creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:09 am

Root gone. Huge pressure on the middle order now as we are absolutely miles off being even close to a par score. On this track if you can’t make 350 at the very least you may as well give up.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:09 am
Root gone. Huge pressure on the middle order now as we are absolutely miles off being even close to a par score. On this track if you can’t make 350 at the very least you may as well give up.
Middle order looks long and tail looks short. Part of this has been billed as an Ashes batting place shootout between Pope and Lawrence - who average 31 and 27 respectively in tests and we have Bracey in there too. This could be a car crash.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:50 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:22 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Middle order looks long and tail looks short. Part of this has been billed as an Ashes batting place shootout between Pope and Lawrence - who average 31 and 27 respectively in tests and we have Bracey in there too. This could be a car crash.
The obvious issue being the bowling you get from
NZ at Lords is not close to the treatment you get down under. Skill set different. I like Pope but fear he struggles against real quicks on bouncy pitches.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:54 am

Oh dear. Shocking. Embarrassing. Aussies are going to beat us so badly I’m not even sure we should go. Can they not all have a Covid outbreak?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:59 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:54 am
Oh dear. Shocking. Embarrassing. Aussies are going to beat us so badly I’m not even sure we should go. Can they not all have a Covid outbreak?
Easy to forget NZ are ranked second currently - above Australia. That said, on their own midden, I predict a riot.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:59 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:54 am
Easy to forget NZ are ranked second currently - above Australia. That said, on their own midden, I predict a riot.
NZ are a very good side. I don’t expect us to win but at least compete. Reality is for me we are a poor side who Australia will embarrass. Bowling wise we are strong but obviously spin an issue. Batting wise I can’t remember a worse side. Obviously Stokes helps. But he can’t do it all.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:22 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Who could've possibly guessed with that line-up?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:27 pm

Puts to bed any argument over Buttler for me. Averages 34.5 and it’s improving. He plays. Might also be an argument to play Foakes and Woakes. We need runs. And frankly none of these top order fill me with confidence even Burns against short stuff in Australia looks a bit dodgy.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:27 pm
Puts to bed any argument over Buttler for me. Averages 34.5 and it’s improving. He plays. Might also be an argument to play Foakes and Woakes. We need runs. And frankly none of these top order fill me with confidence even Burns against short stuff in Australia looks a bit dodgy.
I'm not going to rule out Bracey forever, on the basis of his first innings in test cricket being a duck.

Buttler is the bloke in the seat at the minute, but he has never played in Aus and averages about 20 vs them, in England and I don't think he's great at quicks either, specially if they have 3/4 of them in rotation so he's not punting cannon fodder. So I think there's still plenty of argument left - whether anyone is likely to step up and take it, is a different matter altogether :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:16 pm

We're not collapsing; we're just taking a break... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:27 pm
I'm not going to rule out Bracey forever, on the basis of his first innings in test cricket being a duck.

Buttler is the bloke in the seat at the minute, but he has never played in Aus and averages about 20 vs them, in England and I don't think he's great at quicks either, specially if they have 3/4 of them in rotation so he's not punting cannon fodder. So I think there's still plenty of argument left - whether anyone is likely to step up and take it, is a different matter altogether :-)
He plays as a batsman. Because his average of 34.5 is better than just about any other options. Whether he plays as WK too is to be decided. And I agree he probably isn’t as suited to the treatment in Australia but he’s shown an ability to improve and work things out overtime. Which for me puts him in. That’s of course on the basis we are going to go with our strongest and most experienced team down there rather than say play a bunch of younger players for the experience. There’s an argument for the latter as we are going to lose either way and we do need to find out who can sink or swim.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:12 pm

Don't disagree Buttler is in...Not that you'd pick him, but that's Bairstow's test average too (34.1) which I think we'd agreed was nowt to crow about for a wk batsman and certainly nowt to crow about for an out and out batsman. Selectors have a real problem at the moment. We look at top three and it's not as if anyone in Championship who's English are doing any better. But that's sorta the story through the order too. We have 4 of that top 6 who've never played against Aus or in Aus....

We have plenty of holes, just rounded the averages down :-)

Burns - probably in on the grounds there aren't any really better (Ave - 32, vs Aus 39 but all in England)
Sibley - doesn't seem to be learning, (Ave 29 vs Aus N/K)
Crawley - capable but not consistent (Ave 32, vs Aus N/K)
Root - not in his very best form (Ave 49, vs Aus 40, in Aus 38)
Stokes - shoe-in (Ave 37, vs Aus 38, in Aus 34)
Buttler - (Ave 34, vs Aus 20, in Aus N/K)

Not looking good all round.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:12 pm
Don't disagree Buttler is in...Not that you'd pick him, but that's Bairstow's test average too (34.1) which I think we'd agreed was nowt to crow about for a wk batsman and certainly nowt to crow about for an out and out batsman. Selectors have a real problem at the moment. We look at top three and it's not as if anyone in Championship who's English are doing any better. But that's sorta the story through the order too. We have 4 of that top 6 who've never played against Aus or in Aus....

We have plenty of holes, just rounded the averages down :-)

Burns - probably in on the grounds there aren't any really better (Ave - 32, vs Aus 39 but all in England)
Sibley - doesn't seem to be learning, (Ave 29 vs Aus N/K)
Crawley - capable but not consistent (Ave 32, vs Aus N/K)
Root - not in his very best form (Ave 49, vs Aus 40, in Aus 38)
Stokes - shoe-in (Ave 37, vs Aus 38, in Aus 34)
Buttler - (Ave 34, vs Aus 20, in Aus N/K)

Not looking good all round.
Difference is Buttlers average is improving whereas Bairstows is on the decline. No idea what’s happened to Johnny in test cricket but it’s a shame.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:34 pm

Quite, so you could draw the conclusion that Buttler has some way to go, to match Bairstow at his peak...which was when England started fecking about with him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:41 pm

Good ton by Burns

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:27 pm

Fine fight back from Burns and the score is respectable again now with just 103 of a deficit. No large ladies with fancy dress outfits seen in the audience as yet. :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:28 pm

Burns saved us there. And the rain. Restrict them and we might come away with a draw. Which after first half hours play today would be very creditable.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:28 pm
Burns saved us there. And the rain. Restrict them and we might come away with a draw. Which after first half hours play today would be very creditable.
They could make it really interesting if they have at it this evening....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:28 pm
Burns saved us there. And the rain.
Indeed. Yet still I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see him out fer nowt in the second innings.
This has to be as poor an England batting side as we'll (hopefully) ever see.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:11 pm

200 man's gone (Conway) and N.Z are 39-1. Better.