Tennis, anyone.....?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Will Andy Murray ever win a Grand Slam?

He will never ever win, lot's of runner ups though.
31%
He should at least get 1, surely!!!
31%
He will come good, winning a few!
23%
He will have bagel set wins many a time!
No votes
He should do doubles, at least then he has a chance!
15%

Total votes: 39

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:15 pm

Bloody hell. That was tense! Sensational achievement at any age, but at 18 and in only her second grand slam, that is ridiculous! Well done, Emma!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:15 pm

Good lass! What a star she is. Great tennis!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:40 pm

Amazing. That first set was insane, Fernandez was her equal and more for parts of it, but Emma just applied so much pressure and then continued in that vein. Even when there was a bit of a wobble in the second she looked like the only person in the world it wasn't bothering. Ice cold.

Chapeau Emma. Chapeau Leyla. Feels like a rivalry for the next decade in tennis.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:44 pm

Incredible stuff! Just really off the scale. I salute Emma.
And Leyla.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:33 am

Meant to just keep a check on it initially, , but ended up listening and reading the text on Five Live from start to finish. Scintillating stuff and what nerve and composure by an eighteen year old. Magnificent battle and well done both. All too often Brits are "nearly" competitors; Emma never felt like she wasn't a total winner. Surely a future Queen of the tennis scene. Go Girl... :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:42 am

Absolutely superb game ain't watched tennis in a while it got boring with all the power serving and few rallies.
Just hope the lass keeps a level head going forward.
Little aside, was happy to see the smirks blown off Fernandez and her mother the sister looks and acts a right piece too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:15 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:42 am
Absolutely superb game ain't watched tennis in a while it got boring with all the power serving and few rallies.
Just hope the lass keeps a level head going forward.
Little aside, was happy to see the smirks blown off Fernandez and her mother the sister looks and acts a right piece too.
She’s 19 so for me was fine. I did find her family a bit ‘much’ but wondered if that was the reserved British in me. I don’t like having such a demonstrative box in a tennis match as it’s basically two individuals and you can be encouraging respectfully without acting so over the top. But different cultures and all that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:14 pm

The best of the best. Nadal 2 sets down in the final, comes back to win. Up to 21, ahead of Federer and Djokovic.

Arguably for me the greatest sportsman of all time, never mind tennis player. Unbelievable.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:14 pm
The best of the best. Nadal 2 sets down in the final, comes back to win. Up to 21, ahead of Federer and Djokovic.

Arguably for me the greatest sportsman of all time, never mind tennis player. Unbelievable.
You’d find millions to have a row with about tennis player let alone owt else.

Hard to pick those three apart. All absolutely on another planet in so many ways. How have their bodies kept together for one?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:31 pm

Be very hard to choose between the three of them. If they never won another thing they've all done enough.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:28 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:14 pm

You’d find millions to have a row with about tennis player let alone owt else.

Hard to pick those three apart. All absolutely on another planet in so many ways. How have their bodies kept together for one?
Yeah, I think you can make a strong case for any one of the three being the greatest tennis player of all time. But Rafa is #1 for me.

1) Of the three, he's the only one who hasn't had a spell to rack up titles without at least one of the other two being in their prime to rival him. By the time Rafa won his first non-French Open major, Federer had 12 slams. Djokovic rattled up titles in the 10s when Federer and Nadal missed huge periods with injury. That's not to knock either of those achievements as they won them at rates never seen before, but given we're talking about narrow margins between the three greatest of all time, I think it's relevant. And shown by the fact that Nadal was won 11 of his 21 against either D or F, whereas for D it's 8/20, and F only 4 of 20.

2) He's obviously the greatest clay court player of all time, which is often used to show he's not as rounded as the other two, but that cuts both ways and their numbers are increased by there being two hard court slams. If you take out their "weakest" hard court slam, then Nadal would be on 19, D 17 and F 15.

3) Obviously hypothetical but for me peak Nadal beats peak F and peak D. The 2008 Wimbledon final, beating the greatest grass court player of all time in his absolute pomp is one of the greatest sporting achievements of all time.

Vamos!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:33 pm

Not sure where Federer is right now, but I can't see beyond Rafa to lift the Wimbledon trophy. Djokovic is obviously the man rival, but I reckon Rafa. The man is an absolute machine and the ultimate complete tennis player. Nothing seems to faze him and and some of his returns are beyond description. Our own players are all good, some exceptional ( like Heather Watson, and young Emma who'll be back when she's worked on her game) and Jamie Murray is class in the doubles. Not sure about Norrie going much further, but good luck to him. Quite a few young players on the way up and the serve is king again. Broady could hardly lay a racket on Aussie De Minaur ...sorry, just watching the maestro of bad manners, Kyrgious at it again with the referee. What a waste of talent...anyway, on with the motley... :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:44 pm

Just flicked Wimbledon on and there's been a proper, petulant hullabaloo between a couple of the men's competitors. Do we know what it's about?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:44 pm
Just flicked Wimbledon on and there's been a proper, petulant hullabaloo between a couple of the men's competitors. Do we know what it's about?
Kyriogos game last night? He's a lot of attitude for a bloke who's never got past the QF stage in a grand slam tournament. Bags of ability but shit personality. He was badgering the umpire throughout, making a fuss and his opponent rose to it.

Great win for Norrie today. Heather Watson once again flattering to deceive.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:26 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:54 pm

Great win for Norrie today. Heather Watson once again flattering to deceive.
Norrie ace, because the all-round standard is very high. Heather, she's young like Emma Raducanu, and maybe needs a little more strength to her game, but there's time for her. Keep an eye on the two French girls, particularly Garcia, they're both good.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:42 pm

Watson's 30 TD. Praftically a veteran in tennis. She's always seemed to lack a killer instinct when I've seen her. Today she just choked.

Norrie could be good for a semi final spot but I cant see him overcoming Djokovic or Nadal
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:00 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:42 pm
Watson's 30 TD. Praftically a veteran in tennis. She's always seemed to lack a killer instinct when I've seen her. Today she just choked.

Norrie could be good for a semi final spot but I cant see him overcoming Djokovic or Nadal
30 for a female tennis player is the equivalent of a 40 year old footballer.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:00 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Serena Williams is 40 and Venus 42. Martina Navratilova won a doubles crown just short of fifty. Not exactly teenagers.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:18 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:00 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Serena Williams is 40 and Venus 42. Martina Navratilova won a doubles crown just short of fifty. Not exactly teenagers.
Sure but you’ve listed three of the literal all time greats. Even Serena is now struggling against younger opponents. The woman’s game generally is favoured by youth. 30 is pretty old given many win at 19-22 bracket.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:44 pm

Wouldn't totally surprise me if neither Rafa or Djokavic got to win this year. Neither seem quite on top of their games or the opposition is fiercer. Rafa in particular seemed really edgy yesterday and Djokavic is a set down already. More than a few surprises this year.

Edit? and trailing 5-2 in the second set. :shock: