creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:51 pm
Glad we figured out the stray 1. Now what happened to the other 10?
Not checked, but...drawn?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Can't rule it out but that seems incredibly high (particularly given the vast majority of the 51 will be T20 and ODIs) when the other option is that Enoch can't count :D.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:10 pm
Can't rule it out but that seems incredibly high (particularly given the vast majority of the 51 will be T20 and ODIs) when the other option is that Enoch can't count :D.

You just want me wasting more of my life!

7 Drawn, 2 Abandoned, 1 No result.

I wondered about that so had to find out. Matches are Abandoned if they don't get to start. If there's some play but not enough to make up a result (Duckworth-Lewis-Stern) it's No result.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:59 pm

It's good to be thorough.

Thanks. You'll be getting Andy Zaltzman's job soon.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:59 pm
It's good to be thorough.

Thanks. You'll be getting Andy Zaltzman's job soon.
I'll give you a heads up when I'm booked in for Edinburgh.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 15, 2019 8:50 am

World cup coming up. In England. England are favourites and justifiably so.

We just chased down 358 against Pakistan as if it were nothing. 30 balls to spare. 6 wickets to spare. Unbelievable really. And that was without our best one day batsman who is also (IMO) the best one day batsman in the world, possibly ever.

Our batting line up for the one day game is absolutely brilliant. I don't think anyone is as good as that. Sure on the wrong day in the wrong conditions we're probably not great at grinding out a score - but if we're unlucky enough to hit that scenario then so be it. On the right day though....don't see many outhitting us.

Our bowling attack is probably one fast wicket taking bowler away from being ideal...but we're hardly alone there. And in Rashid we have that middle overs wicket taker everyone wants.

Going to be an amazing summer for cricket fans with the WC and the Ashes. C'mon England.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu May 16, 2019 4:35 am

Yes, Insano, what's left of my eyebrows rose to my bald patch when I read the result. Looking at the scores (which is all I have seen) seems to indicate a batsman's paradise or some pretty poor bowling and/or captaincy. Two centuries - one each - and decent scores from the other participants pointed that way to my early-morning-reading-brain.

To be honest, though, I have no interest in the 'World Cup' as the one-day game, and the 'T20' game, are an anathema to this cricket follower. The coming Ashes series is a different matter, even though I'm a neutral when it comes to the result.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 16, 2019 8:32 am

Dujon wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:35 am
Yes, Insano, what's left of my eyebrows rose to my bald patch when I read the result. Looking at the scores (which is all I have seen) seems to indicate a batsman's paradise or some pretty poor bowling and/or captaincy. Two centuries - one each - and decent scores from the other participants pointed that way to my early-morning-reading-brain.

To be honest, though, I have no interest in the 'World Cup' as the one-day game, and the 'T20' game, are an anathema to this cricket follower. The coming Ashes series is a different matter, even though I'm a neutral when it comes to the result.
Pitch was good for batting. But that's just modern one day cricket. If the ball is coming onto the bat on a decent track and not getting stuck in the pitch its usually a day for the batsmen. Smallish ground too so high scores expected.

Test cricket is still supreme by a long way for me - but can't help but admire the skill of these one day batsmen. They are so good some of them. Helps that some of the best ones are English currently I guess. But then I enjoy the IPL on occasion too.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 am

Our ODI batting line up is phenomenal. If you’re looking to pick an ‘England’s greatest’ then there’s an argument to put the current top 5 in, probably with flintoff at 6 instead of stokes. There’s the perfect balance with power at the top of the order, the guile of Root at 3, and then the cool headedness of Buttler and Morgan.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 16, 2019 10:35 am

jimbo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 am
Our ODI batting line up is phenomenal. If you’re looking to pick an ‘England’s greatest’ then there’s an argument to put the current top 5 in, probably with flintoff at 6 instead of stokes. There’s the perfect balance with power at the top of the order, the guile of Root at 3, and then the cool headedness of Buttler and Morgan.
Flintoff's ODI average and SR are below that of Stokes. But would be a far better bowling all rounder I guess.

I'd be tempted (though stats don't necessarily back this up) to say from a batting point of view you'd have Trescothick opening with Roy and push Bairstow down the order for the all time greatest. MT in ODI's now - could really be something.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 17, 2019 4:56 pm

Going in to bat needing 341 to win....but no Bairstow or Morgan.....

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:56 pm
It’ll be reet. We’re using these games to rotate prior to the World Cup. So far Vince seems to be playing nicely.

On another note, Malik’s hit wicket dismissal earlier was outstanding and well worth seeing. He got horribly lost in his crease and flattened all three stumps with a full blooded cut!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 17, 2019 7:52 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
It’ll be reet. We’re using these games to rotate prior to the World Cup. So far Vince seems to be playing nicely.

On another note, Malik’s hit wicket dismissal earlier was outstanding and well worth seeing. He got horribly lost in his crease and flattened all three stumps with a full blooded cut!
And then, suddenly......a touch of the wobbles......

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 17, 2019 9:20 pm

But, all well. Won by three wickets with Stokes putting in a great display again. :oyea:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri May 17, 2019 10:08 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:20 pm
But, all well. Won by three wickets with Stokes putting in a great display again. :oyea:
Stokes innings more pleasing than the result to be honest. He’s been poor recently and hopefully he’s got some runs back before the World Cup. Each of our top 6 now seem to be in good nick at the right time.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 17, 2019 10:45 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

I saw that out of the corner of my eye earlier and assumed it had clipped top of off until I heard Vaughan ending himself and then saw the replay. Incredible.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 pm

I'm not a big 1 day fan but this team was incredible before Archer. At home we really should win it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 19, 2019 3:52 pm

What a start to last match of this series. We set Pakistan 352 to win and bang, bang, bang, Woakes has them 6-3 inside two overs. (currently 34-3). Amazing....

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun May 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 pm
I'm not a big 1 day fan but this team was incredible before Archer. At home we really should win it.
I’m not either. I’ve always struggled to recall any ODIs more than a couple of weeks later. This team are making me take more notice though. Bowling is the weakness, and the only worry for the World Cup is the batsmen fail in one of the knock out games as happened in the last champions trophy

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 20, 2019 8:29 am

jimbo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:02 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 pm
I’m not either. I’ve always struggled to recall any ODIs more than a couple of weeks later. This team are making me take more notice though. Bowling is the weakness, and the only worry for the World Cup is the batsmen fail in one of the knock out games as happened in the last champions trophy
If we play every ODI side in the world in a series I bet we would win all of them over 5 matches.

As you say in a one off world cup - its a bit down to luck. Just one match where you lose a toss or the other team has a plan that just works and you are out cheaply and its all over....it doesn't take much.

But this England side IMO is the best around. Will they win? Who knows. But they are special.

We are probably a fast bowler short of perfect - but I'd not say bowling is our weakness. Bowling line up is weaker than batting line up. But which team is that not true for in this game?