Summer Holidays

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Not decided yet.

Going to get a late deal in mid-August.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Not decided yet.

i think I might go on a jogging holiday in Enfield...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 16, 2012 3:25 pm

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Not decided yet.

i think I might go on a jogging holiday in Enfield...

Let me know. You can rent my house the week I'm away. :P

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed May 16, 2012 3:26 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
William the White wrote:For the fifth year on the run, Portugal, in the smallest place on the Algarve, in the same apartment looking out twenty yards to the beach and only a little further to the Atlantic ocean.

There is nothing to do in this place, but laze on the brill beach, swim (more accurately, float), eat the world's freshest fish, drink brill Portuguese wine and read as many novels as i can stuff into 13 nights and days...

This time being joined by a couple of American friends... Which will be nice. We see each other about every seven years and always enjoy...
I've got 6 books lined up so far for my hols, our apartment has a private roof terrace overlooking the med, 50 yards from the beach, there's a supermarket round the corner which sells wine from a Euro a bottle, and we've got about 20 tapas bars within a 3 mile radius...it's going to be a bitch :P

I forgot who posted it now but thanks to whoever for the 'Jumpers for Goalposts' book recommendation, which is on my holiday reading list.
whereabouts are you going ojj?

We are off to Salema.

http://www.portugal-webcams.com/Salema/ ... lgarve.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed May 16, 2012 3:42 pm

William the White wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
William the White wrote:For the fifth year on the run, Portugal, in the smallest place on the Algarve, in the same apartment looking out twenty yards to the beach and only a little further to the Atlantic ocean.

There is nothing to do in this place, but laze on the brill beach, swim (more accurately, float), eat the world's freshest fish, drink brill Portuguese wine and read as many novels as i can stuff into 13 nights and days...

This time being joined by a couple of American friends... Which will be nice. We see each other about every seven years and always enjoy...
I've got 6 books lined up so far for my hols, our apartment has a private roof terrace overlooking the med, 50 yards from the beach, there's a supermarket round the corner which sells wine from a Euro a bottle, and we've got about 20 tapas bars within a 3 mile radius...it's going to be a bitch :P

I forgot who posted it now but thanks to whoever for the 'Jumpers for Goalposts' book recommendation, which is on my holiday reading list.
whereabouts are you going ojj?

We are off to Salema.

http://www.portugal-webcams.com/Salema/ ... lgarve.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A place just east of Malaga called Nerja. It's not too touristy but because i speak-a da lingo anyway then we stick to the older parts of the town which are more inhabited by locals going about their business.

I've good memories of the Algarve, sitting at a restaurant on the dockside at Portimao, sardines being barbecued fresh in front of us...will definitely go back one day !

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 16, 2012 3:44 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
A place just east of Malaga called Nerja. It's not too touristy but because i speak-a da lingo anyway then we stick to the older parts of the town which are more inhabited by locals going about their business.
Nerja is lovely!! been there a couple of times on choir tours... you'll enjoy it!

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed May 16, 2012 3:47 pm

thebish wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Nerja is lovely!! been there a couple of times on choir tours... you'll enjoy it!
I've been there about 10 times before Bish :)
But it is a beautiful place, like a second home.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 16, 2012 3:51 pm

thebish wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
+ 1

After Benidorm wiv ver lads aged about 19 I swore I'd never step foot in Spain again unless it was to go to Spanish Spain. Nerja was everything I hoped it would be. I believe it's a bit more built up now than when I went, but it'll still be wonderful I've no doubt.

Tango likes it there too, Bish. Maybe you could holiday there together :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
+ 1

After Benidorm wiv ver lads aged about 19 I swore I'd never step foot in Spain again unless it was to go to Spanish Spain. Nerja was everything I hoped it would be. I believe it's a bit more built up now than when I went, but it'll still be wonderful I've no doubt.

Tango likes it there too, Bish. Maybe you could holiday there together :D
oh - me and Tango have holidayed together in Nerja many a time!!

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed May 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Little bit more built up, well, modernised is the word i would use, in that they've tried to pedestrianise a lot of areas to make it more suitable for walking through...but it's been done well and respectfully towards the feel of the town. Frigliana up the road too is even more Spanish, worth a visit.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 16, 2012 4:17 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Little bit more built up, well, modernised is the word i would use, in that they've tried to pedestrianise a lot of areas to make it more suitable for walking through...but it's been done well and respectfully towards the feel of the town. Frigliana up the road too is even more Spanish, worth a visit.
Is Brother-in-Law's still going, Jimmy?

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed May 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Little bit more built up, well, modernised is the word i would use, in that they've tried to pedestrianise a lot of areas to make it more suitable for walking through...but it's been done well and respectfully towards the feel of the town. Frigliana up the road too is even more Spanish, worth a visit.
Is Brother-in-Law's still going, Jimmy?
Sure is...closed down for 6 months and is under new management and i hear the tapas are fantastic, so i cant wait to try them :)

Photo courtesy of google maps !

