Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

Post by The Axman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:12 pm

A new lad who started work over a month ago now. He had promise but he was always a bit slow in the mornings – he had to be really pushed to get anything done, and then a couple of weeks ago he came in with an entirely new attitude – lively and full of beans. One of his co-workers asked him why he was such a different person, and he replied [paraphrased of course] “Tried this new wonder drink called coffee, and I don’t get maudlin, don’t spew up half the night, don’t wander home singing songs past midnight, and don’t have headaches in the morning. Never going back on the booze”. :pissed:
We had a random drug test today, and he’s just been sacked. I’m presuming he didn’t test positive for coffee; hey-ho.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Re: Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:29 pm

They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:32 pm

I couldn't possibly comment :shock: . but i believe so. :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:12 am

We don't have a 'I'm a bit upset' thread so I'll put this in here. For about the past year this guy's turned up in reception at our place asking if we've any jobs going? It's quite a common occurrence for people to do this, but this one guy's been particularly persistent to a point of jokes (such as he'll be coming on the Christmas do despite him not working for us, and him having a better attendance record than so and so) being made. Anyway, we had a job going on the factory floor a couple of weeks ago so gave him an interview, for which he turned up in his best bib and tucker, keen to make an impression.

Though none of us doubted that he'd have been a good worker we were unsure as to whether he'd be able to handle the level banter on the factory floor, which can be pretty merciless, and the job was given to someone else.

We've just found out that he's hung himself. :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:16 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:We don't have a 'I'm a bit upset' thread so I'll put this in here. For about the past year this guy's turned up in reception at our place asking if we've any jobs going? It's quite a common occurrence for people to do this, but this one guy's been particularly persistent to a point of jokes (such as he'll be coming on the Christmas do despite him not working for us, and him having a better attendance record than so and so) being made. Anyway, we had a job going on the factory floor a couple of weeks ago so gave him an interview, for which he turned up in his best bib and tucker, keen to make an impression.

Though none of us doubted that he'd have been a good worker we were unsure as to whether he'd be able to handle the level banter on the factory floor, which can be pretty merciless, and the job was given to someone else.

:( that's horrible... I know it's just words and won't really help - but don't be tempted to beat yourself up about it.. suicide is never a simple matter of not getting a job...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:34 am

I know you're right, Phil. What he didn't mention, but we've just found out, is that he has a six year old daughter.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:16 pm

What a heartbreaking story
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:34 pm

That's so sad Bruce :(

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:59 pm

That's awful Bruce.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Bloody hell that's terrible Bruce :(

Had a pretty 5hitty week myself last week with something similar. A fairly close mate of mine had been due to get married this year. He'd been single for donkeys years and after a city break in Moscow one year he started looking into dating Russian women through an online agency. Despite our initial jokes & scepticism he met a lovely lady and over the last 3 years they had both travelled backwards & forwards many times before deciding eventually to get married later on this year.

In the 20 odd years I'd known him I dont think I'd ever seen him as happy as he was, then bang out of the blue he had a massive heart attack the weekend before last and died a couple of days later without ever coming round. He was only in his 50s. Absolutely knocked me for 6. God knows how his fiancee and family are coping right now :cry:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I know you're right, Phil. What he didn't mention, but we've just found out, is that he has a six year old daughter.
Commiserations. Despite what anyone says, that sort of thing torments the mind for a fair while. Tragic.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Very distressing this thread.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Oh, there have been tears in the office today, Tango. We'd all got to know him. Thebish is right in what he says, the guy must've had all sorts going on in the background, but the thought that you might just have been one of the people that doled out the straw that finally broke the guy is really, really hard to live with just now.

RIP Tony.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:40 pm

Condolences to Tony's and his family. Truly awful when someone decides the best thing that can happen, is that they're not here. :-(

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Bloody hell that's terrible Bruce :(

Had a pretty 5hitty week myself last week with something similar. A fairly close mate of mine had been due to get married this year. He'd been single for donkeys years and after a city break in Moscow one year he started looking into dating Russian women through an online agency. Despite our initial jokes & scepticism he met a lovely lady and over the last 3 years they had both travelled backwards & forwards many times before deciding eventually to get married later on this year.

In the 20 odd years I'd known him I dont think I'd ever seen him as happy as he was, then bang out of the blue he had a massive heart attack the weekend before last and died a couple of days later without ever coming round. He was only in his 50s. Absolutely knocked me for 6. God knows how his fiancee and family are coping right now :cry:
Oh Harry. How sad to lose a friend so suddenly - and how awful for his fiancee. :(

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:We don't have a 'I'm a bit upset' thread so I'll put this in here. For about the past year this guy's turned up in reception at our place asking if we've any jobs going? It's quite a common occurrence for people to do this, but this one guy's been particularly persistent to a point of jokes (such as he'll be coming on the Christmas do despite him not working for us, and him having a better attendance record than so and so) being made. Anyway, we had a job going on the factory floor a couple of weeks ago so gave him an interview, for which he turned up in his best bib and tucker, keen to make an impression.

was it this guy, Bruce?

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/nor ... ed_father/

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:10 am

It's not, Bish, no. This has all happened within the past few weeks.

Harry - my sincere condolences. I've lost a couple of friends myself, and the question that no-one will ever be able to answer remains - why do terrible things happen to good people whilst shitbags prosper? :(

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:20 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:It's not, Bish, no. This has all happened within the past few weeks.

Harry - my sincere condolences. I've lost a couple of friends myself, and the question that no-one will ever be able to answer remains - why do terrible things happen to good people whilst shitbags prosper? :(
the answer is all too simple, I'm afraid, but doesn't help anyone deal with the consequences...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:49 am

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:It's not, Bish, no. This has all happened within the past few weeks.

the answer is all too simple, I'm afraid, but doesn't help anyone deal with the consequences...
Well, if it's because 'The Lord moves in mysterious ways' then perhaps we'd just better move on.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:52 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:

Well, if it's because 'The Lord moves in mysterious ways' then perhaps we'd just better move on.
no - it's not.

much simpler... the distribution of terrible events is pretty much random... that's it.