creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:17 am
At the end it’s Englands day somehow….Root mainly! What a knock.
I'll reserve judgement until they've had a go, but from 112-5, a decent recovery, as you say Root, but ably supported by Foakes and Robinson further down the tail. Think we could use another ton. 310 all out looks a lot different than 400.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:11 pm

300 used to sound like a high total in test cricket; now, it isn't. What India do next will probably determine the outcome, then again, it may be that England have done remarkably well, so well done the lads and Joe Root. Armchair cricket, like most sports, is an easy game to play. Doing is is a little bit harder.

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:11 pm
300 used to sound like a high total in test cricket; now, it isn't. What India do next will probably determine the outcome, then again, it may be that England have done remarkably well, so well done the lads and Joe Root. Armchair cricket, like most sports, is an easy game to play. Doing is is a little bit harder.

For sure TD, always quite difficult to judge balance of the game on one inning. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:27 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:17 am
At the end it’s Englands day somehow….Root mainly! What a knock.
I'll reserve judgement until they've had a go, but from 112-5, a decent recovery, as you say Root, but ably supported by Foakes and Robinson further down the tail. Think we could use another ton. 310 all out looks a lot different than 400.
We are in the game and we don’t know as you say what a good score is. But looking at the wickets and what the ball was doing early in the day - 200 looked an incredibly good score let alone 250….

Obviously we shouldn’t turn any first innings runs down but if we are to win this we have to hope that what we have is a good score already. If this flattens into a 400 and our pitch then we probably will be struggling.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:56 pm

That's good, but 5/7 wickets have been from pace rather than spin? Be interesting if it's doing anything like the same after lunch on D2. Sorta hope so

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:56 pm
That's good, but 5/7 wickets have been from pace rather than spin? Be interesting if it's doing anything like the same after lunch on D2. Sorta hope so
I don’t think it will. The movement was all morning session. But the uneven bounce is likely going to get worse. And it was reversing later in the day too.

On paper Anderson and Robinson are the right two for this and then it’s down to the spinners.

But our main hope is the uneven bounce gets worse. I mean look at stokes’dismissal. In theory last day or two that could be very tough batting last. Theory though…..we really do need it to deteriorate.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:17 pm

It's a fecking minefield. You're in the lap of the gods. Batting first (or not being last) is what you want but when it can do anything at any time you'd go first and then hope for the best.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:36 am

Wicket production can be a bit wierd, because of all the weather variables, aside from pitch composition etc. Other than by accident, this one sounds like a leveller... tomorrow will tell, I guess.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:57 am

Bit disappointed we didn't get a few more, but certainly something to work with, and a great little spell off Bashir just before tea. Game on.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:58 am

Positive mood to start the day. Well done England against a decidedly powerful side. Come on... :oyea:

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:00 am

Yeah this is the thing. 350 on this pitch batting first now looks an awful lot. I don’t think this was ever a 400 pitch. Always hard to say but I thought 250 was a par first innings.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:07 am

Yeah - Hartley just got Ashwin with one that barely got off the ground.

Unplayable. And this is Hartley.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:10 am

They got early wickets with some decent bowling TBF. Stokes aside who got a pea roller. We batted pretty disciplined. Rooty wasn't really scrooting it etc. And we had a decent wag.

Bashir (I'm guessing another one from the "stats machine") and Hartley are putting it on the spot. Delighted they've picked themselves up mentally after a proper dicking in the last test.

But for me, the highlight is they've had the nous to be a bit more measured...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:13 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:10 am
They got early wickets with some decent bowling TBF. Stokes aside who got a pea roller. We batted pretty disciplined. Rooty wasn't really scrooting it etc. And we had a decent wag.

Bashir (I'm guessing another one from the "stats machine") and Hartley are putting it on the spot. Delighted they've picked themselves up mentally after a proper dicking in the last test.

But for me, the highlight is they've had the nous to be a bit more measured...
I think Bazball is about positivity in the conditions not just thumping sixes. This pitch is a minefield and playing more cautiously is absolutely the way to go and really it’s only Root who has really looked in control on it.

Big question now is how many their tail gets then how we approach our second innings. I don’t think we should be trying to score quick. There will be lots of time in the game and letting wicket deteriorate further will be a big advantage.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:07 am

You say "and this is Hartley," but in fairness he has 18 wickets and counting...I know I've gone from "who?" To well done selectors and stats dudes. Not sure how many their spinners have bagged, but I doubt they're all in excess of 18.

The only real one in our innings was Stoksey, where it hit his studs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:45 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:26 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:07 am

You say "and this is Hartley," but in fairness he has 18 wickets and counting...I know I've gone from "who?" To well done selectors and stats dudes. Not sure how many their spinners have bagged, but I doubt they're all in excess of 18.

The only real one in our innings was Stoksey, where it hit his studs.
Yeah I wasn’t trying to be unfair just that if balls are doing that I don’t know how we go against their spinners. The tail is wagging a bit here.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:07 am

Yeah bit too waggy for my liking!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:23 am

England's day and currently on top, but need to clear that tail out tomorrow for not a lot.

It looks like a pretty good toss to win and maybe no surprise we took first go with the bat. Not sure I'd pick to bat 4th.

Bit nervous when teams were announced, but fair play to the staff on Hartley and Bashir.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:43 am

Read something that they'd picked the spinners for this partly based on their release point, i.e. both relatively tall so hoping for uneven bounce.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:49 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:43 am
Read something that they'd picked the spinners for this partly based on their release point, i.e. both relatively tall so hoping for uneven bounce.
Yes, think Jimbo said similar, that it was a "data driven" thing..