Unpaid Internships

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Unpaid Internships

Post by Salford Trotter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:36 pm

My daughter has just been offered a 10 week unpaid internship at an Advertising Agency in London. Now, whilst she is very grateful for the opportunity and I know unpaid internships are common place, it just got me thinking how unfair it is given the fact it's in London with an inflated cost of living. I didn't think it was too much to ask for at least the minimum wage as there is no guarantee there will be a job at the end of it, slave labour if you ask me. Oh well the Bank of Mum and Dad to the rescue once again!
The Voice Of Reason

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Unpaid Internships

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm not sure it's strictly legal these days ... I'm sure mummy can give more info.

However, I'd be stunned if competent companies can't find a way round it. That all said & done, in truth, it's unlikely to be exactly 'slave labour' as ... unless she's doing truly bog standard stuff ... interns can take as much energy to direct & supervise than they provide. The real benefit comes when this can be used to show that she has some experience in the chosen career and will have references and it ought to put her toward the front when looking for employment in due course.

I sympathise as I have one looking now & it ain't easy, but it's a matter of playing the long game I'm afraid.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:56 pm

We have a couple of kids at work who get paid in the evenings off us, and slog all day at their (unpaid) internships. What they describe to me that they are doing during the day sounds remarkably just like that which I would refer to in such pejorative terms as "work" or indeed "a job".

F*cking disgraceful what this country is becoming.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:18 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I'm not sure it's strictly legal these days ... I'm sure mummy can give more info.

However, I'd be stunned if competent companies can't find a way round it. That all said & done, in truth, it's unlikely to be exactly 'slave labour' as ... unless she's doing truly bog standard stuff ... interns can take as much energy to direct & supervise than they provide. The real benefit comes when this can be used to show that she has some experience in the chosen career and will have references and it ought to put her toward the front when looking for employment in due course.

I sympathise as I have one looking now & it ain't easy, but it's a matter of playing the long game I'm afraid.
From the little she has been told so far the plan is that she'll shadow and support an Account Manager who has been groomed for a promotion. So there is a possibility if she does well that at the end of the unpaid period she could get offered a permanent role. As you pointed out Bobo the real hurdle in getting a permanent job is getting the relevant experience so if nothing else this will give her that.
The Voice Of Reason

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:22 pm

10 weeks is a long time, and I'd be wary about the 'opportunity for a permanent job' as I can usually smell bullshit when something like that is said. An unpaid placement in my opinion is a good thing and if you've no experience on the CV for the kind of thing you want to do, it's the breakthrough, I did it but only for 2 weeks and not 10. It did help.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:33 pm

By and large they are an absolute disgrace.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:21 pm

Most company's theses days are taking the piss

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:10 am

It's a catch 22, without experience you've no chance getting a job which most would consider a 'skilled' position so those job seekers are become increasingly desperate. My daughter graduated with a 2:1 in English Literature from Sheffield Uni, a good degree by any measure from a redbrick Uni but she may as well studied Swahili Literature at Atherton Uni for what its been worth. Maybe that's an over reaction but it's a real frustration that I'm sure many parents of recently graduated students are experiencing.
Last edited by Salford Trotter on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Voice Of Reason

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:54 am

Not sure it's illegal. On their list of things that sound good to say you'll sort without actually doing.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

RealLifeHobbit
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by RealLifeHobbit » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:07 am

Competition for jobs is so fierce now that the more experience in a commercial environment one has, the more of an advantage they have when competing for a job.

I've done quite a few unpaid internships, which had to be supported by paid work too, but they all helped me to get the job I have now (a one year paid placement) so I would definitely recommend any sort of experience.

Also, companies are much likely to hire someone with a proven track record, especially if it's with the company in question; so if, after 10 weeks, your daughter has impressed, it is quite possible she may get a permanent role. If not, at least she has 10 weeks of quality experience on her CV.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:11 am

RealLifeHobbit wrote:Competition for jobs is so fierce now that the more experience in a commercial environment one has, the more of an advantage they have when competing for a job.
Indeed. Far more so than a degree in creative basket weaving. Think on, parents ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:18 am

It depends... if something is packaged as a pure 'shadowing' scheme without set hours and responsibilities, then the 'employer' can say that the intern isn't a 'worker' for the purposes of minimum wage leglisation.

Generally though, what's going on is illegal but the law isn't enforced. There are some 'employers' who have loopholes such as charities and, funnily enough, MPs!

Peversely enough, the battle to stay outside the minimum wage legislation is sometimes part of the reason absolutely nothing is paid.

When I first graduated, I did a week unpaid in London, followed by 3 months at £1k a month, before I was moved up to a graduate consultant's salary. This was my foray into strategy consulting as opposed to law - interesting stuff, but ultimately it took me less than a year to work out that I needed to stop hiding from competing in the legal profession I had trained for.

It's difficult to know what to think - my take on it is probably that there is an unhealthy dynamic of a lack of mutual respect if there is more than one unpaid week. Having said that, I'm sure a lot of these internships would not happen if they had to pay minimum wage, so what's better - that an opportunity, albeit one that is really tough to make work, is there, or that there is no opportunity at all?

I would also say that in industries like advertising and fashion, where these things are most commonplace, long-term internships drag starting salaries down - to my friends who spent weeks surviving on expenses and handouts, it suddenly feels like a lot to be paid the £18-20k which is very common in those industries - in London, FFS!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

RealLifeHobbit
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by RealLifeHobbit » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:20 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
RealLifeHobbit wrote:Competition for jobs is so fierce now that the more experience in a commercial environment one has, the more of an advantage they have when competing for a job.
Indeed. Far more so than a degree in creative basket weaving. Think on, parents ;)
What with the tuition fee hike as well, I don't see how degrees like that can be supported much longer.

I started out doing English, 5 weeks in realised I wouldn't get employed after graduation, so switched to Management... Much less enjoyable, but much more practical!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm pretty sure these aren't legal. They seem unfair too, I'm sure the well off can afford to support their kids for 10 weeks while they go and do these unpaid placements down in London. Unless you already live down there I don't see how else someone could expect to survive.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:33 pm

My daughter is currently doing Social Work at Uni and I've already told my son that if he wants to do a vocational degree I'll support him through it, but if he thinks he's going on the pish for 3 years doing Media Studies at some Uni that was a bus shelter until 2 years ago, it's not going to happen.

My niece has been having interviews in the last month for places next year. The queues for vocational courses have been enormous. Those for purely academic courses have been like tumbleweed apparently.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:51 pm

There was a Panorama about this a while ago. There are similar schemes for unpaid work (or work you have to pay for) in the houses of parliament and fashion houses.

10 weeks isn't too bad really if it's decent experience with possible career at the end. Good job that bank is still open :)
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Point is though, it's all well and good if you can afford to work for ten weeks without pay. Plenty can't. Means big opportunities are only open to people with the independant means to pay for them.

Should, IMO, be limits on the length, and type of work, you can do on an unpaid business.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:Point is though, it's all well and good if you can afford to work for ten weeks without pay. Plenty can't. Means big opportunities are only open to people with the independant means to pay for them.

Should, IMO, be limits on the length, and type of work, you can do on an unpaid business.
That's you off of the short list, straight off.

Independent!!!! :whack:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:There was a Panorama about this a while ago. There are similar schemes for unpaid work (or work you have to pay for) in the houses of parliament and fashion houses.

10 weeks isn't too bad really if it's decent experience with possible career at the end. Good job that bank is still open :)
Its a pity BBCi player doesn't go back that far.

Thanks to all who have contributed, these useful pointers are great though I doubt my daughter will be brave enough to ask for a penny never mind a living wage over the next couple of months. If anyone knows of a cheap room going spare in north London then pm me :wink:
The Voice Of Reason

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:24 pm

I couldn't afford to do unpaid spelling lessons as a kid, I had my shifts in't mill to do! Discrimination.