Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:53 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:10 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:27 pm
Tomorrow I'm off for my usual week in the Caribbean sun. Normally, I'd be happy but this corona virus stuff makes one a little nervous about travel. Being nearly as old as Tango I'm in the at risk category, but I've had a good innings. I even saw us win the FA Cup (on tv). :wink:

You've got cases in Montreal, Monty. You might be better off in the Caribbean.
I thought there was one passing through to Vancouver, and caught in Toronto. The other was from Mont Laurier, considered "near" Montreal, but is actually over 200 kms away, though I believe he has been transfered to a Montreal hospital. So not yet an epidemic. Dominican Republic also has two cases, unfortunately a Spanish and an Italian tourists from the area I'm going to. The DR has now banned 4000 Italian tourists on pre-booked cheap holidays from entry, which should improve things on the beaches.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 14, 2020 11:59 am

Disappointed really, but it was to be expected. Highlight of my year for the past few years has been the Green Man Festival. Just received the inevitable email to say that this year's is cancelled.

Now then, do I claim my money back or let it slide over to next year? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu May 14, 2020 12:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:59 am
Disappointed really, but it was to be expected. Highlight of my year for the past few years has been the Green Man Festival. Just received the inevitable email to say that this year's is cancelled.

Money back, too many uncertainties in the near future, that includes the next 12 months. No intention of even looking at holidays overseas for at least the next 2 years, need a new bed but with 6-8 weeks delivery worry if the company selling/making the thing will not just go bump after taking the money, it can wait.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 14, 2020 4:19 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:20 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Money back, too many uncertainties in the near future, that includes the next 12 months. No intention of even looking at holidays overseas for at least the next 2 years, need a new bed but with 6-8 weeks delivery worry if the company selling/making the thing will not just go bump after taking the money, it can wait.
I'd agree that booking a holiday or travel now is futile. I think I'd go with a bed though. Not very likely (or any more likely than normal) that a bed making firm will go bust!

Is it actually the bed you need or just a new mattress? Some of those branded roll-up memory foam ones are excellent (beware some are awful too).

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 14, 2020 5:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:19 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I'd agree that booking a holiday or travel now is futile. I think I'd go with a bed though. Not very likely (or any more likely than normal) that a bed making firm will go bust!

Is it actually the bed you need or just a new mattress? Some of those branded roll-up memory foam ones are excellent (beware some are awful too).
Well, I've already paid for my tickets and they go like hot cakes, so I think I'll let them slide over until next year. If next year's doesn't run then I'll take the refund then.

Hoboh - A cracking piece of advice once given to me was to always buy the very best mattress that you can afford. After all, the idea is that you spend around 30% of your life resting soundly upon it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 14, 2020 5:12 pm

Also on something like ticketing for a festival of everyone takes their refund now there's s chance they're fecked and that's the end of that. Depends if you can afford to take the risk.

We paid (what seemed to me) daft money for one of those Eve mattresses (rolled up in a box) but it is belting tbf.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 14, 2020 5:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:19 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Well, I've already paid for my tickets and they go like hot cakes, so I think I'll let them slide over until next year. If next year's doesn't run then I'll take the refund then.

Hoboh - A cracking piece of advice once given to me was to always buy the very best mattress that you can afford. After all, the idea is that you spend around 30% of your life resting soundly upon it.
I’d do the same. But then I’d buy a season ticket for next season if they were on sale even knowing I’d not be able to go barring a vaccine miracle.

Agree re mattress. People buy beds but really most of the time their bed frame is completely fine and it’s just the mattress that’s needed.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu May 14, 2020 5:55 pm

Got told to change mattress/bed at least 5 yrs, it's coming up to that so... we are looking at the mattress the Premier inn use always found them excellent.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 14, 2020 6:09 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:55 pm
Got told to change mattress/bed at least 5 yrs, it's coming up to that so... we are looking at the mattress the Premier inn use always found them excellent.
Seriously don’t. Just don’t. Pillow top mattresses are very comfortable...for a while. Typically within 2 years you will want rid.

The premier inn replace theirs every year or so. They’re fine for that.

If you weigh about 60 kilos you might get away with it. Otherwise - I’d get something else.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:49 am

Take every opportunity I can to hate the red bastards of course, but feck me the lad Rashford is a good kid, isn't he?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:09 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:49 am
Take every opportunity I can to hate the red bastards of course, but feck me the lad Rashford is a good kid, isn't he?
Aye. It's bloody annoying!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:09 am
Prufrock wrote:

I see there’s been a u turn on it which is great. Last summer our church did some regular hot meals in the church building for some kids earmarked by teachers from a school in the poorer part of town who are obviously eligible for free school meals normally. I’m sure we weren’t the only place doing so but who knows if that will be allowed this summer. This should help plug the gap a little. Fair play to Rashford for highlighting the issue.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:48 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:58 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:09 am
Prufrock wrote:

I see there’s been a u turn on it which is great. Last summer our church did some regular hot meals in the church building for some kids earmarked by teachers from a school in the poorer part of town who are obviously eligible for free school meals normally. I’m sure we weren’t the only place doing so but who knows if that will be allowed this summer. This should help plug the gap a little. Fair play to Rashford for highlighting the issue.

Yet, still there are arseholes on twitter slagging him off. The lad has pretty much single handedly and determinedly forced the government into a u turn on this. Fair bloody play to him!

As an aside, I hate Twitter! Well, I suppose I actually hate the utter keyboard warrior wankers that it gives a platform to!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:53 pm

^ I thought he'd surpassed himself by telling Katie Hopkins to eff off on Twitter, but alas that's a Marcus Rashforrd. Hard not to agree with the sentiment though!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:31 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if he's got many management/PR involved, he probably has, but his response to Therese Coffey's ridiculous response re: water was a masterclass.

Good on him. I'm glad he's won and I can go back to hating him :D

Terrible politics if nothing else. £87m I read it'll cost. Relative to the figures corona is going to cost that had to be a case of chuck it on the tab.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:59 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:48 pm
The lad has pretty much single handedly and determinedly forced the government into a u turn on this. Fair bloody play to him!
Well, that's my understanding, and if that's the case then every bloody credit, lad.

However, on Twitter I've also seen Tweets from Labour claiming all the credit.

Are we about to see Keir Starmer in full Chelsea kit and shinnies?

The Labour Party
@UKLabour

We did it! Thank you to everyone who campaigned for #HolidaysWithoutHunger

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:59 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:48 pm
The lad has pretty much single handedly and determinedly forced the government into a u turn on this. Fair bloody play to him!
Well, that's my understanding, and if that's the case then every bloody credit, lad.

However, on Twitter I've also seen Tweets from Labour claiming all the credit.

Are we about to see Keir Starmer in full Chelsea kit and shinnies?

The Labour Party
@UKLabour

We did it! Thank you to everyone who campaigned for #HolidaysWithoutHunger
I mean Labour were campaigning for it for a while.

But obviously Johnson ignored it because he'd rather kids go hungry than give in to an opposition demand. And only changed tack because Rashford managed to build such huge and widespread public opinion that he had no choice - though he managed to even lie about that and pretend that he hadn't even heard of Rashford's campaign till that day - even though his office had released 2 statements on it the previous two days.

Imagine having a government so awful that they have to be shamed into not letting kids go hungry. Its truly abysmal times.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:33 pm

Imagine having a government so awful that they have to be shamed into not letting kids go hungry. Its truly abysmal times.
Disgusting, yes, but that's been happening forever. We didn't have school meals because our parents couldn't afford them. What were our alternatives when your dad was a labourer and you mother worked in the mill, a meat and potato pie cut in three and a slice of bread? There were none.My dad was at Trafford Park lunching off a Spam or Salmon paste sandwich meanwhile. Life didn't start in 2000.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Disgusting, yes, but that's been happening forever. We didn't have school meals because our parents couldn't afford them. What were our alternatives when your dad was a labourer and you mother worked in the mill, a meat and potato pie cut in three and a slice of bread? There were none.My dad was at Trafford Park lunching off a Spam or Salmon paste sandwich meanwhile. Life didn't start in 2000.
We're in 2020 - the PM is spending almost a million quid to redecorate his plane Austin Powers style. And the housing secretary just managed to do a dodgy deal to save a Tory donor £50M. As Pru says the cost for free school meals continuing over the summer was chickenfeed in reality. It was a non argument when the government are happy to bail out certain businesses at a far greater cost.

We need to get our priorities straight - sadly I can see precious little sign of that happening.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:56 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We're in 2020 - the PM is spending almost a million quid to redecorate his plane Austin Powers style. And the housing secretary just managed to do a dodgy deal to save a Tory donor £50M. As Pru says the cost for free school meals continuing over the summer was chickenfeed in reality. It was a non argument when the government are happy to bail out certain businesses at a far greater cost.

We need to get our priorities straight - sadly I can see precious little sign of that happening.
Yep, like looking after our own first before spending billions on overseas aid you mean?