The Gardening Bed

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Gardening Bed

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Thems funny South American jobbies though. Taste a bit funny as well...
What, Anyas?
I love them, I do. Very tasty, but I can understand why some people don't like them.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:27 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Thems funny South American jobbies though. Taste a bit funny as well...
What, Anyas?
I love them, I do. Very tasty, but I can understand why some people don't like them.
They're ok for a change, but I prefer a charlotte/maris piper/king edward depending what I'm doing with them.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
What, Anyas?
They're ok for a change, but I prefer a charlotte/maris piper/king edward depending what I'm doing with them.
I misunderstood. I thought we were talking new potatoes. Anyas don't do anything for me except as new potatoes, either hot with pies or cold in salads.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
What, Anyas?
I misunderstood. I thought we were talking new potatoes. Anyas don't do anything for me except as new potatoes, either hot with pies or cold in salads.
Sorry. We were. I kinda started generalising. But for news I prefer a charlotte :)

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:46 am

Well, the run of the mill breed(s) sold here tend to Monty's image. Although they can come in some rather strange shapes the general trend is to spherical.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:43 am

Look. If all potatoes can in the same shape then there could've been no That's Life, and all our childhood Sunday evenings would have been all the poorer.

May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:19 pm

I have a fair few of these to remove...

I have to say - this looks like sheer genius - I am gonna try it!

http://www.familyhandyman.com/landscapi ... s/view-all

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:25 pm

Just weighed our apple crop from this year. A little over 150kg. I'm not sure I'll have enough storage space. I might have to make some cider. Anybody got any good recipes for making fruit ciders?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
What, Anyas?
I love em as well but they are not the most practical and go off super fast.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Just weighed our apple crop from this year. A little over 150kg. I'm not sure I'll have enough storage space. I might have to make some cider. Anybody got any good recipes for making fruit ciders?
Can't help you, Spotty. 150kg? Blimey that's more than two of me! Ave your orchard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:41 am

Dujon wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Just weighed our apple crop from this year. A little over 150kg. I'm not sure I'll have enough storage space. I might have to make some cider. Anybody got any good recipes for making fruit ciders?
Can't help you, Spotty. 150kg? Blimey that's more than two of me! Ave your orchard.
Not me :oops:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:55 am

LK will be your man :twisted:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 am

Dujon wrote:
No - three trees in our garden, and three trees in the neighbour's (who is elderly and has given up on gardening) and another four trees on the other side. It's the neighbour on the other side who has the apple store (a wooden shed behind his chickens) - we have a kind of communal arrangement where fruit is concerned, and we share the stuff that you don't have to do a lot with apart from pick it (apples, blackberries, sloes). We aren't sure what all the varieties are exactly, but they're all late croppers - We have two cooker apple trees which gives nearly half the crop, and the other eight trees are all eaters. The tastiest one is a sweet red apple on a ballerina tree in my garden, the rest being mostly crisp green types.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 am

Prufrock wrote:
LK will be your man :twisted:
:lol: I know.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:08 am

do what my dad used to do - wrap them all carefully and store them in a dark corner of the garage in boxes - then chuck 'em all away in the Spring when you discover that they have all rotted into maggot-filled mush...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:11 am

Yes - firstly you'll need to pick a selection of fruits from both the hedgerow and from the supermarket fruit bit - go and make cider with them. Then, with all those lovely apples you've saved embark on producing a veritable cornucopia of apple pies, crumbles, strudels, sauces, cakes, tarts, chutneys, jams and so on. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:17 am

thebish wrote:
do what my dad used to do - wrap them all carefully and store them in a dark corner of the garage in boxes - then chuck 'em all away in the Spring when you discover that they have all rotted into maggot-filled mush...
8) I like it.

but, however, my neighbour is taking the ones we've not got room for to a farmer's market at Bakewell this weekend... (we've never done this before, if we sell enough we might even cover the expense of the stall! :) )
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:41 am

thebish wrote:
I never met your father but it's like we knew each other.

Ours normally get moved once the clocks go back.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:09 am

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
I never met your father but it's like we knew each other.

Ours normally get moved once the clocks go back.
:D

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:21 pm

We've been collecting apples this morning too. Got quite a few and they are huge. Dual purpose cookers/eaters. Might try making an apple pie...