The Gardening Bed

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: The Gardening Bed

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:No animals for sale on my smallholding. I have a rule that I don't eat anything if I know its name after an unfortunate incident many years ago on my friends farm with Bould, the sheep I raised from a tiny lamb. :cry:
Well, don't give them names then !! :conf:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:20 pm

This is the weekend to get the spuds in, isn't it? Although I believe that it's going to be pissing it down this weekend.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:This is the weekend to get the spuds in, isn't it? Although I believe that it's going to be pissing it down this weekend.
Couple, or three weeks yet .... though the lack of cold this winter may mean the soil is warm enough ... maybe.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:27 pm

Were you lot interested in gardening when you were young(er). I can't think of many things more tedious, but it seems to be one of those inexplicable things middle age people like. Is it a generational thing, or an age thing? Like bird watching.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:Were you lot interested in gardening when you were young(er). I can't think of many things more tedious, but it seems to be one of those inexplicable things middle age people like. Is it a generational thing, or an age thing? Like bird watching.
Is it bollocks, I'm still not fecking interested in it.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:44 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Were you lot interested in gardening when you were young(er). I can't think of many things more tedious, but it seems to be one of those inexplicable things middle age people like. Is it a generational thing, or an age thing? Like bird watching.
↑↑↑↑ ...... you don't cut your grass enough.

Pru, once you get a house ... with a garden ... you want it to look decent.Once on top of it the task of keeping on top is relatively easy.

The resl motivation, however, is a nagging wife !!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:23 am

My grass was cut on Monday!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:47 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Pru, once you get a house ... with a garden ... you want it to look decent.Once on top of it the task of keeping on top is relatively easy.

Ha, I feared that would be the answer!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:46 am

I can't stand gardening, so I pay people to do it instead, chiefly so as not to upset the neighbours. However, growing ones own spuds in a bag is a marvelous thing to do. Marvelous. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:28 am

Prufrock wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

To be fair we have around 180 meters of hedging. Beech, Privet, Yew and ... sadly .... half is Laurel. A fine hedge but basically a tree which quickly develops thick, tough branches. A couple of years ago I took to the laurel being sorted by proper men once a year, with chain saws and big ladders and trailers to remove the cuttings. It's the clearance which is the bugger. Once a year, £150 and it leys me keep it in control. I'd never have done that a few years ago. It may be age .... but I'm arguing it is wisdom.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:37 am

bobo is the lawn king!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:46 am

thebish wrote:bobo is the lawn king!
Not after this year's squirrel invasion !! Little fckrs digging up huge swathes of it looking for their nuts. (Insert your own jokes here)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:00 am

Prufrock wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Chuck her the key's - the mower is self propelling - all you gotta do is steer.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Chuck her the key's - the mower is self propelling - all you gotta do is steer.
Women driving? You're advocating this? :|

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:38 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

My wife is the gardener. Of all the gardens I've done next to no work in this is one I like best.

I do contribute, though.

I snip some herbs from it when cooking, enjoy eating its produce and am fulsome in admiring my wife's hard work over an afternoon glass of shandy on a sunny summer's day.

Oh - and as you intimate - it is my job to mow the feckin lawn...

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:10 am

My wife too is the castle gardener. That's not why I don't participate (although I'm quite happy to be a spectator) it's just that I know only too well that if I did a bit of work around the place I'd be chased around the estate by a mad woman wielding a rake or some other sort of tool with sharp bits attached. The problem of course is that she knows things; by that I mean that should I ask a question about a particular plant/tree/shrub I receive an ear-full of Latin gibberish. What's a bloke to do eigh? :D

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:39 pm

Lawns weeded and feeded over the Easter weekend. Spent today scarifying using a Black & Decker electric scarifyer (gave up using a spring tine rake years ago).

Even though I've been doing this for years, it never ceases to amaze me how much unwelcomed stuff comes out of the lawn. Many cubic yards of the stuff.

Sadly, my scarifyer died towards the end. I think the motor's burnt out. Oh well, I think I paid about £35 for it 5 years ago. Paid for itself many times over.
Hope is what keeps us going.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Always hopeful wrote:Lawns weeded and feeded over the Easter weekend. Spent today scarifying using a Black & Decker electric scarifyer (gave up using a spring tine rake years ago).

Even though I've been doing this for years, it never ceases to amaze me how much unwelcomed stuff comes out of the lawn. Many cubic yards of the stuff.

Sadly, my scarifyer died towards the end. I think the motor's burnt out. Oh well, I think I paid about £35 for it 5 years ago. Paid for itself many times over.
You can borrow mine if you need to finish it off.

I'm sure Mrs. Hopeful will be happy to use it during the week.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:51 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:Lawns weeded and feeded over the Easter weekend. Spent today scarifying using a Black & Decker electric scarifyer (gave up using a spring tine rake years ago).

You can borrow mine if you need to finish it off.

I'm sure Mrs. Hopeful will be happy to use it during the week.
Thanks, I might just do that. However, I now have a bona fide reason to spend time reasearching and buying a new toy. :oyea:
Hope is what keeps us going.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Spotted a rat in the garden today - in the late afternoon. Where there's one there will be more.

Any advice on getting rid?