creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:13 pm

A one day starting at 6-30 today, England v Pakistan.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:51 pm

Take a bow, Liam Livingstone.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:37 pm

We won the second comfortably enough, so all square in the series right now.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:57 pm

Brilliant T20 win over Pakistan with just 2 balls to spare. Real nail-biter, win the series at the death. Great stuff.... :pissed:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:17 pm

Anyone seen much of the Hundred tonight? I mean it’s essentially good players playing good cricket, but found myself trying to do reverse maths trying to convert the match situation into old money of runs per over. Also haven’t really worked out who I’m supposed to support.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:09 pm

jimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:17 pm
Anyone seen much of the Hundred tonight? I mean it’s essentially good players playing good cricket, but found myself trying to do reverse maths trying to convert the match situation into old money of runs per over. Also haven’t really worked out who I’m supposed to support.
I think 'Manchester Originals' are our lot, Jimbo.

I really am a test match purist, however, if these short formats (a) mean kids might pick up a bat and ball, and (b) bring revenue into the game, then I'm happy for them to go on in much the same way that I'm happy for The Octagon to put panto on at Christmas so that I can sit through a four hour Eugene O'Neill play a couple of months later. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:09 pm
jimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:17 pm
I think 'Manchester Originals' are our lot, Jimbo.

I really am a test match purist, however, if these short formats (a) mean kids might pick up a bat and ball, and (b) bring revenue into the game, then I'm happy for them to go on in much the same way that I'm happy for The Octagon to put panto on at Christmas so that I can sit through a four hour Eugene O'Neill play a couple of months later. ;)
Thing I very much identify as Lancastrian and not Mancunian. The closest city to me is Leeds. I don’t fancy jumping behind anyone associated with there. Might just see who’s my favourite players and go from there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:39 pm

I struggle to see the significant difference between this and t20. I mean you are just bowling 20 fewer deliveries. Bowlers bowl in 5’s and can stay on. But basically just play a 20 over match which are already exciting enough.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:21 pm

I agree. The naming is a nonsense too. .

But I'm broadly for it as long as it gets cricket on terrestrial TV.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:25 pm

Not agin it. Anything promoting the sport is hopefully a good thing - not my cuppa though - just watched the game that had a crowd of 18,000 in, which ain't bad.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:27 pm

https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/the-h ... oo-1113248

Sums up a lot of what I think. Totally take Jimbo's point on the "Manchester" nonsense, and we're at least the lucky ones in that there is at least a team that sort of maps onto Lancashire.

Who are Kent or Essex fans supposed to support? Are Sussex fans supposed to support the team based in Southampton because Archer plays for them? Durham fans to support the team based at Headingly because of Stokes?

I'm still, tentatively for it, because cricket has been off terrestrial TV for so long that almost anything is worth getting it back on.

But the bit about "Dads trying to be down with the kids" is painfully true. The game is good enough to bring in interest without patronising nonsense like city names and decimalisation. They should've just put the T20 on TV.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:27 pm
https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/the-h ... oo-1113248

Sums up a lot of what I think. Totally take Jimbo's point on the "Manchester" nonsense, and we're at least the lucky ones in that there is at least a team that sort of maps onto Lancashire.

Who are Kent or Essex fans supposed to support? Are Sussex fans supposed to support the team based in Southampton because Archer plays for them? Durham fans to support the team based at Headingly because of Stokes?

I'm still, tentatively for it, because cricket has been off terrestrial TV for so long that almost anything is worth getting it back on.

But the bit about "Dads trying to be down with the kids" is painfully true. The game is good enough to bring in interest without patronising nonsense like city names and decimalisation. They should've just put the T20 on TV.
Yep all of this. The only thing you need to do was but T20 on the BBC. It was already jazzed up, it had established teams. I wouldn't even have minded a T20 new franchise competition in England. It works elsewhere and would bring exciting players in. No issue with that and whilst inherently it would suffer some of the same issues as 'the hundred' it would offer advantages over it.

The format is a bit silly. It doesn't make it different or more exciting and frankly its hard to appreciably see what's different about it to t20. Tactically and strategically its the same game. I guess bowlers play a bigger part as they can bowl long spells without a break and I guess that changes things up a bit but I'm unsure that's 'for the better'.

It is the usual muddled thinking and no doubt in a year or two there will be calls for a 'fifty' because 100 balls really is quite a lot and 50 would be enough to have 2 games back to back. I'm not a format snob - I love all forms of the game but there were 3 already - did we need another?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:50 pm

It's not format snobbery. There's IPL, T20 and now the 100. They're not really what I want to watch, jeez I barely watch one-dayers. I mean do you avidly watch women's football, kids football, seniors 5-a-side, walking football? I suspect not all of them, but it's not snobbery, it's preference. I don't object to them being there, they're just not for me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:50 pm
It's not format snobbery. There's IPL, T20 and now the 100. They're not really what I want to watch, jeez I barely watch one-dayers. I mean do you avidly watch women's football, kids football, seniors 5-a-side, walking football? I suspect not all of them, but it's not snobbery, it's preference. I don't object to them being there, they're just not for me.
Wasn’t accusing you of being. There are plenty accusing people like me who don’t see the point of the hundred of being snobs but I’m not. I love t20. I prefer a proper tret match over anything else but still…..

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:03 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:50 pm
Wasn’t accusing you of being. There are plenty accusing people like me who don’t see the point of the hundred of being snobs but I’m not. I love t20. I prefer a proper tret match over anything else but still…..
I know you wasn't, mate. :-) Ignore 'em.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:09 pm

I like cricket where the batters actually try and hit the ball and score runs, rather than stay at the crease for as long as possible, so I enjoy this far more than proper cricket
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:22 pm

The on screen graphics are a bit ceefax-y and busy as feck. I want to look in one place to find out the score, overs bowled etc. Not all 4 corners of the bloody screen. That said, I’ve quite enjoyed the cricket, especially the thought of splitting a 10 ball over and mixing it up with a different bowler half way through. As someone above said, I’m constantly converting and comparing the run chase to runs required per 6 ball over.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:45 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:22 pm
The on screen graphics are a bit ceefax-y and busy as feck. I want to look in one place to find out the score, overs bowled etc. Not all 4 corners of the bloody screen. That said, I’ve quite enjoyed the cricket, especially the thought of splitting a 10 ball over and mixing it up with a different bowler half way through. As someone above said, I’m constantly converting and comparing the run chase to runs required per 6 ball over.
The graphics are horrible. Like who thought that was a good idea? I want to see the score and balls remaining. It’s horrid as it stands.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:49 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:09 pm
I like cricket where the batters actually try and hit the ball and score runs, rather than stay at the crease for as long as possible, so I enjoy this far more than proper cricket
I suppose the argument here is that T20 already fits the bill for you in terms of wanting attacking cricket and it doesn’t need this new version.

Agreed on the graphics. I’m used to being able glance at the screen and immediately be up to speed with the match situation. Here there seems a lot to process with stuff in all corners and along the bottom of the screen. As I said above I then need to convert everything into old money from economy rates to strike rates to required rates for it to have any meaning in my head.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:45 pm

Well, I spent yesterday at OT for the women's and mens matches, and it was an amazing day out. Absolutely loved every second of it, as did the many many kids who were there (and who this is largely aimed at).