face in my day to day life, you'll be the first person I call.
He's Scottish. Pathetic how the Beeb (and others) suddenly co-opt Scots/Welsh into a quasi English-British identity when the need arises.
BBC what are you thinking about a second tier at best sport , and you make it a headline wow ? Great for Murray but how can this possibly be a headline ! South of England thing tennis and cricket pretty sad for deal sports !
Build up now on BBC for the olympics, they suggest it's for animals ?? anyway that will be just under 10 seconds of fantastic entertainment.
Murray not playing in the Davis Cup next week

A selfish act by a selfish individual. His commitment to the cause is embarrassing, only playing when it suits him. Bore off Andy

GB in Davis Cup? May as well be England
It's a shame Sir Cliff Richard didn't get an invite to the BBC studio this year. He, like Federer, is a gentleman unlike the vast majority of today's players.
Suggest that Andy Murray should be Prime Minister not Mrs May
There's no doubting murrays achievement. Can only beat who's in front of you, he's earn this success (though undeniably assisted by British funding). There remain however serious doubts about equal pay issue, the climate of fear around commenting on reasonable evidence, and the wider message this sends to society - also, more broadly, prioritising political correctness ahead of actual correctness

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:14 pm

Four years ago BWFCi had this to say about Andy Murray. Now Andy is the world number one, Insano must be happy for the first time in a while (based on his closing remark). :wink:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
He's reached what, three finals? And each time he's lost to a better player. At the us open he beat Nadal in the semi but had nowt left for the final.

Bottom line is that for a five set tournament he's not quite good enough to blow the better players away and have the energy to play well when needed.

Murray has to play at his peak to get through the last few rounds whereas, Federer, Djokovic, Nadal etc are good enough to be able to drop down a gear every so often.

IMO.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jakerbeef wrote:Murray will win a few before his time is up.
Wimbledon won't be one of them though.
Win a few what? If you mean grand slams then I don't think he will.

He was ahead of Djokovic a few years back but look at the work Novak has put in to get to another level entirely.

To win Murray needs to get past Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. I'm not sure he has the right mentality to keep going and playing consistently well and just wait for his chance and then take it.

Will be happy to be proven wrong though!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:33 pm

Chuffed for him. Well deserved too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Four years ago BWFCi had this to say about Andy Murray. Now Andy is the world number one, Insano must be happy for the first time in a while (based on his closing remark). :wink:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
He's reached what, three finals? And each time he's lost to a better player. At the us open he beat Nadal in the semi but had nowt left for the final.

Bottom line is that for a five set tournament he's not quite good enough to blow the better players away and have the energy to play well when needed.

Murray has to play at his peak to get through the last few rounds whereas, Federer, Djokovic, Nadal etc are good enough to be able to drop down a gear every so often.

IMO.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Jakerbeef wrote:Murray will win a few before his time is up.
Wimbledon won't be one of them though.
Win a few what? If you mean grand slams then I don't think he will.

He was ahead of Djokovic a few years back but look at the work Novak has put in to get to another level entirely.

To win Murray needs to get past Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. I'm not sure he has the right mentality to keep going and playing consistently well and just wait for his chance and then take it.

Will be happy to be proven wrong though!

You know I love Andy don't you? I'm delighted for him. He's moved up levels that I'm not sure many expected since those comments you've quoted.

IMO the greatest ever British sportsperson. Though I know that is controversial. But it is my opinion so stick it.... :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:15 pm

Boosh, that was proper. Good lad. Big year ahead. Reckon he could win all four. Fire seems to have dimmed in Djokovic since he won the French and none of the challengers stepped up to consistently be in the mix.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:39 am

Prufrock wrote:Boosh, that was proper. Good lad. Big year ahead. Reckon he could win all four. Fire seems to have dimmed in Djokovic since he won the French and none of the challengers stepped up to consistently be in the mix.
But the fire is building up in Raonic.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:31 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Boosh, that was proper. Good lad. Big year ahead. Reckon he could win all four. Fire seems to have dimmed in Djokovic since he won the French and none of the challengers stepped up to consistently be in the mix.
Go Montenegro :)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Quite right 'n'all! I shall be wearing my Montenegro T-Shirt that day, paraphrasing the sweaty himself.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:42 pm

You'd be sweaty if you ran about as much as he does!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:49 pm

Enoch wrote:You'd be sweaty if you ran about as much as he does!
I'm sweaty just thinking about walking to the bar, from the bar stool. C'est la vie.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Born in Podgorica but I believe he lives in Monte Carlo now. :D