Tennis, anyone.....?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Will Andy Murray ever win a Grand Slam?

He will never ever win, lot's of runner ups though.
31%
He should at least get 1, surely!!!
31%
He will come good, winning a few!
23%
He will have bagel set wins many a time!
No votes
He should do doubles, at least then he has a chance!
15%

Total votes: 39

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:07 pm

He would equal Sampras' Wimbledon wins.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:35 pm

Rod Laver remains the only man to do the calendar year Grand Slam in the Open Era. That clinches GOAT status for me.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Serena Williams would beat Laver
Sto ut Serviam

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:03 am

She'd beat you. And you'd love it!

Back on Murray. I know a lot of people really dislike him, I can't be the only one who actively likes him? In his interview afterwards they asked him something like 'It must have been hard for your parents watching that?' and he replied with 'I don't care. It was harder for me'. Brilliant :lmfao: I don't even care if he is a genuinely miserable bastard. That's what Britain should be about :D.

He was shit hot at times today, again. He'll have to play at that level, and some, on Sunday, but I really hope (certainly rather than expect) he can do it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:26 am

I've always been confused by the flak Murray gets. I can just about understand the misery-guts stuff as he does come across as a bit dour (though he does wear his heart on his sleeve during the matches).

The bottler and 'just not good enough' slights though are just false. He's beaten the top 3 on numerous occasions and really, really should have beaten Djokovic in the Aussie semi-final earlier this year. He played as good as I've ever seen the other 3 play. Check out the highlights on youtube, the level of tennis matches the great Federer/Nadal final. It came down to a 30-or-so shot rally where Djokovic managed to pull off a ridiculous winner to save a break-point.

He just lacks the clinical edge when he's faced them in slam finals, where they have the edge in experience and self-belief.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:40 am

jmjhb wrote:Rod Laver remains the only man to do the calendar year Grand Slam in the Open Era. That clinches GOAT status for me.
Also one of two to do it in the amateur era.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:41 am

Jakerbeef wrote:I've always been confused by the flak Murray gets. I can just about understand the misery-guts stuff as he does come across as a bit dour (though he does wear his heart on his sleeve during the matches).

The bottler and 'just not good enough' slights though are just false. He's beaten the top 3 on numerous occasions and really, really should have beaten Djokovic in the Aussie semi-final earlier this year. He played as good as I've ever seen the other 3 play. Check out the highlights on youtube, the level of tennis matches the great Federer/Nadal final. It came down to a 30-or-so shot rally where Djokovic managed to pull off a ridiculous winner to save a break-point.

He just lacks the clinical edge when he's faced them in slam finals, where they have the edge in experience and self-belief.
Thing is he hasn't to this point been not quite good enough to beat a Federer or Djokovic or Nadal consistently in a 5 sets match. He has the odd time but not enough to have won anything. In fact he's never beaten Federer in a 5 set match. Which currently the 'not quite good enough' tag would fit. Not a slight on Murray, he's truly unlucky to be around in an era of supermen.....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:57 am

He's a great player and deserves to be recognised as such. I cant understand why he gets any stick. He's the first great male British tennis player in my lifetime. At this rate I'll be well into my 80s before another one comes along. Lets enjoy having him.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:07 pm

I'm for just saying good luck and well done for putting on a fantastic show. All dependant of course on him not mentioning Scotland. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Why? He is Scottish, and British. You'd never expect a Southerner not to support you as 'English' only on condition you never mentioned the North!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:Why? He is Scottish, and British. You'd never expect a Southerner not to support you as 'English' only on condition you never mentioned the North!
Down boy. Mild joke. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:34 pm

I know TD, don't you worry :D.

But, many aren't. Idontgetit.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:17 pm

If you're fortunate enough to be drawn out of the AELTC ballot for tickets on the day of the women's final, is it not a bit rude to not stay on for the men's doubles final? The place is two thirds empty - at best! :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Better quality tennis too! The women's final was atrocious!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Really? I didn't see any of it - got home just as it had finished. After listening to the Williams sisters' dad this morning making out that winning was a mere formality I was really hoping for an upset. Soooo fecking arrogant and disrespectful.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Really? I didn't see any of it - got home just as it had finished. After listening to the Williams sisters' dad this morning making out that winning was a mere formality I was really hoping for an upset. Soooo fecking arrogant and disrespectful.
Like father like daughter. I cannot stand them.

Irritate the bejesus out of me.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:47 pm

jmjhb wrote:Rod Laver remains the only man to do the calendar year Grand Slam in the Open Era. That clinches GOAT status for me.
But that can also be a product of the level of competition in that year, of course...
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:40 pm

Jonny Marray becomes the first Brit for 76 years to win Wimbledon doubles :)

Fantastic story, considering Marray and partner Nielsen were a wildcard entry and had never won a tournament together before.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:56 pm

jmjhb wrote:Jonny Marray becomes the first Brit for 76 years to win Wimbledon doubles :)

Fantastic story, considering Marray and partner Nielsen were a wildcard entry and had never won a tournament together before.
Ahem, first to win Male doubles. You're forgetting the victorious John Lloyd/Wendy Turnbull triumph in the mixed. How could you :wink:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:15 pm

Good point. Andy Murray's brother Jamie actually won the mixed doubles in 2007 too!