Summer Holidays

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:41 pm
Anyone been to Morocco?
Considering a break at the end of the month and it seems decent accommodation and cheap.
I've not been. But if, theoretically, I'd consider going, I'd watch out for:
Locations that attract large concentrations of white non-Islamic westerners.
Locations where there are very few white non-Islamic westerners.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:10 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:48 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:41 pm
Anyone been to Morocco?
Considering a break at the end of the month and it seems decent accommodation and cheap.
I've not been. But if, theoretically, I'd consider going, I'd watch out for:
Locations that attract large concentrations of white non-Islamic westerners.
Locations where there are very few white non-Islamic westerners.
Read the FO advice, 'terrorist attack likely', sacked it off, shelled out a bit more and going to Madeira thanks anyway.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:44 am

Is that the gov.uk travel advice page? They're proper panic fannies! Went to Macedonia in the summer, terrorism "very likely" apparently :conf:

France is "very likely" too which means presumably the UK would be too. Makes you wonder if they've left enough words to describe, say Syria.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:46 am

Just googled it. "Very likely" too. So the same category for: France, Macedonia and... Syria.

Helpful.

Always fancied Malta though, looks mint.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:46 am
Got married in Malta...well, Gozo. Much preferred Gozo to Malta itself, but both well worth a visit with Valletta in particular visit worthy. The ferry is a nightmare when the Festas are on, particularly the one in August. So pick your timings well or expect to queue for many hours.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:40 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:15 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Got married in Malta...well, Gozo. Much preferred Gozo to Malta itself, but both well worth a visit with Valletta in particular visit worthy. The ferry is a nightmare when the Festas are on, particularly the one in August. So pick your timings well or expect to queue for many hours.
I found Malta to be very similar to the Scilly Isles. A pain to get there. Very claustrophobic. (beyond those overwhelming impressions however, not very similar at all).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:01 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:40 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
I found Malta to be very similar to the Scilly Isles. A pain to get there. Very claustrophobic. (beyond those overwhelming impressions however, not very similar at all).
Once you get away from the congested areas around Valletta, St Pauls etc it's better. Gozo is made up of much smaller villages and doesn't feel like a shit smaller version of Benidorm :D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:33 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:01 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:40 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Once you get away from the congested areas around Valletta, St Pauls etc it's better. Gozo is made up of much smaller villages and doesn't feel like a shit smaller version of Benidorm :D
Spent just a day on Gozo. Mostly I was exploring the underground and above ground fortifications of the Hospitallers, Brits, French, etc. By day 6 I was satiated. I once spent a week on St Mary's (or Hugh's, or whatever it's called). The only two times I was relieved to leave a holiday destination. I fully accept that others may want to spend more time at either destination, but for me, probably not again.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:58 pm

^ I felt the same about Las Vegas. OK for 24 hours but I couldn't wait to leave after that.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:58 pm
^ I felt the same about Las Vegas. OK for 24 hours but I couldn't wait to leave after that.
Somewhere I've never been, nor plan too. Having thought about it, I've only ever planned on visiting two cities. I've been in lots, like Dublin, Glasgow, Turin - but usually just passing through on the way somewhere else that was planned. The only two I've consciously aimed for (as holiday destinations per se) were London and Kyoto.
Then again, thinking about it more, that's wrong too, coz I went to Hong Kong (but stayed on Lantau), and Berlin (but was doing the checkpoint Charlie thing aiming to hitch through the iron curtain countries) - so I'm not counting them, or Cork, nor Agra (just there for the Taj Mahal). I might, one day, aim to go to Cairo Museum, and I wouldn't count that as Cairo either.
[yeh, I know, I'm rambling now...]
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Detested the soulless, classless shithole from the very second I stepped foot in it. I've never loathed a place so much in all of my life. And bear in mind - I was being payed to be there!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:38 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:46 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Detested the soulless, classless shithole from the very second I stepped foot in it. I've never loathed a place so much in all of my life. And bear in mind - I was being payed to be there!
Same here with LA. Also paid to be there and Virgin Atlantic tried to get me to stay longer due to an over booked flight. They literally tried to pay me to stay longer.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Again, not summer - But we generally go to Center Parcs a couple of times per year, but only once this year as kid 1 is school aged and we have to go in Feb half term *gulp*

Anyway, we usually go for the Executive lodges as there's a few of us that go, so share larger accommodation to reduce the cost per person.. This year, however... We've gone for the Exclusive lodge! Just had a look and it looks fecking mint. Hot tub, sauna, steam room, games room with a pool table, balcony in each bedroom looking out into the forest.

Booked archery and paintball so far.. I cannot wait. Love the place
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:16 pm

Not exactly summer either, but off to Barbados tonight (assuming the wife doesn't dislocate her new hip like she did two weeks ago).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:00 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:16 pm
Not exactly summer either, but off to Barbados tonight (assuming the wife doesn't dislocate her new hip like she did two weeks ago).
Nice (Barbados, not Mrs Montys dicky hip). How long for?

Just arrived at the cottage in Wales that we take the dog to a couple of times a year. Firewood all piled up. We're prepared to be snowed in by Wednesday!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:00 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:16 pm
Nice (Barbados, not Mrs Montys dicky hip). How long for?

Just arrived at the cottage in Wales that we take the dog to a couple of times a year. Firewood all piled up. We're prepared to be snowed in by Wednesday!
We are only there for a week at an all-inclusive. February in Wales sound on the chilly side.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.