The Gardening Bed

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Gardening Bed

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:50 pm

thebish wrote::lol:

(am gonna nick that!)
:D Do, I did. My sniggers got me a few raised eyebrows.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:35 pm

I planted my first ever roses over the winter - including a couple of climbers..

I noticed one of them has started to bloom this week and it is breathtakingly beautiful... If shakespeare had seen this one, his sonnet might have gone differently!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:32 pm

thebish wrote:I planted my first ever roses over the winter - including a couple of climbers..

I noticed one of them has started to bloom this week and it is breathtakingly beautiful... If shakespeare had seen this one, his sonnet might have gone differently!

Make and model required, please.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:54 am

Very nice looking bloom, the bish. Could it be one of these?

http://www.justourpictures.com/roses/taboo2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whilst I rather like roses - as does my wife, the gardener - other than the brief season of flowering they are ugly; after pruning they are dead sticks stuck in the ground awaiting resurrection day. Then again she, the gardener, enjoys agapanthus and bromiliads and tends them as they were precious gems. Each to their own I suppose. If the spelling of the last two mentioned is wrong then put it down to my ignorance. :smile:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:41 am

It's called "Temptress" - I just looked it up and it seems it has "semi double" blooms (which I hadn't realised) - so the flowers won't stay in this classic unfurling rose shape for long - so I will only photograph them when they are young - I find that double-blooms look tatty and messy and are better enjoyed at a distance!

http://www.countrygardenroses.co.uk/pro ... =Temptress

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:55 am

stop spamming, dude. That isn't how you work a forum.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:17 pm

There are many things I'd change if I had the ability, not least failing to run Owen Coyl over a week before the Stoke game. One somewhat more prosaic case would be the day I and Mrs Clown decided "Ivy, now that'd be nice on our walls. Let's plant some here ... & here."

Today I spent 3 hours+ ripping the stuff off walls, windows, window ledges, eaves, gutters. There's still stuff there, but maybe only 30% of what had been. I now have to prepare for cleaning off the little brown sucker bits which are left on the wall and then paint over the walls again.

Bastard stuff. If you ever get the chance to choose then, as Zamo and Ro-land advised, "just say 'no' ".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:29 pm

bobo the clown wrote:There are many things I'd change if I had the ability, not least failing to run Owen Coyl over a week before the Stoke game. One somewhat more prosaic case would be the day I and Mrs Clown decided "Ivy, now that'd be nice on our walls. Let's plant some here ... & here."

Today I spent 3 hours+ ripping the stuff off walls, windows, window ledges, eaves, gutters. There's still stuff there, but maybe only 30% of what had been. I now have to prepare for cleaning off the little brown sucker bits which are left on the wall and then paint over the walls again.

Bastard stuff. If you ever get the chance to choose then, as Zamo and Ro-land advised, "just say 'no' ".

:lol:

Previous (semi-detached) neighbours back home had ivy, pain in the arse. And it doesn't respect fecking boundaries either. New ones got rid of most of it, though left a bit. He's still constantly having to faff with it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:38 pm

Prufrock wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:There are many things I'd change if I had the ability, not least failing to run Owen Coyl over a week before the Stoke game. One somewhat more prosaic case would be the day I and Mrs Clown decided "Ivy, now that'd be nice on our walls. Let's plant some here ... & here."

:lol:

Previous (semi-detached) neighbours back home had ivy, pain in the arse. And it doesn't respect fecking boundaries either. New ones got rid of most of it, though left a bit. He's still constantly having to faff with it.
Put old neighbours had it too. We even got a bit that burrowed through the mortar into our living room :evil:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Nothing, however, rivals Russian vine for its invasive clinging destructive wall-destroying qualities. (Unless of course, in tandem with the Ukrainians, the Syrians have evolved the bugger into ISIS vine).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:13 pm

The dreaded Farnworth couch grass is a worthy rival for any vine. A variety of the well known Tansylvanian werewolf grass it can't be killed by conventional means. Only a solid silver garden trowel with a coating of Charliedimmockus nobra titanium flavoured garlic applied on a full moon night in August will do the trick. Even this has been known to fail consistently. A root traced from the top of Plodder Lane was eventually found in Harper Green.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:16 pm

Yesterday I spent a leisurely morning/afternoon truncating the lives of those plants that grow in inappropriate places, but boy did the little feckers get their own back.
I was scratched by brambles, stung by nettles, poisoned and stained by bindweed, lacerated by thistles, cut by sedge grass, stabbed by a rampant berberis, and finally eviscerated by a triffid. (I made the last one up).
But, it's only now, nearly twentyfour hours since I gave up, and a good five hours sat scratching my back that I've discovered the horrific rash inflicted by my neighbour's invasive giant hogweed! It's not the first time either, it's had me before, the fecker.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:55 pm

Way hey! I've got newts. Okay - technically a newt. But where there's one...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:00 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Way hey! I've got newts. Okay - technically a newt. But where there's one...
Well, that's the end of any extensions or developments at your place then !! For things so rare they prevent developments there don't half seem to be a lot of them.

Meanwhile .... I stood on a frog yesterday, in my garden.

In fact, as we haven't a pond it's more likely to be a toad ... or have been ... a toad.

I was doing some weeding. I guess I disturbed it. I didn't even notice the thing but stepped back and onto something soft. Looked down and saw what it was/wasn't. Quite regrettable .... for it even more so I guess.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:08 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Way hey! I've got newts. Okay - technically a newt. But where there's one...
Well, that's the end of any extensions or developments at your place then !! For things so rare they prevent developments there don't half seem to be a lot of them.

In fact, as we haven't a pond it's more likely to be a toad ... or have been ... a toad.

I was doing some weeding. I guess I disturbed it. I didn't even notice the thing but stepped back and onto something soft. Looked down and saw what it was/wasn't. Quite regrettable .... for it even more so I guess.
Murderer!

But apropos the newts - they aren't all endangered are they? I thought it was just the wavy backed feckers.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Murderer!

But apropos the newts - they aren't all endangered are they? I thought it was just the wavy backed feckers.

If you were to consider developing on their habitat you would need to involve an environmental consultant to advise on their safe removal.

Failing that you could heave them from a shovel blade over to your next door neighbour-but one-but one. No more newt(s).

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Murderer!

If you were to consider developing on their habitat you would need to involve an environmental consultant to advise on their safe removal.

Failing that you could heave them from a shovel blade over to your next door neighbour-but one-but one. No more newt(s).
I wasn't actually planning on developing their (his? her?) habitat - if anything I was thinking of letting more of my vast holdings slide back to a primeval state of swamp. So bring on the newts - if you find one and you're developing, post it to me (in a moist gortex package obviously) and it can join its mates in newt shangri-la.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:21 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Murderer!

I wasn't actually planning on developing their (his? her?) habitat - if anything I was thinking of letting more of my vast holdings slide back to a primeval state of swamp. So bring on the newts - if you find one and you're developing, post it to me (in a moist gortex package obviously) and it can join its mates in newt shangri-la.

You don't want any badgers do you? Trying to relocate some from a new retail store development in Bournemouth. :grin:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Badgers - I'll take badgers. So long as they don't mind sharing with newt(s).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Badgers - I'll take badgers. So long as they don't mind sharing with newt(s).

Oh no, they love Newts! On toast! :lol: