Tennis, anyone.....?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Will Andy Murray ever win a Grand Slam?

He will never ever win, lot's of runner ups though.
31%
He should at least get 1, surely!!!
31%
He will come good, winning a few!
23%
He will have bagel set wins many a time!
No votes
He should do doubles, at least then he has a chance!
15%

Total votes: 39

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:32 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:23 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 pm
Brian Jacks. No way would Murray beat him. Even your cycling fellas wouldn't stand a chance :oyea:
I wager even an injured Murray would beat him in a three setter!
Aye, but what about kayaking and everything else? 1 trick pony that Murray ;)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:44 pm

Golden eras are so long in attaining and so very brief in enjoying. At one time, during the eighties, we had the very best of middle distance runners, Steve Ovett, Steve Cram, Sebastian Coe etc ruling the roost; now it's "who?" ...and Catherine Johnson Thompson and co are in the acendency. Grab fame whilst you can, it's very short lived. At least Sir Andrew Barron Murray, O.B.E was well rewarded for his efforts. A knighthood and a bronze statue at Wimbledon testify to that.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:54 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:32 pm
Enoch wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Brian Jacks. No way would Murray beat him. Even your cycling fellas wouldn't stand a chance :oyea:
I seem to remember that obnoxious squash player was half decent?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:18 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:13 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:43 pm
Not sure about that even on merit (that they eclipse Murray rather than that they are impressive) but surely any cycling achievements carry a pretty huge asterix (at least until a fair bit of time has passed)?
Dare I... :lol:
Well those cyclists do like to Getafix.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:32 am

Enoch wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:54 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Don't remember the squash player. I vaguely remember Kevin keegan hair though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:53 am

malcd1 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:25 pm
Nobody can convince me that a scrawny kid from Dunblane winning Wimbledon doesn’t eclipse virtually anything else in our modern sporting history.

Murray had every obstacle possible. British cycling has had huge resources thrown at it in the past few decades. British tennis....hmmm....

As the best British tennis player ever, possibly (open era certainly). The best British tennis player for a number of generations, undoubtedly. However, he is the fourth best of his generation. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are so far ahead of him they are out of sight.

Elsewhere, you have the worlds best sportsmen / sportswomen who have achieved as much if not more than Murray.
We're talking British sportspeople here. And I've outlined why I think Murray's achievements eclipses anyone else in the past 30/40 years. Its just my view is all. I've heard loads try to make cases for others, but none have ever convinced me.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:53 am
malcd1 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Nobody can convince me that a scrawny kid from Dunblane winning Wimbledon doesn’t eclipse virtually anything else in our modern sporting history.

Murray had every obstacle possible. British cycling has had huge resources thrown at it in the past few decades. British tennis....hmmm....

As the best British tennis player ever, possibly (open era certainly). The best British tennis player for a number of generations, undoubtedly. However, he is the fourth best of his generation. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are so far ahead of him they are out of sight.

Elsewhere, you have the worlds best sportsmen / sportswomen who have achieved as much if not more than Murray.
We're talking British sportspeople here. And I've outlined why I think Murray's achievements eclipses anyone else in the past 30/40 years. Its just my view is all. I've heard loads try to make cases for others, but none have ever convinced me.

All opinions. He has excelled in a sport that we have been terrible in for years. I look at his standing in the world compared to other sportsmen / women and with exception of a short spell a few years ago, has been the fourth best. Others have been the best in Britain AND the world.

He has been exceptional certainly. I personally think there are others that have done as good if not better when looking on the world stage (and while Murray has been playing).
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:18 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:13 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:43 pm
Not sure about that even on merit (that they eclipse Murray rather than that they are impressive) but surely any cycling achievements carry a pretty huge asterix (at least until a fair bit of time has passed)?
Dare I... :lol:
Well those cyclists do like to Getafix.
Ah, I know tennis folk like Netflix.... :|

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:32 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:53 am
malcd1 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

All opinions. He has excelled in a sport that we have been terrible in for years. I look at his standing in the world compared to other sportsmen / women and with exception of a short spell a few years ago, has been the fourth best. Others have been the best in Britain AND the world.

He has been exceptional certainly. I personally think there are others that have done as good if not better when looking on the world stage (and while Murray has been playing).
But he reached world number 1 in the era of (almost certainly) the greatest tennis players in history.

I think that in itself is remarkable.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:49 pm

He has achieved remarkable things. I’d put Froome and Cavendish above him though. They’ve not only eclipsed previous British achievements, they’ve been the outstanding riders of their generation.
Cavendish has won 30 TDF stages. The next highest sprinter of ALL TIME has won 22. He’s in a league of his own in terms of cycling history. He’s won road and track world championships, he’s won Milan Remo. There’s nothing really left for him to win.
Froome has finished 9 grand tours since 2013 - he’s won 6 of them, and been on the podium in the others. Again, his record puts him as undoubtably the best stage racer of his generation, and up among the very best of all time.

Both have utterly dominated their competition, while Murray has held his own in his era among 3 other great players, though his record puts him a distant 4th when comparing with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

We’re all going to be naturally biased towards the sports we follow and that’s the beauty of the debate. It’s interesting seeing other people’s views on this.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Also, although I’m not his biggest fan I’d have to put Farah up there. He’s again dominated the 5 and 10000 over a long period of time.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:00 pm

If it's straight-up domination of the sport Ronnie has to be right up there. I'm not a huge snooker fan myself but he's been the best, comfortably, for about as long as I can remember.

Lewis' achievements are insane as well. Schumacher's records, which looked untouchable now either broken or doable.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:07 pm

By that token, if the conversation is about the greatest British sportsman of all time, Joe Davis would need consideration. 14 consecutive world snooker championships, 15 in total, plus 4 world billiard championships.

...and then there's Phil Taylor.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:25 pm

I’d never heard of joe Davis, but I’ve looked him up and that’s some achievement!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Gary Ellis v Graeme Wilson would be hard to beat. Almost as good as Fisher v Kasparov.

Murray, pah!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:54 pm

...and then there's me. Fourteen years consecutive Monopoly Champion, not just in my family, street, college, and wider friendship group, but gaijin ex-pat Japanese residents 1980-1984 also.
I had to give up eventually, the ego strain was too much.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:09 pm

jimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:25 pm
I’d never heard of joe Davis, but I’ve looked him up and that’s some achievement!
His brother, Fred, was as good or better. Not as consistent, but wilfully more spectacular.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Enoch wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Jonah Barrington? He WAS obnoxious!

Anyway, best British sportsman how can Sir Steve not have been mentioned yet?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:07 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:57 pm
Enoch wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Jonah Barrington? He WAS obnoxious!

Anyway, best British sportsman how can Sir Steve not have been mentioned yet?
That's the fella.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:36 pm

Not the world's greatest tennis fan and no authority is for sure, but Rafa Nadal v Nick Kirgios tonight was a really fantastic match and great entertainment. Nadal won in the end, but didn't have it all is own way. Really enjoyed that.