creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35977
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:45 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:22 pm
Roy - what was that? In fairness it isn't his game this. Never expected him to last all day. But gave that away needlessly.
It was a shocking shot. What the feck are we doing opening with a guy who should be coming in at 5?
The bigger question than Roy for me - is what is Denly doing anywhere near an England side? Get him out. Get Ali out.

Those have to be two changes plus Archer for Anderson.

Curran and Leach in.

Roy at least batted some time today. I think he's going to frustrate mainly but come off once or twice and score quick runs. I can live with Roy - it isn't ideal but we're limited on options. But Denly is just way off this level. Ali is in a confidence slump and we can't carry two players next test.
Yep, no argument from me.

And not only is Denly now out, he's wasted a review as well. Cheers, Pal :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38536
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Well and truly wallabied by the upside-downers. Don't cry, no excuses, take it on the chin and come back fighting in the next. Doffing the cap to Steve Smith, anything else would be churlish... :pray:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35977
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:40 pm

To have had them at 122 - 8 at one point in their first innings, and to have gone from that to this is nothing other than an absolute shambles.

There are plenty of doubts surrounding our batting line up, but now our attack's equally under the microscope. Now, of course Smith's one of the world's best cricketers, that's not in dispute, but when their batsmen 8 and 9 smack 73 runs between them and remain not out then we're in all sorts of bother.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23504
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:40 pm
To have had them at 122 - 8 at one point in their first innings, and to have gone from that to this is nothing other than an absolute shambles.

There are plenty of doubts surrounding our batting line up, but now our attack's equally under the microscope. Now, of course Smith's one of the world's best cricketers, that's not in dispute, but when their batsmen 8 and 9 smack 73 runs between them and remain not out then we're in all sorts of bother.
And they made that pitch yesterday look like an absolute shirt front!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26216
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:40 pm
To have had them at 122 - 8 at one point in their first innings, and to have gone from that to this is nothing other than an absolute shambles.

There are plenty of doubts surrounding our batting line up, but now our attack's equally under the microscope. Now, of course Smith's one of the world's best cricketers, that's not in dispute, but when their batsmen 8 and 9 smack 73 runs between them and remain not out then we're in all sorts of bother.
In fairness Broad and Woakes did well on Saturday with a softer ball...

I think the attack was unbalanced from the start. Three/four "nip it round corners" types which was great in the conditions first up but then offered nothing off the pitch and they strayed line and length way too much.

Moeen is just poor he's in a rut. Bad timing really. Because on his day he could have ripped through them second innings.

Unfortunately I think we're a bit undercooked and suffering from the WC which I did expect. We don't know our best team and really haven't got enough test specialists especially batting ones - Australia have 4/5 who average over 40 we have 1. If you wanted to say where the difference was for me its pretty obvious. Plus I think the Aussie bowlers are tighter when needed whereas ours spray it about when its flat.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Enoch » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:59 pm

Cracking game of cricket. Not too much between the teams.

Aus won toss
Bloke limped off
Another bloke scores best part of 300
One spinner couldn't hit his hat
and another one could.

All in all though a good contest up 'til Lyon got hold of the ball today.

Looking forward to next Wednesday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23504
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:48 pm

Enoch wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:59 pm
Cracking game of cricket. Not too much between the teams.

Aus won toss
Bloke limped off
Another bloke scores best part of 300
One spinner couldn't hit his hat
and another one could.

All in all though a good contest up 'til Lyon got hold of the ball today.

Looking forward to next Wednesday.
It was a cracking game of cricket. Watching yesterday was tough work. I'm seeing on that one performance a bit more than "not much" between the two teams. Anderson limping off certainly didn't help. If you looked at who'd earned their stripes this match for England you'd probably have:

Burns
Root
Stokes
Woakes
Broad

Not much to holler about outside of that. Look at Aussies and other than Bancroft and Warner struggling, the rest all at least managed a performance in one innings either with bat or ball or sometimes both.

We can't win if it's 9 against 5. :-)

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Enoch » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:55 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:48 pm
Enoch wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:59 pm
Cracking game of cricket. Not too much between the teams.

Aus won toss
Bloke limped off
Another bloke scores best part of 300
One spinner couldn't hit his hat
and another one could.

All in all though a good contest up 'til Lyon got hold of the ball today.

Looking forward to next Wednesday.
It was a cracking game of cricket. Watching yesterday was tough work. I'm seeing on that one performance a bit more than "not much" between the two teams. Anderson limping off certainly didn't help. If you looked at who'd earned their stripes this match for England you'd probably have:

Burns
Root
Stokes
Woakes
Broad

Not much to holler about outside of that. Look at Aussies and other than Bancroft and Warner struggling, the rest all at least managed a performance in one innings either with bat or ball or sometimes both.

We can't win if it's 9 against 5. :-)

Aye, true, I'm just not given to writing folk off so quick.

As a for instance. Denly has been maligned on here a fair bit. Last season he won three awards, including being voted the season's best player by his peers. I don't accept he's become a bad player all of a sudden and think he deserves another go. In this match he could be considered a tad unfortunate to be at the crease when the substituted ball was produced, the only few overs in the game when seam was almost unplayable and then walk into Lyon, whom no one got to grips with today.

Mind you, if he failed twice at Lords he could lick Rioja's bollocks!

I'd like to think there were a dozen world class cricketers available but at the same time, I wouldn't want us winning at a canter all the time.
:wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23504
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:25 pm

Denly hasn't been maligned. Ferinstance, I thought he did great as England's premier spinner and was unlucky not to get a wicket.

