creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Just came in and saw the score, couldn't believe it.......er, yes, on second thoughts, I could..Well done Ireland for waking us up to taking things for granted.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:51 pm

36-9 now - just bizarre - I'm really not sure how or why this Test Match has been useful for anyone really.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:56 pm

Have a bit o' that, Seamus O'Riverliffey :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:00 pm

38 all out. That's ridiculous. (as was our first innings)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:00 pm
38 all out. That's ridiculous. (as was our first innings)
They'll trounce us at Hurling though... :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:51 pm
36-9 now - just bizarre - I'm really not sure how or why this Test Match has been useful for anyone really.
Personally I think it will have done no harm at all. No side can win all the time or competition itself would be fruitless. We were well challenged and, in time rallied and fought back. Our World Cup winning batsmen didn't look too world-class at all in this test. Facing a couple of big units and being spun a fairytale by Murtagh will surely expose a few weaknesses.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Yeah - the Irish bowling attack is probably county level at best and I suspect that is being generous. Murtagh is "medium" at best and troubled our top order massively. Imagine how Starc and Cummins at 90mph + will fancy it.

Equally the Aussies aren't a great batting line up and our bowling is good.

So I fancy a lot of 3 day max test matches this summer. 150 plays 190 type stuff.

We have a world class ODI side but our test batting is probably one of if not the weakest around right now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:04 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Personally I think it will have done no harm at all. No side can win all the time or competition itself would be fruitless. We were well challenged and, in time rallied and fought back. Our World Cup winning batsmen didn't look too world-class at all in this test. Facing a couple of big units and being spun a fairytale by Murtagh will surely expose a few weaknesses.
So, I'd ask the question again, given your comments, how you think it will have done no harm at all? You point out that our batting didn't look world-class and none of the batsmen came out with much credit over two innings even though Leach and Roy had decent second innings knocks? If they were short of confidence against an Ireland bowling attack, they're going to be even shorter of it against the Aussies.

The bowling didn't fare too badly overall, but then you have to put that against a batting line-up that's hardly county standard.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:16 pm

I think the Aussies will be paying far more attention to our batting exploits in this game rather than the fact we bowled a bunch of semi pros out cheaply in favourable conditions.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:56 pm

It's oh so dark in here.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:59 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:16 pm
I think the Aussies will be paying far more attention to our batting exploits in this game rather than the fact we bowled a bunch of semi pros out cheaply in favourable conditions.
Quite - the fact that a military medium had Moeen jumping around won't have been lost (for example)….

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:40 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:47 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:04 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
So, I'd ask the question again, given your comments, how you think it will have done no harm at all? You point out that our batting didn't look world-class and none of the batsmen came out with much credit over two innings even though Leach and Roy had decent second innings knocks? If they were short of confidence against an Ireland bowling attack, they're going to be even shorter of it against the Aussies.

The bowling didn't fare too badly overall, but then you have to put that against a batting line-up that's hardly county standard.
I think I'd have to answer by referring to your previous comment : " I'm really not sure how or why this Test Match has been useful for anyone really.".....

Surely exposure to something other than an expected walkover, and a wake-up call against an unfancied side, by most of a team who won the O.D.I Cricket World Cup just a week ago has to be a useful pointer to the fact that we're just a week away from the Ashes when this happened? The harm, for me, would have been done if we had sailed out against Oz thinking such a thing as losing to Ireland couldn't happen. It almost did.
Anyway, the highlights are on 5 at 7-O'clock so I'm off to live the game again. :wink:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:58 am

Squad for first test announced earlier than expected. Looks like a strong side to me.

As for the antics of last week, irrelevant.

I can see the scene. "Well done lads, fantastic, World Cup finally won and now we go forward to an Ashes series, come on boys, COME ON!

Oh, before you go, I want you all at Lords next week for a game against, Ireland!"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:00 pm

No surprise picks in there - which isn't surprising. :-)

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:19 pm

No surprises, but they have named 14. Interesting to see how they trim it down to 11, especially in the bowlers.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:53 pm

Apparently Root is going to bat at 3, with Denly at 4. Must say that is a bit beyond me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:53 pm
Apparently Root is going to bat at 3, with Denly at 4. Must say that is a bit beyond me.
The fact Denly is playing at all is beyond me.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:29 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Me too. Has Sam Curran got in?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:29 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Me too. Has Sam Curran got in?
He's in the squad widely expected to miss out though.

Broad, Anderson, Woakes/Archer/Curran/Stone, Stokes - I assume will be the pace attack.

So you've one from Woakes, Archer, Curran and Stone.....

That assumes Broad gets a place which after the Ireland game is a fair assumption. And assumes we don't pick 4 out and out fast bowlers - which we could but leaves a vulnerable batting line up looking even less solid.

Woakes was brilliant against Ireland and Edgbaston is his home ground - but Archer has something different to add in. You've got to say that Jimmy/Broad/Woakes and Stokes in the right conditions are unplayable. On a hot opening day and a flat pitch you'd want Archer for the pace and bounce...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:45 pm

The only point of Denly surely is so Root can bat at 4. If not plenty of middle order batsmen we're trying to somehow fit in.

I'd play Curran but suspect he'll miss out. Think Broad will play. Also think that Archer will play if he is 100% with his side. If not think he'll miss this one and Woakes will play.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.