creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:39 pm

Yeah - I think that was part of the conversation last test - knowing when to stick and twist, with the emphasis of get on the front foot, all part of the art. They got to 315? for 3....so lost their last 7 for 99...If we get to 315 for 3, I'd fancy us to make more than 99 for the last 7 :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:59 pm

Lyon did Crawley in the flight. Lyon is just too good.

Usual moaning from Vaughan et al but the alternative is just letting Lyon bowl at you which is what he wants.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:14 pm

Vaughan was pretty good in his day. Averaged a bit higher than Zak. Not unreasonable to call out things that could be done better. He's also been a winning Captain in an Ashes series. They're not as far as I've heard advocated going into their shell and just letting Lyon bowl what he wants. Vaughan's strike rate not a million miles slower than Crawley's...So not a "blocker"

I think a lot of what he says has plenty of merit (whether I agree or disagree with it). One of his comments yesterday was that you can't really afford switch-off periods in Ashes cricket. I agree, you're less likely to get away with it in an Ashes test than maybe one against Sri Lanka at home.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:14 pm
Vaughan was pretty good in his day. Averaged a bit higher than Zak. Not unreasonable to call out things that could be done better. He's also been a winning Captain in an Ashes series. They're not as far as I've heard advocated going into their shell and just letting Lyon bowl what he wants. Vaughan's strike rate not a million miles slower than Crawley's...So not a "blocker"

I think a lot of what he says has plenty of merit (whether I agree or disagree with it). One of his comments yesterday was that you can't really afford switch-off periods in Ashes cricket. I agree, you're less likely to get away with it in an Ashes test than maybe one against Sri Lanka at home.
The problem is Vaughan was done by world class bowling too. His criticism is from the point of view that how he played is how you should be done and then you can accept it.

The alternative to not sometimes coming at Lyon is to just let him bowl at you. Or sweep. Which is also risky.

Vaughan can say what he likes but he was done by superb bowling and keeping. Yeah he could have just stayed at his crease and been happy to let Lyon bowl 35 overs with England barely scoring for him. But it’s not how he plays. He would eventually be out doing that anyway as his game isn’t designed for that.

It’s cheap hindsight critique for me.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:05 pm

The old adage of not judging a good score until both sides have batted is ringing true here. Hopefully we can build on this. Great start.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:34 pm

Has McGrath just trodden on the ball again?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:21 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

The problem is Vaughan was done by world class bowling too. His criticism is from the point of view that how he played is how you should be done and then you can accept it.

The alternative to not sometimes coming at Lyon is to just let him bowl at you. Or sweep. Which is also risky.

Vaughan can say what he likes but he was done by superb bowling and keeping. Yeah he could have just stayed at his crease and been happy to let Lyon bowl 35 overs with England barely scoring for him. But it’s not how he plays. He would eventually be out doing that anyway as his game isn’t designed for that.

I don't think it's wrong to want your openers, who have got in, not to get out cheaply. We seem to be at a place where we just say "Doesn't matter, that's the way we roll"

He's not, from what I've read saying "play blockers", just don't get out stupidly. As for the ball, Crawley is about a yard and half short of the pitch of it, which is a criminal offence if you're going to use your feet (irrespective of what type of shot you play when you get there) - he's come down a month too late...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:21 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

I don't think it's wrong to want your openers, who have got in, not to get out cheaply. We seem to be at a place where we just say "Doesn't matter, that's the way we roll"

He's not, from what I've read saying "play blockers", just don't get out stupidly. As for the ball, Crawley is about a yard and half short of the pitch of it, which is a criminal offence if you're going to use your feet (irrespective of what type of shot you play when you get there) - he's come down a month too late...
Vaughan says he came down too early…

Was he not just done in the flight by the best spinner around? That’s what I saw.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:38 pm

jimbo wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:05 pm
The old adage of not judging a good score until both sides have batted is ringing true here. Hopefully we can build on this. Great start.
Came on to say exactly this. It's obviously not a minefield as we presumably thought/hoped on morning 1. As you say, great start, long way to go.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:41 pm

Had my granddaughter visit us today so missed a bit of the action. As ever, I'll stick with my positive "Come on you Whites"....A great fight back so far. :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:43 pm

Here is a game situation. With Lyon off injured and Australia going to the short stuff there is no need to take excess risks trying to hook and pull. Do it if it’s there but otherwise….how long can Aus bowl this stuff for with no spinner?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:45 pm

Pope. What are you doing? Complete counter to the game situation that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:46 pm

For me, he made his mind up, to come down, allowing Lyon to drop the pitch a bit. As a result, he's certainly a yard and maybe 1.5 short of where it pitched. But when you're heading down, you need to make it to the pitch...This isn't exactly where it pitched (it's a little prior) but he's nowhere near it. Most of Crawley's momentum is forwards, but the ball is now about to spin past him.

It's a decent ball from Lyon. But anyone thinking they were a batsman, would be unhappy with where they ended up, methinks.
Crawley.jpg
Crawley.jpg (93.05 KiB) Viewed 132 times
Anyhow, I think Vaughny will have summat to say about Ollie's dismissal too! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:48 pm

Root gets away with one. Now make this count. No need to be going after short stuff like this. No need whatsoever.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:48 pm
Root gets away with one. Now make this count. No need to be going after short stuff like this. No need whatsoever.
Yeah - I think we're at a take a moment and breathe point... :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:48 pm
Yeah - I think we're at a take a moment and breathe point... :-)
Let them break their backs and bowl it for no reward. I’m completely for Crawley or any of them trying to throw Lyon off his length. Because otherwise it’s hard. I guess he’s too good for walking down to and we need to start realising that.

But Lyon might not bowl again this test or this series. And they are asking their quicks to bowl short. Taking it on with the field out is low reward and high risk.

I’m all for Bazball but this is where you let them tire themselves out then cash in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:07 pm

That’s just sheer stupidity. Ridiculous.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:10 pm

I don't think anyone's saying don't come down to Lyon. If anything when Vaughan says he was early, I think he means, it was probably a bit telegraphed for a bowler of Lyon's quality, who's more than good enough to spot it and drop the pitch a bit. If you do come down, even to a fairly average spinner, you have to make pitch, otherwise you're in potential trouble.

Good innings from Duckett and overall not unhappy with what's happened today so far, feels like we're at a bit of a pressure point right now. Root could've been out. Aussies are usually very good at pressuring from this sort of position. :-)

Fairly sure they'll have taken notes from that shot by Harry. It looked proper village... :-)

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:13 pm

Yep. 2 quick wickets here and we’re only one away from Broad coming in. Positive start from Brook, but agree this is a period to let them tire themselves.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:10 pm
I don't think anyone's saying don't come down to Lyon. If anything when Vaughan says he was early, I think he means, it was probably a bit telegraphed for a bowler of Lyon's quality, who's more than good enough to spot it and drop the pitch a bit. If you do come down, even to a fairly average spinner, you have to make pitch, otherwise you're in potential trouble.

Good innings from Duckett and overall not unhappy with what's happened today so far, feels like we're at a bit of a pressure point right now. Root could've been out. Aussies are usually very good at pressuring from this sort of position. :-)

Fairly sure they'll have taken notes from that shot by Harry. It looked proper village... :-)
Duckett and Pope have annoyed me. Both set then threw it away playing into a trap they’d been watching for 6 overs. It’s not like they didn’t know the score. Just no.

Crawley was trying to score against a great bowler.

Taking this short stuff on like this is absolutely pointless. Australia looked dejected. Now they are buzzing and feel in the game.

Utterly stupid. Risk and reward has to be in your favour.