Not unreasonable on a discussion forum to question some of the selections in a team. I questioned Denly, Burns and Ali as to whether they were strong enough / in enough form for this series and in the case of two of them, that proved to be a reasonable question to ask. Denly didn't bat well enough and Ali couldn't turn it on a corrugated roof. Equally you could say Burns has had one decent knock.

I don't think it's the same equation for all three - Ali we know could bat and bowl - we've seen him do it in a test arena. Denly we know is a good Championship cricketer which doesn't mean he'll ever necessarily make the step up. He averaged 28 vs West Indies then regressed against Ireland - my guess based on watching those games was that he wouldn't improve much on that Vs Australia. I'd be less fussed if it was Sri Lanka away. :-)

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38536
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:49 pm

Enoch wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:55 pm

I'd like to think there were a dozen world class cricketers available but at the same time, I wouldn't want us winning at a canter all the time.
:wink:
Exactly. That's how it has to be Enoch, especially where the Ashes are concerned. First test came down to a one-innings match which we lost resoundingly. We just have to level it up with the next one. Archer might come as a bit of a shock to them, but he'll have to know this is more than just bowling. Selectors didn't so much get it wrong (Jimmy apart who shouldn't have been risked) as under-performing stuff from some of our lads. Operation "Get Smith out" must be the priority factor, because, let's face it; take away his performance and a different tale would have been told.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Enoch » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:53 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:25 pm
Denly hasn't been maligned. Ferinstance, I thought he did great as England's premier spinner and was unlucky not to get a wicket.

I rest my case.

User avatar
Dujon
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3254
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:37 am
Location: Nr. Sydney (Australia)
Contact:

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Dujon » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:27 am

Right, that's the warm-up game done. When does the first test start? :Jedi:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2724
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:34 am

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by jimbo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:30 am

Who knows. Maybe our part time spinner Denly will turn into the best batsman ever over the next few years!?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26216
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:31 am

Sam Curran will score more runs than Denly - might as well play him because he can also bowl a few overs and is the type who might do well at Lords.

Its a bit frustrating because Archer needs to come in but Lords isn't really where I think he'll shine. We needed him at Edgbaston when the ball stopped moving.

As it stands I don't think England can win unless the conditions have the ball moving round all over the place. If they do we have bowlers to exploit it more than Australia probably.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20149
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:34 am

Woakes record at Lord's is phenomenal.

Think the point of Curran is only partly the runs he brings but also my old drum of allowing Stokes to focus on batting. That article Jimbo posted arguing he sounds bat at three showed a bit difference to his batting when he bowls v doesn't.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26216
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:03 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:34 am
Woakes record at Lord's is phenomenal.

Think the point of Curran is only partly the runs he brings but also my old drum of allowing Stokes to focus on batting. That article Jimbo posted arguing he sounds bat at three showed a bit difference to his batting when he bowls v doesn't.
Yep that's my view. Stokes should be regarded as a batter who bowls only if absolutely required or if conditions suit (reverse).

I'd go with...

Roy
Burns
Stokes
Root
Bairstow
Buttler
Woakes
Curran
Broad
Archer
Leach

I think the bit in that lineup for question is whether you drop Bairstow or Buttler for another more test style batsman an opener maybe and drop Roy into one of their slots.

But I think that team would offer more balance. Leach might have some confidence - Archer has the pace and then Broad, Curran and Woakes can all move it round a bit. Stokes if necessary.

And with Woakes and Curran you bat reasonably deep.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2724
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:34 am

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by jimbo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:17 am

I was being facetious about Denly turning into the best player in the world, but it does highlight how Smith has developed. He was initially picked as a spinner batting at number 7. He looked dreadful and didn’t score any runs early in his test career but has developed his game helped by meticulous preparation.

I’d be interested to see everyone’s selections for the next test. I can foresee a lot of chopping and changing during this series. For a long time our middle order has been seen as a strength; but recent form of Bairstow, Buttler, Ali makes it seem like a very long tail.

Burns
Roy
Root
Ballance
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow
Woakes
Archer
Broad
Leach

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20149
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:26 am

BWFCi's team for me (though v harsh on Leach to bat at 11 after Ireland :D).

I'd probably have Curran ahead of Woakes, and eventual would hope to have Archer ahead of Broad, but that would be my 11.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2724
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:34 am

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by jimbo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:41 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:26 am
BWFCi's team for me (though v harsh on Leach to bat at 11 after Ireland :D).

I'd probably have Curran ahead of Woakes, and eventual would hope to have Archer ahead of Broad, but that would be my 11.
Can’t help looking at that team and thinking that on a bad day the tail starts at 5! That said, I’m not sure there’s much better. Oh to go back to the days where we had a top 7 averaging over 40!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26216
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:12 am

jimbo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:41 am
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:26 am
BWFCi's team for me (though v harsh on Leach to bat at 11 after Ireland :D).

I'd probably have Curran ahead of Woakes, and eventual would hope to have Archer ahead of Broad, but that would be my 11.
Can’t help looking at that team and thinking that on a bad day the tail starts at 5! That said, I’m not sure there’s much better. Oh to go back to the days where we had a top 7 averaging over 40!
Whereas I think its entirely plausible that Curran or Woakes could frequently be top scorer.

We're not winning any tests by batting for two days and scoring 450 plus. So we may as well have the bowling options there and try and get scores that are competitive if we bowl well.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests