Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:13 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:07 pm
Is there anything more pointless for online ads for something I've just bought online :conf: What are they hoping to acheive?

Buy some trainers from shop X. Suddenly the trainers are follwing me around the internet. Oh aye, I'd better grow an extra pair of feet then so I can get some more.
Bought a shirt off of Liam Gallagher's lot. Now the c*nts follow me around with the message "You've left something in your basket" whilst busily flashing their latest shirts at me.

Err, no I haven't, but niiiiice tryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, Sunshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.
Now I know AT's way around it I feel pretty green about it all.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Does it matter?
Every time I buy something I know all the adds next to the site I'm on will trawl up the same shit. Just ignore it. You know you bought it, the store knows you bought it, what's it matter that an algorithm knows you bought it too???
Even if you hadn't bought it, there's still be an advert there for something...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:21 pm

That's why I'm neither angry not happy about it :conf:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:21 pm
Ahhh, yep. I see what you mean. Sorry. (In my defence, I'm suffering severe man-flu).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Just been googling lemsip vapes for you but no luck!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:57 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:23 pm
Just been googling lemsip vapes for you but no luck!
:|
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:07 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Ahhh, yep. I see what you mean. Sorry. (In my defence, I'm suffering severe man-flu).
Vick on the soles of your feet at night, it works, you;ll get a good kip, also for heavy colds :wink:

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:50 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Ahhh, yep. I see what you mean. Sorry. (In my defence, I'm suffering severe man-flu and flatulence).

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 am

Just been told off for referring to someone as being a Red Indian.

OK, so when the 4uck did that one cease to be then? And on who's say-so exactly? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:29 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 am

OK, so when the 4uck did that one cease to be then? And on who's say-so exactly? :conf:
It's been native american for ages now Gunga Din :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Last 3 decades...if not longer.....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:44 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

It wasn't the coloured totty that told you off was it?!! :D

Native American was the term. That's now being replaced by 'First generation American'
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Well I don't know which decade you're living in, Big Chief Pessimist, but type 'Red Indian' into Google Image Search and see what you get. You won't even get a 'Did you mean Native American?' 'Showing Search Results for First Generation American' or any of that malarkey. :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:10 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Well I don't know which decade you're living in, Big Chief Pessimist, but type 'Red Indian' into Google Image Search and see what you get. You won't even get a 'Did you mean Native American?' 'Showing Search Results for First Generation American' or any of that malarkey. :)
Not sure, that typing a term into google is a good or even passable measure of whether its socially acceptable or not. In fact given some of the images I've seen on there, things that I'm quite certain wouldn't pass muster at any of the dinner parties I'm invited to (perhaps I have invites to the wrong ones), I think google is probably a terrible barometer for such things!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 am

Not sure, that typing a term into google is a good or even passable measure of whether its socially acceptable or not. In fact given some of the images I've seen on there, things that I'm quite certain wouldn't pass muster at any of the dinner parties I'm invited to (perhaps I have invites to the wrong ones), I think google is probably a terrible barometer for such things!
Well, next time you're looking to break the dinner party ice, as it were, have this one on me;

In Globe, Arizona, it's illegal to play cards in the street against a Native American. :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Might be as well to remember that racism started more with the dinner party set, officers club etc,.."touch of the tar brush, old chap" etc, etc, rather than the working class folk who mixed and mingled with the locals. Just a point. I agree with Bruce in as much as "Who said so" as my life isn't ruled by outraged Samantha Snowflake etc, on Twitter. Thank you for listening.... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:53 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Might be as well to remember that racism started more with the dinner party set, officers club etc,.."touch of the tar brush, old chap" etc, etc, rather than the working class folk who mixed and mingled with the locals. Just a point. I agree with Bruce in as much as "Who said so" as my life isn't ruled by outraged Samantha Snowflake etc, on Twitter. Thank you for listening.... :wink:
Wow. So it didn't start with empire building, colonialism and the slave trade then?

As for the second bit, before any of us existed it was perfectly ok in many social circles for a man to beat his wife. Perfectly ok. When it stopped being "ok" who "said so"?

Nobody is going to arrest you for saying words and phrases that have become socially generally not acceptable. But you know, there is a reason they are no longer acceptable in general.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:57 am

To be fair, given they're neither Red nor Indian I can see why they'd be keen to move on.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:53 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Wow. So it didn't start with empire building, colonialism and the slave trade then?
As for the second bit, before any of us existed it was perfectly ok in many social circles for a man to beat his wife. Perfectly ok. When it stopped being "ok" who "said so"?
Nobody is going to arrest you for saying words and phrases that have become socially generally not acceptable. But you know, there is a reason they are no longer acceptable in general.
Okay, don't know why I'm bothering, but I'll take it, smile and make the point that we can assume we're talking in general of your normal average family class of intelligence and behaviour and that wife-beating isn't and never was a social skill even amongst the shirt-sleeves element amongst us, or even acceptable anywhere except amongst disturbed thinkers.In short, it's never been acceptable, ever, unless we throw in cruelty as the norm. Have you ever read Anne Bronte's "Tennant of Wildfell Hall" from back in 1830 or so...you might find that approaching two hundred years or so ago, it was shunned and decried as unacceptable by normal thinkers. ( Not that there aren''t still examples of it surfacing amongst some disturbed elements, granted) So...

Empire building and colonialism: Plantations - one of the home grounds of slavery (totally abolished in this country 193 years ago, (Read Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park") although slavery itself from time immemorial was nothing more than bullying and torture even rape and murder by people with their heads on back to front - were the domains of the upper and upper middle class rich folk, not the working class. Let's start with royalty. Your common empire building soldier could hardly afford to get by in life or afford a council allotment and a whippet back in Blighty, never mind slaves and plantations and the bulk of them didn't want to be empire builders anyway. Not that they had any choice, in the main, soldiering was just a job-option, those above gave all the orders, cut to your parliaments, politicians etc....Great Britain, plantations? Tell it to the soldiers, coal miners, shipbuilders, pottery workers, mill workers and all your 7-30 to 5-30 everday worker ants.

Time, even for ancients like me, has moved on. I have three children, three step-childen,seven gandchildren and three great grandchildren. What happened in the past was the fault of none of us, not even me or my forefathers. I have just lived 78 years in a world that changed as it would, grandually and differently,( and for me, not for the better in many ways) but very little of it was decided over dinner parties or the need for people making decisions for others based on their outraged opinions. Nice talking to you. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:57 am
To be fair, given they're neither Red nor Indian I can see why they'd be keen to move on.
Strangely enough they're neither First Generation nor American either, but if it satisfies the Insane of this world who am I to argue?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください