Summer Holidays

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by William the White » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:44 am

bobo the clown wrote:You'll miss the Play-Off final Billly !!

I have just booked 4 days in Lisbon for April. It's 27 years since last there when it still bore the scars of the Junta years. Despite what they've been through I'm guessing it's moved on somewhat.
Lisbon is a great city, bobo. Gulbenkian a fine, if eclectic, gallery. I love fado - and had the good fortune to catch a legendary fadista in the castle courtyard last time - we turned up for the advertised starting time of 9.00pm... it got going at 10.30... But lots of fado in Alfama and Bairro Alto...

My fave bar is A Brasileira in Chiado, former haunt of poets and oppositional politicos, and comparable to the Cafe de l'Opera in Barcelona... And the fish... this is Portugal and the fish is divine...Sardines and vinho verde would be considered a gourmet's delight, if they weren't so cheap...

good one - report on return, please. :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:00 am

Back late Friday from three days in Barcelona. Possibly my new favourite city. What a fantastically nuts place. Everyone, and everything is mad.

Wednesday eve we went round Cassa Battlo, a lunatic Disney film forest house with a dragon on top just stuck on a street. Thursday we went around the Sagreda Familia. I'm not really a fan of going around churches, once you've seen one etc, but I'd be astounded if there's anywhere else on earth like that place. Doesn't look real, and is genuinely jaw-dropping. Afternoon went for a potter around Park Guell and a nice view.

Friday had the only real disappointment of the tour. Persuaded the girlf we should go do the Nou Camp tour. Wouldn't have bothered with a football tour had we been anywhere else, but figured given the history of the club that there'd be enough to interest her. Barely anything at all about the Franco years, or Catalunia in general and the clubs place in all that. She was bored senseless (as was I tbf) as we just went round a procession of "in year X Barca won Cup Y and Z. In year X+1 Barca won Cup...". Then some replicas of Messis Ballons D'Or and a quick squizz round the ground. Dull, dull, dull. So much to see in that city, don't bother with that!

Fri afternoon we went around the markets on Las Ramblas, had a bit of street food then stopped off the impressive musical fountain show at Montjuik then a 15 (fifteen!) minute bus to the airport.

Food throughout was ace, Bocadillos for lunch, Pinxtos throughout the day and then something more substantial later on.

Top trip, top city. If you haven't been, go go go!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:23 am

Prufrock wrote:Back late Friday from three days in Barcelona. Possibly my new favourite city. What a fantastically nuts place. Everyone, and everything is mad.

Wednesday eve we went round Cassa Battlo, a lunatic Disney film forest house with a dragon on top just stuck on a street. Thursday we went around the Sagreda Familia. I'm not really a fan of going around churches, once you've seen one etc, but I'd be astounded if there's anywhere else on earth like that place. Doesn't look real, and is genuinely jaw-dropping. Afternoon went for a potter around Park Guell and a nice view.

Friday had the only real disappointment of the tour. Persuaded the girlf we should go do the Nou Camp tour. Wouldn't have bothered with a football tour had we been anywhere else, but figured given the history of the club that there'd be enough to interest her. Barely anything at all about the Franco years, or Catalunia in general and the clubs place in all that. She was bored senseless (as was I tbf) as we just went round a procession of "in year X Barca won Cup Y and Z. In year X+1 Barca won Cup...". Then some replicas of Messis Ballons D'Or and a quick squizz round the ground. Dull, dull, dull. So much to see in that city, don't bother with that!

Fri afternoon we went around the markets on Las Ramblas, had a bit of street food then stopped off the impressive musical fountain show at Montjuik then a 15 (fifteen!) minute bus to the airport.

Food throughout was ace, Bocadillos for lunch, Pinxtos throughout the day and then something more substantial later on.

Absolutely recommend Barcelona.

I have only been once when we were staying with friends near Perpignan. Drove two hours across the border and parked near the Sagrada Familia. To be honest most of what there is to see is on the outside with the fantastic sculpting and statues. Although the inside is impressive too. Still unfinished after over 100 years of construction. I doubt they WANT to finish it now.

Caught the Metro then to La Ramblas and walked down from the big square at the top, right down to the port area. A fantastic afternoon, stopping for a bite to eat at the Boqueria St. Josep.

I will go again sometime and hopefully for longer than a day.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:25 am

Four days before I'm due to fly out - full of a cold. fecking brilliant. :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:34 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Four days before I'm due to fly out - full of a cold. fecking brilliant. :roll:
Cheer yourself up by thinking how many people you xan cross contaminate in that enclosed space.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:08 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Four days before I'm due to fly out - full of a cold. fecking brilliant. :roll:
Cheer yourself up by thinking how many people you xan cross contaminate in that enclosed space.
Well, there is that. It probably hasn't helped though with me walking into a mushroom cloud of plaster dust when I got home last night.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:Back late Friday from three days in Barcelona. Possibly my new favourite city. What a fantastically nuts place. Everyone, and everything is mad.

Barcelona in my top five ever. Been half a dozen times. If you take another trip contact me - I'll point you towards some outstanding food in brilliant restaurants/bars.

You didn't do the Picasso museum? :shock:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:22 pm

Well Center Parcs, Cumbria was absolutely ace. Booked to go back next year and also looking at possibly going back later this year.

Superb place.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:14 pm

boltonboris wrote:Well Center Parcs, Cumbria was absolutely ace. Booked to go back next year and also looking at possibly going back later this year.

Superb place.
An unusual spelling - American Center and French Parc.
Glad you had a great time.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:42 pm

off to paris to visit a mate at the end of april. marvelous.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:55 pm

boltonboris wrote:Well Center Parcs, Cumbria was absolutely ace. Booked to go back next year and also looking at possibly going back later this year.

Superb place.
Our Kid and his tribe go there every year. In fact, they only got back on Monday. Been missen for a day out and it's easy to see the attraction. Bit dear though, in't it?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Superb place.
Our Kid and his tribe go there every year. In fact, they only got back on Monday. Been missen for a day out and it's easy to see the attraction. Bit dear though, in't it?
It is when the schools are on hols and the place is full of the Brats!
Defo not value for money then.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:37 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Superb place.
Very topical, Hoboh. If they keep the kids out of school to go then they're in shit. If they go at half term, like last week, then it costs them a King's ransom.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Superb place.
Very topical, Hoboh. If they keep the kids out of school to go then they're in shit. If they go at half term, like last week, then it costs them a King's ransom.
I remember we went to Florida in '99 when I was in primary school, and both my and my brother had 2 weeks off school to go there and it really wasn't a big deal at all, and as I remember it was a fairly common thing to do. It was great as a kid, 2 extra weeks of school and a trip somewhere.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:48 pm

↑↑↑

That, Beefy, is the result of Thornleigh going Comp.

You'd have been flayed alive, on the school stage, in front of the whole population who would have then taken turns in pouring vinegar and salt on you back when it was a proper school.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:26 pm

bobo the clown wrote:↑↑↑

You'd have been flayed alive, on the school stage, in front of the whole population who would have then taken turns in pouring vinegar and salt on you back when it was a proper school.
Like I say, this was Primary School (St. Osmund's). I don't think I ever had time off for hols when I was at Thornleigh.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:29 pm

Beefheart wrote:

Like I say, this was Primary School (St. Osmund's). I don't think I ever had time off for hols when I was at Thornleigh.
Ah ..... well, I still blame it on Thornleigh going Comp.

Facts just get in the way.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:54 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Beefheart wrote:

Ah ..... well, I still blame it on Thornleigh going Comp.

Facts just get in the way.
:twisted:

I get it both ways (oo-er)

Daughter in full time education and a wife who's a teacher. I've never had a cheap holiday in 25 years.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Superb place.
An unusual spelling - American Center and French Parc.
Glad you had a great time.
:roll:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Superb place.
Set us back less than £170 a couple for 3 nights.