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 16, 2012 4:49 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote: Sure is...closed down for 6 months and is under new management and i hear the tapas are fantastic, so i cant wait to try them :)
Awww take me there, take me there. Not jealous or owt, me. :(

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed May 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Beefheart wrote:Last bit of freedom between finishing Uni and entering the real world full time in September. Flying to Boston the day after my last exam few days there, then off to New York, Philly, Baltimore (just to see if it's really like The Wire and they've got a bust of Frank Zappa there), DC, then a bit of a road trip around West Virginia (mostly inspired by the John Denver song) then to Knoxville, then finally Orlando to use up a couple of 5 day passes with a day left on each at Disneyland originally from '99 (my dad insists they're still valid but we'll see about that) before flying back home. Then one last week of getting merry at University, the Stone Roses gig, then in August a couple of weeks in Italy with some time in the village with family and some time on the beach.
Interesting trip. Boston is a great city apart from the constant reminders that they won the American Revolution. Philly is interesting though some of the denizens should be avoided. In DC the Smithsonian can take a few days (there are actually many different museums). It was a catchy song but I'm not sure you'll enjoy West Virginia - a lot of poor miners and rural inbreds - Delivernace could have been set there (but wasn't). You might enjoy driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia more (you can still go to Tennessee that way). If your Disney World (not land which is far away) vouchers are no good when you are in Kissimmee you might visit Universal Studios rather than give all your trade to Walt. Universal was much more interesting than MGM at Disney, although the Epcot Centre (now Epcot Theme Park I think) is worth a trip.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed May 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Beefheart wrote:Last bit of freedom between finishing Uni and entering the real world full time in September. Flying to Boston the day after my last exam few days there, then off to New York, Philly, Baltimore (just to see if it's really like The Wire and they've got a bust of Frank Zappa there), DC, then a bit of a road trip around West Virginia (mostly inspired by the John Denver song) then to Knoxville, then finally Orlando to use up a couple of 5 day passes with a day left on each at Disneyland originally from '99 (my dad insists they're still valid but we'll see about that) before flying back home. Then one last week of getting merry at University, the Stone Roses gig, then in August a couple of weeks in Italy with some time in the village with family and some time on the beach.
Interesting trip. Boston is a great city apart from the constant reminders that they won the American Revolution. Philly is interesting though some of the denizens should be avoided. In DC the Smithsonian can take a few days (there are actually many different museums). It was a catchy song but I'm not sure you'll enjoy West Virginia - a lot of poor miners and rural inbreds - Delivernace could have been set there (but wasn't). You might enjoy driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia more (you can still go to Tennessee that way). If your Disney World (not land which is far away) vouchers are no good when you are in Kissimmee you might visit Universal Studios rather than give all your trade to Walt. Universal was much more interesting than MGM at Disney, although the Epcot Centre (now Epcot Theme Park I think) is worth a trip.
Thanks for the advice. It is Disney World yes, did Universal studios last time I went (aged 9) and it is definitely better than Disney. As to West Virginia, I was under the impression it was nice to look at! Rivers, mountains...well all the stuff John Denver sings about! If you've any tips on where to go in the cities that would be much appreciated, we've opted to get a New York Pass which gets us entry to a bunch of places there, but haven't much clue with the rest of the cities.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 16, 2012 7:03 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote: A place just east of Malaga called Nerja. It's not too touristy but because i speak-a da lingo anyway then we stick to the older parts of the town which are more inhabited by locals going about their business.
Nerja! Oh, thanks for mentioning that when I'm not going anywhere this year. :(

Wife and I were only talking about it this morning and all the great times we've had there. Went first in 86/87 ( pre Capistrano and time-share) full of bars where flamenco artists turned up and performed for a few beers. Stayed in Hotel Monica down near the Balcon quite a few times. Also, Nerja Club and Villa Flamenca. Apparently, one of my old favourite bars is still going strong: El Burro Blanco, much changed now. Frigilliana is lovely and Nerja's great for day trips to Malaga and Granada. Had so many good times there and I also speak enough of the language to get by. Food? walk up any sidestreet and you'll fall over somewhere decent to eat. Used to be a guy on Burriana Beach cooked sardines in a rowing boat full of sand.

Relax folks, the pic's not Burt Lancaster, just me in 1987 in front of my favourite mountain, "El Cielo" in Nerja.

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed May 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Anyone been to Girona?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Tango's budgie-smuggler shorts!! :shock:

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed May 16, 2012 8:17 pm

thebish wrote:Tango's budgie-smuggler shorts!! :shock:
You were looking at his shorts? Hmmmm...........

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 16, 2012 8:23 pm

jimbo wrote:Anyone been to Girona?
I have. That is, I spent a few hours there waiting for a friend to pick us up to take us across the border to Perpignan. It's a beautiful town with some fantastic architecture and lovely eateries.